What do you think about DC Extended Universe?

So this movie universe has been compared to Marvel Cinematic Universe quite a lot. People are diverse about this universe. Some hate it, some love and defend it to the death.

I first saw Man of Steel and I personally didn't hate it. I love the movie and despite its flaws, I enjoy it quite a lot.

Then Batman vs Superman happened that shattered my hopes. At the time I first saw the movie, I was shocked that I felt bored and unmotivated to watch it. I honestly wanted to leave the theater. For me the movie's problem was its pacing and no moment to let us see the depth of Clark Kent. Although I did enjoy Ben Affleck's Batman, he kinda got the spotlight quite often. I hated Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, when he appeared I just wanted his scene to end.

Granted my opinion on the movie softened over time and I can respect what they wanted to tell. I haven't watched the Extended version yet, but I might in the future.

I haven't watch Suicide Squad. I don't know if I will watch it. I heard that the movie was a mess. Again some love it, others hates it. I am going to take a backseat and wait for a good moment to watch it. But I have heard that the movie development was rushed. The script was completed in six weeks and the reshoot to make it lighter. And there was a lot of deleted scenes, so I heard.

While I still have mixed feelings about this universe. I am still excited for Justice League. I watched the animated cartoon when I was a kid and I love it. And it seems like they are making an attempt to do better.

Sorry for the large text. These are just my thoughts. What are your thoughts about this?

Comments

• The only DCEU movie I've seen so far is Man of Steel, and I loved it.

• edited August 2016

I think now with Geoff Johns in charge, it will get better. I didn't really like the theater cut of BVS, but the ultimate edition actually cleared up a lot of plotholes and makes BVS a little better. More focus on Clark, seeing Lex plan everything out made the movie make more sense. I haven't seen Suicide Squad either though, so I'll wait on that. I'm definitely excited for Wonder Woman and Justice League.

Also, one thing I want to mention. Marvel didn't have agreat start off either. Iron Man 1 was great, but The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 were just awful, Captain America and Thor, being just okay. and then they blew out of the park with Avengers. If you're gonna compare DC to Marvel, actually compare them in the right order, by their phases.

As for actors, I think most play their part well, except for Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. I have no idea how they came to that conclusion. I also don't like the mafia gangster look for Joker, with the tattoos, earrings, and grill. Please just get rid of them and stick him in a purple suit, or at least that black and white one.

• Apologies, I should have mentioned that.

bloop posted: »

I think now with Geoff Johns in charge, it will get better. I didn't really like the theater cut of BVS, but the ultimate edition actually c

• I loved man of steel. I used to hate superman when I was a kid but MoS made me love the character. The bvs theatrical cut is garbage, I loved the ultimate edition though. I haven't watched suicide squad yet but from what I'm hearing the main issues of the movie is the pacing/editing. WB will probably release an ultimate edition on blu ray like they did with BVS but this has to stop. WB should stop interfering and they should give dc comics their own studio. In Geoff Johns we trust.

• BvS is already on DVD?

Tolispro posted: »

I loved man of steel. I used to hate superman when I was a kid but MoS made me love the character. The bvs theatrical cut is garbage, I love

• DonewithDCEU

• Conpared to the DCEU, Marvel had an AMAZING start.

bloop posted: »

I think now with Geoff Johns in charge, it will get better. I didn't really like the theater cut of BVS, but the ultimate edition actually c

• Yes. It came out on june 28th or july 2nd, cant really remember. It's really good. Search for Batman v superman ultimate edition, it should be 3 hours long.

BvS is already on DVD?

• edited August 2016

Well, that's pretty early.

Then again, it is the early bird that makes a better movie.

Tolispro posted: »

Yes. It came out on june 28th or july 2nd, cant really remember. It's really good. Search for Batman v superman ultimate edition, it should be 3 hours long.

• Man of Steel is okay, but Batman v. Superman was just so fucking awful. I have yet to see Suicide Squad, but if that movie is just as bad as BvS, then I will lose all hope in the DCEU. I'm not some Marvel fanboy, but lets face it, the MCU is miles better than the DCEU.

• I'm an everything fan but MCU is by far better. SS isn't as bad as BvS but they've tried to cram alot in, too many flashbacks to show characters and other story lines worthy of longer arcs even own movies. Villian was generic again, as per most CB movies. And didnt understand her much - on a similar level to Malakith in Thor the dark world.

Man of Steel is okay, but Batman v. Superman was just so fucking awful. I have yet to see Suicide Squad, but if that movie is just as bad as

• All pretty average, apart from the awful BvS.

Man of Steel and SS are on the same level, good moments but I wasnt wowed or anything

• None are spectacular but not terrible. Frankly Marvel has beaten DC all to shit as far as movies go with the exception of the Dark Knight. BVS was one of the worst superhero movies I've ever seen (I honestly liked Watchmen better)

• The only DCEU film I've seen so far is Suicide Squad, which I was very unimpressed by. And considering the huge amount of hatred I've seen for their previous films... I think I'll just stick with Marvel when it comes to movies, haha.

• Contains minor movie spoilers!

A comment I read yesterday on YouTube described it best: Watching the DCEU is like being in an abusive relationship. You want and try your best to love it, and you keep coming back, but it constantly betrays you and hurts your feelings. lol

All three movies have good elements which are offset by a heavy helping of directorial Killer Croc-sized faeces, e.g. Man of Steel has phenomenal action and is a great sci-fi flick, but Superman never lives up to the symbol on his chest, i.e. he doesn't give anyone in Metropolis "hope".

Again, BvS has impressive action, but it also has, um ... "Lex Luthor" and his, um ... "motivations" ... also starring Frank Castle as Batman, and Adam Jensen as Superman: he never asked for this.

Suicide Squad's central characters -- particularly Harley Quinn, Deadshot and Amanda Waller -- are beautifully realized and relatable, and I even liked the original version of Enchantress as a character, but the plot is literally "walk through this wrecked city that doesn't seem like an actual place", "beat-up ridiculous Power Ranger-lookin' henchmen", "plug the magic sky-hole before the world is (somehow) destroyed!"

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), Episode 1 of Batman's Telltale series, "A Realm of Shadows", is already a better representation of the DC universe than the DCEU is.

• I think I would have accepted Batman killing people if they simply just gave us a scene where Bruce and Alfred talked about it and we get an explanation why he is so dark in the story.

It could have been like this.

Alfred: "What would Jason think of you if he was here to see you right now."

Bruce: "He will hate me, but he will be alive..."

Achilles321 posted: »

Contains minor movie spoilers! A comment I read yesterday on YouTube described it best: Watching the DCEU is like being in an abusive rel

• It's odd I know but I have to put this on the spot. Doomsday was introduced far too early and looks like shit. Why does he look like a deformed reptile?

• This is a very difficult topic for me to be honest. I´m a comicbook reader since I was...well, since forever. I start reading European comics (I own Tintin in the Congo and the China one, so you know how old school I am XDXD) and eventually started reading DC, Batman. Expanded myself to Marvel and Image in my adolescence years and ended up in Vertigo in my young-adulthood.

I read comics from all companies, I prefer Marvel because the characters are usually more human and chronology is more respected (AKA no fucking crisis) but Vertigo is my true jam. So it breaks my heart to see that when finally this great companies I LOVE reach the mainstream audience like never imagine it all turns into internet madness with insult, threats, petitions to shut down critics online pages... The fan or nerd community in general kind of stop being about loving something and turn into pure hate for some reason, and is mind blowing that when one of this movies is bad you can´t criticize it without being call a Marvel-Fanboy or like it without being called a DC-Fanboy, either Disney literally pays you money to say you like Marvel or you hate them so much that you´ll like the DC movies despite you actually knowing is the worst, there´s no middle ground apparently. And I do not even understand how the sports mentality of opposed teams got into the mix, when both DC and Marvel as companies need each other succeeding.

That being said, as someone who actually wants the DCEU being good, I think is terrible. A Superman that does not smile, a Batman that kills, a Wonder Woman my dick is not afraid of, an edgy Aquaman, and apparently from the trailers of the next movies a serious Cyborg with no sense of humor and Wally West playing Barry Alen as a Spiderman scene in Civil War. WTf?? Warner Bros just wants to get to the success of Marvel studios without none of the hard work, they have characters that are more popular that the ones in Marvel yet they manage to completely screw them as adaptations, the studio is so desperate that forces re-shoots and changes their heart constantly. First they were saying that they were going for the darker, real and serious tone "we don´t make kids movies like those Marvel guys", yet when it back fires they force comedy into re-shoots of Suicide Squad and in a trailer about a movie that we won´t see until what, 1 or 2 years?. You can´t try to hype people for so long and expect the end result to live up to those expectations and you can´t build up a conected movie universe unless you put some ephor into it. And the worst part is that the DC TV shows universe is more fun and entertained than the movies, and darker too!! Not just by sucking the color out of the editing room, but by touching dark subjects or scenes.

The DCEU could be something great, but the people in charge are so desperate to make numbers and money than there´s no love at all, and since there are so many people on the internet saying proudly "fuck critics, I went to see it 10 times so the movie gets it´s money back and Ima give it a 10/10 on IMDB" the message we are sending to Warner Bros is "yes, give us more of this crap, we just need the names of the characters and a cool trailer and that´s enough for us to go ape shit over your movie".

I´ll recommend everyone to hear Kevin Smith speak about his deals with WB when he as writing the Superman movie, there´s this one moment when he says that he tells WB to contact DC for advices and certain creative say in the final products, their response? "those are comicbook people, we make movies". Sadly, this mentality has not change for the past 30 years in Warner Bros, they do not get comics, they do not want to and the only thing they are interested in is the money it brings. And people getting hype about Geoff Jhon involvement thinking he will be DC´s Kevin Feige are terrible wrong, he won´t have that much power, that´s not his only job so he has to juggle that with being a comicbook writer and a DC editor and most importantly he was already involved with one DC movie, Green Lantern, that movie that made sure there´s not a single Lantern would appear as of yet in this DCEU becuase they are still scared of the property.

As usual, sorry for a long post.

• I blame it on Lex's blood. :P

But yeah, it was far too early to use Doomsday and adapt The Death of Superman.

Clemenem posted: »

It's odd I know but I have to put this on the spot. Doomsday was introduced far too early and looks like shit. Why does he look like a deformed reptile?

• True. But Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk are mostly forgotten because of how bad they were. I think most of the problems are WB messing with the regular cut. I have no doubt the ultimate cut of BVS would've scored at least decent, and a lot of Suicide Squad cut footage seems to be SJWs would bash on, like Joker beating Harley, Boomerang being a racist and sexist towards Katana, and Slipknot being a rapist. I just wish though Wonder Woman can be good.

J-Master posted: »

Conpared to the DCEU, Marvel had an AMAZING start.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.