what did you think of the killing joke movie

Put your thoughts in the comments

Comments

• Copy and paste from what I said in the 2016 Movies Thread:

enter image description here

So I just got back from Batman: The Killing Joke, the movie adaptation of the critically acclaimed graphic novel of the same name by Alan Moore. This movie was produced by Bruce Timm and Alan Burnett, both of which were producers of Batman: The Animated Series, and features both Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill as the voices of Batman and The Joker.

Pros:

• Mark fucking Hamill, by God, this man IS The Joker. Some may think it's Heath Ledger, or Jack Nicholson, but no, it's definitely Mark Hamill. He's been playing The Joker for over 20 years, and this may be his best performance during that span. He absolutely steals the show.
    • The rest of the cast is great as well. Conroy was excellent as Batman, as usual. Tara Strong was good as Batgirl, and everyone else played their parts exceptionally well.
    • It was faithful to the source material. Scenes were taken directly from the graphic novel, including The Joker's infamous monologue. There were obviously a couple of changes, but for the most part, it stuck true to what made the graphic novel such a great read.

Cons:

• The animation is lacking. When compared to the animation of The Animated Series, this movie feels...lacking. It's not bad, but it's not really that good either, it's pretty meh to be honest.
    • The first 30-40 minutes. Obviously, the graphic novel is not long enough alone to be made into a movie, they have to come up with something to pad out the runtime, and what they came up with feels like a rejected episode of The Animated Series. It focuses mainly on Batgirl, and it has the sex scene that people are making the big deal about (it wasn't even that bad, I don't understand why people are making it such a big deal). It really plays no important role to the overall plot and is literally just eating up time.

Overall, the movie is pretty good, I'd give it a 7.5/10.

• While good, it was overall disappointing. The #BatSex thing was kinda jarring but it wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Certain scenes in the movie that you're supposed to take seriously just feel really goofy and take you out of it.

• I saw it in theaters. It was really a treat. We were treated to a mini documentary about Mark Hamill voicing the Joker. I would have enjoyed that more if I wasn't itching to see the movie and they weren't showing footage from the movie. We then saw the movie. I really enjoyed the first part, it could have been a separate movie but I enjoyed it a lot. It's always nice to see Batgirl again. The second part was pretty word for word the comic and it was enjoyable. Of course there were parts in the original book that made me cringe, and seeing those moments on the big screen made me cringe even harder. Aside from that it felt like an awesome ride. I give it an 8.5/10 I really can't wait for it to come out on DVD.

Also I didn't really have a problem with the Batman/Batgirl romance. I actually shipped them back when Batman: Vengence came out on GameCube and she was his main back up in that game. It's my other favorite Batman ship besides Bruce/Vicki Vale of course.

• edited July 2016

I've heard nothing but dreadful things about this film. I pretty much lost all interest when I heard they basically dumbed down Barbara's character to some idiot who only cares about getting in bed with Bruce rather than helping people and I have zero business watching some dumb sex scene that ruins both Barabara and Bruce's characters.

• That documentary was very unexpected! Pretty cool, though I was with someone who hadn't read the book and was a tad nervous they'd give away spoilers in those clips.

swoopysalvo posted: »

I saw it in theaters. It was really a treat. We were treated to a mini documentary about Mark Hamill voicing the Joker. I would have enjoyed

• edited July 2016

I enjoyed it. Sure it has problems. But the only problems are with the Batgirl prologue. Which isn't as bad as everybody said it was. People overreacted the sex scene between Batman and Batgirl, it literally has no effect on the rest of the story. But the actual Killing Joke part is great. Very faithful to the comics. while adding extra scenes to up the runtime to fit for a movie. Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy are awesome as Joker and Batman as usual. Hamill in particular blew me away.

My rating? 8/10

• The film is great. Moore's works have proven to be too much for animations though.

• and it has the sex scene that people are making the big deal about (it wasn't even that bad, I don't understand why people are making it such a big deal)

http://67.media.tumblr.com/008bf6040ba5e6ab5b0c4a895c5c069a/tumblr_inline_nf1q7taZG21qg9l3p.gif
    How fucking dare you, Barbara is like a daughter to him and she's strong and independent and she loves Dick Grayson and Bruce Timm smells like poopoo and stuff and and uh you don't bang your best friend's daughter and shit.

/s

seriously though, i don't mind the scene either but i really don't know why it was there, it didn't add anything to the story and it's made even worse by the fact that they didn't have the balls to make it a full sex scene (a tasteful one) in an R-rated movie, i mean why add something like that just to cut midway and then never reference it again. It's fucking dumb.

Copy and paste from what I said in the 2016 Movies Thread: So I just got back from Batman: The Killing Joke, the movie adaptation of

• The prologue was okay but useless and the rest was beautiful, i have never seen a movie so faithful to the source material. I give it a 8/10.

• edited July 2016

Really? I've kept hearing Conroy and Hamill were extremely flat in their delivery and I wasn't impressed with the acting from the trailer either.

bloop posted: »

I enjoyed it. Sure it has problems. But the only problems are with the Batgirl prologue. Which isn't as bad as everybody said it was. People

• The Killing Joke Video Review

I'd love for you guys to check out my video review of the film. I think I enjoyed it more than most would. The controversy didn't really bother me too terribly much. I don't think it's a perfect adaptation of the source material, but as a film on its own, I think it works quite well.

• edited July 2016

The trailers didn't use their good lines. For example, Joker's song when he's trying to make Commissioner Gordon insane is my favorite. Batman didn't really have any big lines like Joker did. So Hamill is way more noticeable in the movie.

J-Master posted: »

Really? I've kept hearing Conroy and Hamill were extremely flat in their delivery and I wasn't impressed with the acting from the trailer either.

• i loved it! especially the last 30 minutes!

• The first half was boring and unnecessary. Second half was fine though.

• Funny thing, I also heard that musical number apparently was a cringeworthy moment.

The trailers didn't use their good lines. For example, Joker's song when he's trying to make Commissioner Gordon insane is my favorite. Batman didn't really have any big lines like Joker did. So Hamill is way more noticeable in the movie.

• edited July 2016

Double post.

• Well, I personally liked it. Why not see if you can rent it or someone you know has it and watch it? You might change your mind.

Funny thing, I also heard that musical number apparently was a cringeworthy moment.

• Honestly, I just don't care for Babs X Bruce, it oversimplifies the relationship to something much more disturbing and shallow.

Well, I personally liked it. Why not see if you can rent it or someone you know has it and watch it? You might change your mind.

• Neither do I, besides I remember in TAS and Beyond Bruce and Barbara were an item them and it never bothered me then. It has no effect on the story anyway. It was a one night stand and neither of them really liked it anyway.

Honestly, I just don't care for Babs X Bruce, it oversimplifies the relationship to something much more disturbing and shallow.

• It has no effect on the story anyway.

and that is my biggst gripe with the story, i expected that to affect the story in some shape or form with Batman saying something to her in the hospital, saying that he loved her and that it wasn't just sex or something (i know that doesn't happen in the comic but neither did the sex so...), anything but instead all we get is a disturbing ending where Batman laughs with the guy who crippled the girl he had a sexual encounter with. I know they wanted keep the movie faithful but i wish they changed some stuff so the story felt more continuous and fluid.

Neither do I, besides I remember in TAS and Beyond Bruce and Barbara were an item them and it never bothered me then. It has no effect on the story anyway. It was a one night stand and neither of them really liked it anyway.

• Honestly I think having it effect the story would have made it worse. The prologue overall feels very out of place with the rest of the story. It's like an more adult version of a average TAS episode. Not saying it's bad, but you can tell the difference between the prologue and actual Killing Joke part. Plus, if they took out Batman laughing with the Joker, people would have flipped.

papai46 posted: »

It has no effect on the story anyway. and that is my biggst gripe with the story, i expected that to affect the story in some shape

• I thought it was okay. The first half hour wasn't bad, but it was unnecessary and really didn't have much of anything to do with the main story. Animation wasn't the best either. The scenes that actually were from the comic were pretty great, and of course Mark Hamill was amazing. But overall, I really don't think the movie did the graphic novel justice.

• I liked the 2nd half more than the prologue.

When I heard that they were giving Batgirl more attention I'm like oh cool sounds awesome.

But now just why? Her having sex with batman just makes her a woman in the refrigerator. Batgirl only mentions the scene once and Batman hardly seems to care. It did nothing to the story.

Now Mark Hammil... OH MY FREAKING GOSH HE IS AMAZING AS THE JOKER IN THIS FILM!. I mean he's always amazing as the joker but in this film it was a darker joker which I liked.

I also liked how they handled the flashbacks and Mark did a other good job of voicing pre-joker.

At the end when they stated laughing I got teary-eyed for some reason. I don't know why I just felt sad.

I loved the animated series when I was younger so hearing all of the original cast was so nostalgic for me.

The "I go looney" song is now stuck in my head. That was a part I was looking forward to see how they would handle that and they did very well!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.