"His name is..."?

Time for the Game of Thrones equivalent of The Walking Dead's Lucille victim discussion (yay)! The difference being that this one might actually make some sense to discuss. Nonetheless, this is still a discussion that many people might deem pointless. In that case, don't comment, or post a gif that shows your frustration.

In this thread, I'd like to know what you think Jon Snow's real name is. I linked the Tower of Joy scene below in case you want to listen to it again.

enter link description here

After listening to it with headphones turned up as high as possible, I came to the conclusion that the name is not actually said. All I can make out is a kind of 's' or 'ys' sound in the end. People are claiming they heard Aemon, Aegon or even Aejon. Honestly, I hear nothing of the sort. It also looks to me like Lyanna begins with J and not A.

My best guess would be Jaehaerys. It fits with the length of the name, the seeming J at the beginning and the 'ys' at the end. In the end, all we know is that it's definitley not Aerys, as Lyanna would never name her son after the man that killed her father and brother. Maybe it's another Negan scene and it's pointless to discuss it, but I'd be curious to see what the people on here heard anyways.

Comments

• Jon...

JON CENA!

• It's Jon Snow, possibly Stark if he becomes legitimized. Who's going to say different? Ned and Lyanna are both dead.

• Bran isn't. He's the only reason that we as the audience even got to see the TOJ scenes. And what would be the importance of this revelation if they're just going to drop it like it's nothing? If Rhaegar and Lyanna married, then he isn't even a bastard. Poligamy was common with the Targaryens after all, and that would mean that Jon would be a Targaryen. Ned's children also are technically half Tully, but they're still always going to be Starks.

Jon potentially being a trueborn Targaryen is huge. If they're just going to drop it like that, then it'll be extremely disappointing.

KCohere posted: »

It's Jon Snow, possibly Stark if he becomes legitimized. Who's going to say different? Ned and Lyanna are both dead.

• They dont have to drop anything, just dont change his name. Is being called Jaeherys or Aegon or whatever a requirement? All Im saying is Im not calling him Jaeherys, lol.

I guess you have a point about Bran maybe hearing it? But I guess it wouldnt matter since he knows everything regardless.

Bran isn't. He's the only reason that we as the audience even got to see the TOJ scenes. And what would be the importance of this revelation

• Seeing lore and all, the probability of a marriage between Lyanna and Rhaegar is not huge. Little at the maximum.

Bran isn't. He's the only reason that we as the audience even got to see the TOJ scenes. And what would be the importance of this revelation

• The chart that HBO posted hasn't listed them as married. I guess Jon is still a bastard then.

enter image description here

Euron posted: »

Seeing lore and all, the probability of a marriage between Lyanna and Rhaegar is not huge. Little at the maximum.

• It does not really matter if they got married or not. Rhaegar had no permission to marry Lyanna, even if someone had information that said that they got married, it would never be accepted.

Euron posted: »

Seeing lore and all, the probability of a marriage between Lyanna and Rhaegar is not huge. Little at the maximum.

• Yes, and she was engaged with Robert in the first place.

ousen posted: »

It does not really matter if they got married or not. Rhaegar had no permission to marry Lyanna, even if someone had information that said that they got married, it would never be accepted.

• Leeroy, surely Leeroy Jenkins

TheFurryOne posted: »

Hodor

• Shit, I walked into that one

Jon... JON CENA!

• Indeed /Teal'c face

Shit, I walked into that one

• I think that his real name is Jon Targaryen. He is a bastard like Gendry Waters of course, but he could claim the Throne, in Winterfell for instance, he is ruling either way (I am considering what his real name would be like in the end, not what his mother intended to call him).

• Jon isn't a Targaryen, he's a bastard, the same way that Gendry isn't a Baratheon. Also, Daenerys has the better claim. She is the daughter of the last Targaryen king on the throne, and has no trueborn, living male relatives. If Jon wasn't a bastard, then his claim would be better as he is male.

Chusets posted: »

I think that his real name is Jon Targaryen. He is a bastard like Gendry Waters of course, but he could claim the Throne, in Winterfell for

• I'm not gonna judge the situation by GOT standards, but by modern standards. I say fuck claims and legitimacy, and order of succession. The better leader should rule, whatever his name or gender. Why does everyone would disregard Daenerys for Jon if he were legitimate just because Daenerys is a woman ? In Dorne, it isn't even a problem. I know that as the son of the firstborn son of Aerys, by the law Jon has a better claim, but it doesn't matter : Dany is a better leader, she has learnt how to rule in Meereen, is counselled by Tyrion and Varys, she has ideals, has made alliances with Great Families and will be loved by the people no matter her claim.

Jon, however, doesn't even want the throne and has no allies except Littlefinger (doubtful) and Davos. Perhaps Sansa will be mad at him because SHE should have get the throne (they would be all dead without her and Jon's leadership nearly killed the whole army) but has been disregarded because she is a woman.

Jon isn't a Targaryen, he's a bastard, the same way that Gendry isn't a Baratheon. Also, Daenerys has the better claim. She is the daughter

• edited July 2016

I never said that Jon is a Targaryen mate. I only said that he could claim the throne, I never said that his claim would be the "right one" or the "better one". I meant that he can come to be known as Jon Targaryen depending on how the series evolves.

Jon isn't a Targaryen, he's a bastard, the same way that Gendry isn't a Baratheon. Also, Daenerys has the better claim. She is the daughter

• why are you so sure he is a bastard?

• Bastards are children born from outer marriage relationships. According to the chart that HBO posted a few days ago, Rhaegar and Lyanna were not married, which means that Jon is a bastard.

joriandrake posted: »

why are you so sure he is a bastard?

• I would rather hear what GRRM says on this, HBO made so many changes already adding or omitting characters that I can only believe the author himself.

Bastards are children born from outer marriage relationships. According to the chart that HBO posted a few days ago, Rhaegar and Lyanna were not married, which means that Jon is a bastard.

• I wonder what would be if Jon is a Baratheon

• He's a bastard. Even if he was Robert's (which he is confirmed not to be), he would still be a bastard because Robert and Lyanna hadn't been married.

I wonder what would be if Jon is a Baratheon

• true I guess, and he already has enough of those

He's a bastard. Even if he was Robert's (which he is confirmed not to be), he would still be a bastard because Robert and Lyanna hadn't been married.

• Is there any reason to think it's not just simply Jon?

• Yes. Ned named Jon for Jon Arryn. The name Jon had no meaning for either Rhaegar or Lyanna, and after Rhaegar named his previous children Aegon and Rhaenys, I doubt he'd settle for something as simple as Jon.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Is there any reason to think it's not just simply Jon?

• Looking at the known valyrian namelist Jon's full name could be something like:

• Jonaeris
    • Jonfarys
    • Jonos
    • Jonarr
    • Jonqar
    • Jonyr
    • Jonemon
    • Jonerath
    • Jonaleth
    • Jonaxes
    • Jonerion
    • Jonarion
    • Jonaryon
    • Jonalys
    • Jonelyx
    • Jonithor
    • Jonaerys
    • Jonarys
    • Jonarax
    • Jonaghar

Yes. Ned named Jon for Jon Arryn. The name Jon had no meaning for either Rhaegar or Lyanna, and after Rhaegar named his previous children Aegon and Rhaenys, I doubt he'd settle for something as simple as Jon.

• I would like it to be Jonaleth, because i'm a fan of Baldur's Gate 2 :P

Looking at the known valyrian namelist Jon's full name could be something like: * Jonaeris * Jonfarys * Jonos * Jonarr * Jonqar *

• Or his real name just doesn't have the syllable Jon in it because as I said, Ned named Jon after Jon Arryn. Rhaegar previously used the names Aegon (the Conquerer) and Rhaenys (his sisterwife) for his children, both important historical figures. He would not settle for something as meaningless as 'Jonyr'. Jaehaerys is still a valid possibility because it is the name of arguably the best Targaryen king ever.

Looking at the known valyrian namelist Jon's full name could be something like: * Jonaeris * Jonfarys * Jonos * Jonarr * Jonqar *

• Of course there is always the possibility the name Jon was fake, but it is still a possibility that a short version of a still unknown valyrian name starting with "JonXYZ" is the full name. We just don't know too many actual Valyrian names, even in the GoT CK2 ModTeam we had to rely on guessing and a rare few cases of contacting GRRM's aide/assistant for an expanded name list.

Or his real name just doesn't have the syllable Jon in it because as I said, Ned named Jon after Jon Arryn. Rhaegar previously used the name

• edited July 2016

Could be Jacerys, like Rhaenaerys' (spelling?) son in the Princess and the Queen, nickname Jace.

Interesting note, Jacerys Targaeryan was the one who went north during the Dance of Dragons to offer the Starks a Targaeryan/Stark marriage alliance, referred to as the Pact of Ice and Fire. This never came to pass with the upheaval after the Dance, but in the World book, Mushroom claims that Jacerys' dragon (cant recall the name at the moment) laid a clutch of eggs somewhere in Winterfell while the lords were meeting.

The Maesters, of course, deny everything that doesn't suit them. Including Mushroom's testimony.

• If you get married without anyones knowledge, it doesn't make you any less married for their ignorance of it.

Just because no one gave these two permission, does not mean they felt that they needed any in the first place.

I feel like IF they did marry, it isn't the impossibility that most paint it. One party comes from a line that routinely practices incest and has been known for polygamous relationships in the past as well, not to mention that pesky prophecy problem. While the other party is known to be wild and impetuous and belongs to a religion that has No Priests. Did they really need anyone but themselves to be wed if that is what they decided to do? Not in my opinion.

Now, getting anyone to aknowledge the union as legit is another story. But, i would put money on Rhaegar figuring that, once he was King, he could make any potential issues dissapear. I mean, it's not like he thought he would lose.

But really, everything is speculation until GRRM gives us the truth of it all. Hopefully sooner than later.

ousen posted: »

It does not really matter if they got married or not. Rhaegar had no permission to marry Lyanna, even if someone had information that said that they got married, it would never be accepted.

• Its possible the graphic only revealed the parentage because that is all they have confirmed so far, rather than any marriage (being married to two wives is not without precedent in House Targaryen) which has not been shown so far.

• I know all of this and polygamy was my first thought as well, but the graphic HBO posted shows that they didn't marry. Maybe that is just a false lead though.

Arya_Stupid posted: »

If you get married without anyones knowledge, it doesn't make you any less married for their ignorance of it. Just because no one gave th

• It is a possibility that they just conveniently left that arrow out, I agree. But with the information we have at hand Lyanna and Rhaegar weren't married.

HDD42 posted: »

Its possible the graphic only revealed the parentage because that is all they have confirmed so far, rather than any marriage (being married to two wives is not without precedent in House Targaryen) which has not been shown so far.

• I like that a lot, as it actually relates to Winterfell and the Starks.

• Yeah, i don't really trust anything that HBO has to say on the subject, to be honest. I'm more interested in how things play(ed) out in the Book universe :)

I know all of this and polygamy was my first thought as well, but the graphic HBO posted shows that they didn't marry. Maybe that is just a false lead though.

• That's why i like it too, it's nice when there are those little connections that tie things together. It's definately my choice for Jon's Targ name.

I like that a lot, as it actually relates to Winterfell and the Starks.

• His best friend is named Jon Connington.

Not that i think that Jon is what Rhaegar or Lyanna would name him, but still. Jon has some meaning to Rhaegar, and there was a Stark named Jon back in the day too FYI :)

Yes. Ned named Jon for Jon Arryn. The name Jon had no meaning for either Rhaegar or Lyanna, and after Rhaegar named his previous children Aegon and Rhaenys, I doubt he'd settle for something as simple as Jon.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.