Oswalt's accent?

Why would Oswalt have an English accent if he grew up with Bruce in Gotham? Other than him, I loved the rest of the cast.

Comments

• Good question. There must be a reason since the actor is from the USA.

• Parents might be from England, picked up the accent from them possibly.

• But the Cobblepots are usually depicted as an old Gotham family, like the Wayne's, which the park and statue implies. So if they are English they would have to at least be second generation Americans.

Poogers555 posted: »

Parents might be from England, picked up the accent from them possibly.

• Well maybe in this version, they're not.

knightowl posted: »

But the Cobblepots are usually depicted as an old Gotham family, like the Wayne's, which the park and statue implies. So if they are English they would have to at least be second generation Americans.

• Maybe he watches a LOT of Doctor Who?

• I was asking myself the same question earlier today. Total mystery, except that is just how people imagine how Cobblepot would sound like. Especially since the Arkham games.

• edited August 2016

If Os is going to follow his comic counterpart's sophisticated and gentleman ways, I think giving him an English accent is a better way to sell that than having an American accent. But that is just my opinion.

Or Os is intentionally speaking in such an accent because part of him never let go of his family's wealthy legacy. Speaking in such an accent is the only way for him to keep that.

• edited August 2016

I suspect the real answer to this question is, "Arkham Penguin was popular, so let's keep his English accent." lol

A story reason could be that he spent his formative years (1 to 7 or so) being raised and schooled in the UK. That's the only one that makes sense, to be honest, because his accent comes too naturally for it to have been picked up after that age. The only other reason he'd have for having the accent he does is if he spent a long time practicing it -- but it's not the kind of accent one would practice. It's not posh English, not "Queen's English", it's a regional Southern dialect.

• edited August 2016

I'm shocked nobody mentioned it yet but it's actually shown in the episode itself. Its pretty brief but when Alfred looks up his profile you can see that he was arrested and jailed by the "Essex Police Department". So he went to Essex sometime after his father suicide and that's where he got his accent.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.