House Branfield POV

enter image description here

House Branfield was presumably a third tier noble house just like House Forrester. Considering Lady Elissa was able to arrange for her eldest daughter to work for Margaery Tyrell its probable that she had some connection to House Tyrell (I like to think they were sworn to the Tyrells, either directly or through an intermediate vassal).

So House Branfield is probably from the Reach, a region of Targaryen loyalists during Robert's Rebellion, which the Branfields fought against and consequently lost their lands and titles.

Also the name - 'Bran' and 'field' is an interesting clue. Just as the Forresters were, well foresters of ironwood, the Branfields presumably amassed a considerable fortune cultivating fields of grain, and the Reach is known as the most fertile of the Seven Kingdoms.

So Malcolm basically came from a family of wheat farmers and is now a hedge knight in Essos serving Daenerys Targaryen. I hope he plays a more prominent role in Season 2, it would be awesome to have him as a POV (kind of wish we could have seen him briefly interact with Gared). He's a seriously underrated character with untapped potential.

What do you think? With Mira dead/determinant and Asher/Rodrik possibly doomed to die midway through S2, what are your thoughts on Malcolm becoming a new POV?

Comments

• that she had some connection to House Tyrell (I like to think they were sworn to the Tyrells, either directly or through an intermediate vassal).

Mira serving Margaery has always been weird to me; she's a daughter of the North, so chosing her as handmaiden (a way to ensure loyalty) don't make sense.
    As for the location of House Branfield: I thought it was in the Riverlands. One wiki mentionned the crownlands. You think it's the Reach. I think one can say one will never know until some announcement from GRRM or Telltale.

So Malcolm basically came from a family of wheat farmers

Huge speculation there.

I personnally would have a problem if he's a POV; he put the interest of his house before the one of his family. "Fire and blood" uh? He can stay at Meeren.

• edited August 2016

I think it's pretty much a guarantee to have a Malcolm POV in season 2, given how the game left him hanging like that.

I'm also interested in finding out more about the Branfields. Malcolms sword is black and red with dragons on the pommel so I bet they were Targaryen loyalists to the end. Would also explain Malcolms eagerness to help Daenerys

• I wouldn't be surprised if he was a POV. Seems awfully strange that Telltale made it so he stays behind no matter what, after all. I don't see any reason why he'd stay behind story-wise, unless they had plans with his character.

• I would assume the only reason Telltale had him stay in Meereen at all was so that they could have more Daenerys in season 2 with him as POV. That's literally it. Given how quickly you can apparently travel to the other side of the world in the game, I wouldn't be surprised if Beskha brings Ryon to Malcolm in Meereen as well.

• edited June 2017

Bringing this back,Malcolm Brandfield has to be the ESSOS POV for season 2.Just for his backstory(memories of the Robert's Rebellion could be included) and his personal ambitions(he was eagerly to join the tag girl,) maybe he wants to bring House Brandfield and fullfil his personal vengeance.
    I like the suggestion of #Harian96, Brandfield possible association with the cultivation of grain which would fit a lot if the house is truly from the Reach.Remember that the Reach is known as the harvest of westeros and they've backed Aerys during the Usurper's days(Bannermen to a more important house such as house Rowan and lost his house from the little part of lands Robert took from some big houses).

Malcolm could have an old bitter rival House back when the house existed and follow his path for revenge in season 2 ;)

• Malcolm's interactions with Daenerys could be equal to the amount of time Mira interacted with Margaery but that's entirely up to Emilia Clarke's availability not to mention her price tag. Not to mention Tyrion coming into the picture.

• House Branfield was likely sworn to the Tyrells.
    Firstly the name- sounds like it belongs in the reach
    Secondly it explains why Mira serves Lady Margaery if Branfield and therefore Lady Elissa (formerly Branfield) has connections with the Tyrells.
    Thirdly the Tyrell's were supporting the Targaryens during Roberts rebellion and Lady Elissa says that "My father's house was once mighty, like House Forrester. But his loyalty to the Targaryens cost us dearly. I watched as countless of our kin fell, saw our lands destroyed, everything we clung to was ripped from our hands." So if the Tyrell's support Targaryens and Branfield is sworn to Tyrell then Branfield has loyalty to the Targaryens.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.