The Zellerbachs

OK, I'm playing episode one again and oh my god the Zellerbachs are the shadiest people ever. When you first meet them at the party, Mrs. Zellerbach drops this MASSIVE HINT at one point, when talking about Thomas and Martha Wayne's deaths and supporting Bruce:

"Our families should flock together. Like birds."

"Like Birds."

That's literally the most unsubtle reference to the Court of Owls, I feel so ashamed that I missed it the first time. For those who aren't familiar with the name, in the comics the Court of Owls is like the Illuminati of Gotham - rich families who subtly work to keep a leash on the city residents so that they always stay on top. I did some googling, and I stumbled upon an IGN interview with the game's executive producer, who names the Court of Owls story arc in the New 52 Batman comic as one of the inspirations behind the plot.

So yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if the Zellerbachs had a pair of creepy owl masks in their bedroom cabinet. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Yeah, it's definitely a possibility.

• I just noticed another thing. As those who have played Ep. 1 already know, Bruce's public image takes a heavy blow when someone leaks information on the Wayne family fortune having been in part funded by Carmine Falcone. We are led to believe the info is fake, and has been released by Mayor Hill to damage Harvey's campaign against him. However, I don't think he's the one who did it. Who do I suspect? Why, the Zellerbachs of course!

It's very simple. When Bruce meets them at the fundraiser, aside from the aforementioned "Court of Owls" hint, there is yet another tidbit of information that is given to us in such a nonchalant and subtle way, it's hard to remember it when the Waynes' scandal comes up. This is how the conversation with the Zellerbachs begin.

HARVEY: Mr. Wayne, I'd like to introduce you to...

BRUCE: Shakes hands with the Zellerbachs Bob and Regina Zellerbachs. Of course I know these two!

REGINA: Hello, Bruce!

BRUCE: Regina here is the chairwoman of Wayne Enterprises and her husband--

BOB: Voted for Mayor Hill last time.

Regina is the CHAIRWOMAN OF WAYNE ENTERPRISES. Meaning, she has access to all of the Waynes' financial document. Meanwhile, Bob makes it clear that THEY SUPPORTED HILL'S ELECTION IN THE PAST. Meaning, they have potential motive to ruin Harvey's campaign. This leads me to believe that Hill is in fact, the Zellerbachs' (and potentially the Court's) puppet. Falcone and the Waynes probably opposed the Court, albeit for different reasons (the Waynes for the wellbeing of the people, while Falcone out of personal ambition), but after the Waynes died, Falcone was left with no ally against the Court, and was therefore easily put in check. When Harvey campaigns for Mayor, Falcone sees the opportunity to get rid of Hill -- and therefore, the Court's influence on City Hall -- and endorses him. Seeing the threat, the Court enacts a twofo plan: Regina leaks the info regarding the Waynes and Falcone's allegiance to damage Bruce's rep and Harvey's campaign; and they give Hill evidence of Falcone's crimes (that they probably had in store as a failsafe) so that he can remove the gangster from the board. Unfortunately, Catwoman and Batman steal the evidence. At this point, things get muddled. It could be that the Zellerbachs were behind the dock massacre too -- a way to implicate Falcone and lead the police to him -- but it is also possible that someone else (Catwoman's employer, possibly) is responsible for that.

That's my theory. I think it's just too convenient for Regina to be the chairwoman of Wayne Enterprises, when a leak regarding the company's funds is released to the press.

• Yes, I agree. We discussed this in the other thread about the mystery a bit (you included). I missed the "flock together like birds" part, since I didn't know the Court of Owls, but I was convinced that they're part of some elitist cult/group using Hill as a puppet. They gave me a very bad vibe, whenever Bruce was talking to them.

Their faces are funny, when you use the press conference about the new Wayne Mental Health Clinic (or whatever) to promote Harvey. You say something like... My parents were murdered by a man who would have belonged in a place like this, where he could have gotten the help he needed. So with this place and Harvey Dent let's put a Dent in Crime! ...Then you see their reaction... wow, if looks could kill.

Yes, I expect them to be behind everything. And I think another goal of theirs might be to sabotage the new clinic in order to protect Arkham Asylum, because I guess that they have some stakes there. That would explain, why they also target Bruce and not just to indirectly hurt Harvey's campaign.

• Another thing I noticed is that they seem incredibly CALM after hearing the accusations. They don't even react to be honest, they just leave. So either they knew of the Wayne's interactions OR they set it up.

• They look pretty freaked out to me.

Lord_EAA posted: »

Another thing I noticed is that they seem incredibly CALM after hearing the accusations. They don't even react to be honest, they just leave. So either they knew of the Wayne's interactions OR they set it up.

• Are you sure? In every playthrough I've seen (Still haven't gotten next gen) they calmly exit when they see that the situation has gone out of control.

AgentZ46 posted: »

They look pretty freaked out to me.

• As does Bruce, and he's not involved.

Are you sure? In every playthrough I've seen (Still haven't gotten next gen) they calmly exit when they see that the situation has gone out of control.

• something I just found out that the guy who voices bob voiced lynch from the kane and lynch games

• edited August 2016

Great Catch Salty Tom. Great username too, Lol!

I am not really up on all the Batman history, so i have no clue about the Court of Owls. But like you said, I immediately figured the Zellerbachs for shifty fuckers. They are also the ones who are actually running Wayne industries for the last while so any 'untoward' activities at Wayne must be their influence, IMO.

Just noticed that you pointed this out in your next post... Sorry for repeating a point you already made :)

• lol thanks. I tend to get kinda salty (though not to the point of flaming) when playing video games, hence the nickname.

And no worries! I'm actually really glad someone else caught that little thing on the Zellerbachs.

Also notice how when Regina makes that remark on old families flocking together like birds, Bob turns to her and scolds her: with clenched teeth: "You're preaching, dear." I wouldn't be surprised if what he meant was "Omg bitch shut your yap and stop alluding to our organization".

If you want to know more about the Court, you should definitely check out the Night of the Owls story arc in the comics. It's one of the best things to have come out of the New 52 reboot.

Arya_Stupid posted: »

Great Catch Salty Tom. Great username too, Lol! I am not really up on all the Batman history, so i have no clue about the Court of Owls.

• I still see the possibility that it was an act.

AgentZ46 posted: »

As does Bruce, and he's not involved.

• The only thing I can't sort out is how they plan to escape guilt themselves. If they were such close friends of the Wayne's and actually run the company, wouldn't people eventually accuse them too?

• If people were logical.

Also, they would have probably had the opportunity to frame Bruce somehow. Maybe they ran it all over the new mental institute, where he certainly signed some documents.

The only thing I can't sort out is how they plan to escape guilt themselves. If they were such close friends of the Wayne's and actually run the company, wouldn't people eventually accuse them too?

• Would explain who took the footage of Bruce shaking Carmine's hand.

• Thats a good point about him telling her to shut her yap. Maybe she was thinking about bringing Bruce into the fold, but the rest of the Owl People were against it?

Do you happen to know what issues the Night of the Owls arc is in? Or is it called that?

SaltyTom posted: »

lol thanks. I tend to get kinda salty (though not to the point of flaming) when playing video games, hence the nickname. And no worries!

• I thought it was Viki, if you let her stay. But if the Zellerbachs are trying to ruin Bruce, this makes sense too :)

Would explain who took the footage of Bruce shaking Carmine's hand.

• just thought of something, With the Court of Owls references and the revelation that the Waynes were (and possibly continue to be) involved in mob activity, it's not out of the question that Thomas Wayne Jr. aka owlman exists in this universe and is secretly operating the Wayne criminal enterprise from behind the scenes. And with Hill and Harvey presumably being taken out of the picture soon, it would leave the position of mayor open for Thomas' public persona, Lincoln March, to run for.

• Didn't you just post that thought in the other thread? :D

gmc1992 posted: »

just thought of something, With the Court of Owls references and the revelation that the Waynes were (and possibly continue to be) involved

• oops that kinda happens to me where I accidentally double post lol

Isterio posted: »

Didn't you just post that thought in the other thread?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.