The one person that hated this game and my reasons

So, I didn´t buy this one on the first day, but after some money came into my way I decided to buy it for me and my sister on playstation (I generally play on PC and was my idea to buy it there eventually despite already having it on PS4, that´s how much I have enjoy almost every other TellTale game).

The game starts and intimidatingly I´m not a fan of the editing choice (back and forth between the fight and Batman with Alfred, I know what they were trying, doesn´t look as good in action as in comics, specially when you don´t use visual clues, LIKE COMICS USE), and downright hated the Alfred model. Then the QTE start and something feels weird, it looks like the fight is too complex to have the TellTale system representing it good, and it just feels slow for Batman. And then Catwoman appears and again, another design I disliked, even if Catwoman never had a disguise that hided her identity as well this one seems to be a scuba diving suit with something resembling cat ears, and then Batman talks. Oh boy, voice modulator, for real? From all the version there are out there for Batman, you go with the one I fucking hate, the one from a movie that was controversial at best... Ok. But the shit show was not over yet, oh no, buffed as fuck Gordon, even more buffed as fuck Harvey Dent, SLIM BRITISH PENGUIN... and the voices in each of them hurts me every single time, not a single voice actor of the ones you associate with the characters, not the ones from the series, or the games, or the movies or anything... and call me classicist but I can´t buy a Batman with that voice, I just can´t.

My rage overcomes me and I start scream, and my sister, not a comicbook reader not a Batman fan not even a TellTale fan since she was complaining all the time about the game being slow and boring, she says to me: "They are artist, isn´t that what you always say about movies?", and I understand, she´s right, my entire life I have defend that adaptations are made by artist, and is only natural that those artist want to add their own flavour instead of just doing the same thing the source material is being doing for decades. And then it hits me, that´s bullshit in this case, because Batman is not the highest value of orginality, he´s just a fucking vigilante comicbook character, there are hundreds and hundreds of those, and the only way to differentiate each one is to stablish a certain rules and design choices for each of them, if you´re not doing Batman as I know it, why should I buy the game because it has a name I know?

And the game is not even over, I didn´t liked the models, the voices, and all of that, but what about the story and choices? THat´s when the shit hits the fan, I hate this even more. The story is a weird amalgam version of The Long Halloween and Hush, only more boring, I don´t need another "year one/two" for batman, I have read that shit a thousand times, and see it in movies, and cartoons, can´t we just move out of that? Can´t you just take a clue with the Arkham games and the graphic novels and stories written today? We allready know who is Batman and their villains, WE DO NOT NEED TO SET THE WHEEL IN MOTION FOR THE FUCKEN HUNDRED TIME!! And the choices...brutalize? WHAT? Fuck this, I do not give a shit about the first 3 stories written about Batman when the character wasn´t even call Bruce Wayne, I do not giver a shit about Batfleck, and I do not give a shit about any Batman that can kill, you know what? BECAUSE THAT´S THE POINT OF THE JOKER!!!

The whole deal with the Joker is that he thinks himself to be just like Batman, "you´re just one bad day away from being me Batsie" that´s a classic Joker thing, that´s the point of The Man Who Laughs and The Killing Joke, the quintessential Joker stories, he wanted to push Batman so far that he will see himself forced to kill the Joker. The videogame Arkham Origins, despite all the hate that it gets, is the only modern adaptations of the Joker origins that seems to understand this. A Batman that is willing to torture or kill is a Batman that has already lost his battle with the Joker, because Joker already prove his point, one bad day and suddenly Batman is willing to do the things he does. This was my problem with BvS, and I certainly did not expect a company I consider have pretty good writers in staff do the same stupid error, just because we need those classic TellTale "moral choices", but it doesn´t work with batman for someone that knows and loves the character. And I liked more the one in BvS, because at least I can pretend it´s Thomas Wayne in Flashpoint, another reality Batman, this one though....

And it only serves to add fire to my current animosity towards everything DC is allowing to happen to Batman, rebirth with the 3 Jokers, Batfleck being a serial killer, the Killing Joke animation being terrible and even Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy giving a bad direction and delivering lines in the most lazy and awkward way ("why aren´t you laughing?" totally ruined by Mark Hamill, did anybody ever saw that one coming???), the Batman-verse ending on such a poor note with Arkham Knight and it´s retarded story with Joker blood (yeah, that´s how blood transfusion works, you literally get possessed by the other person´s blood.....) and now this "re-imagining" that eventually feel totally unnecessary and telling a story I have already read but poorly made. Literally the game feels like fanfiction to me, and I hate it. And I can´t refund the game on PS4 so fuck me.

Comments

• edited August 2016

Well, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. I thought it's okay despite certain elements.

I don't think however that Batman killed anyone in this game. Was it possible to kill someone? Because I think Batman might indeed use minor torture to get important information. Otherwise criminals stop being afraid of him. I showed mercy to the guy in the warehouse, but "not killing" isn't really the same as "not hurting". Otherwise he wouldn't be able to fight anyone. Yes, torture is bad, but batman is a vigilante. He breaks all kinds of laws. And if he wants to keep "street cred" he might need to break some bones too. Sure, he might want to intimidate them or trick them first, but what if they still don't tell him, where the bomb is? Do you remember the scene with the Joker in the interrogation room in Nolan's movie? I think he beat up the Joker quite a bit and Gordon was unhappy about it?

A voice modulator is probably the correct solution for a rich guy trying to mask his identity. There probably is software out there that can identify voices, if they have just been "normally" altered. A modulator doesn't allow that (according to some explanations in super hero shows). In this point it's just you, who doesn't like the sound of it. But it actually makes sense. And do you know how many people complain about how Batman talks in Nolan's movies? I didn't mind that, but whatever.

I find it weird that you complain about Batman and the characters not being the same as in the comics or animated shows and movies, but then you also don't want the same stuff (year one and year two) that you already know.

Don't get me wrong. If you don't like it, that's fine. There are more people who dislike certain aspects. Me too. But I think the people in the forum here who scream "worst game ever", "totally hated it all" etc. are overreacting. It's not all bad (yet). I can't really take this drama queen like complaining seriously. In the future wait for reviews and buy the games afterwards or not. I read your post more like you intentionally diss the game in order to get the money back this way.

• Oh nono, he didn´t kill anyone, but the torture or brutalize option was also too far for me. I already said this in another threat, I´m a comicbook reader from a very long time ago, my first Batman owned comic wasn´t even appropriate for my age, it´s hard for me to separate the canon. And when it comes to killing, carrying guns, torture, breaking bones and all of that in terms of Batman I always think of what a friend of mine just to say "you may as well write about The Punisher if you can´t leave violence out of the equation".

The approach Batman takes to violence is very different than this one portrait of the character, therefor I do have my issues accepting it. It is the same thing with the voice modulator, is a new thing implemented in the BvS movie (terrible movie) and in here. Those are the only instances he has ever done this, not even the comics have a voice modulator (although I stop reading at the begging of the NEw 52, it may have being introduced since then), and therefor is something I do not expect or enjoy.

And that thing about my complaining about Batman not changing but wanting not the same as the comics... of course!! Think of it like a new story arc in the comics, you have to take notice in the canon, the previous stuff, and then add to it. The character doesn´t change radically or stays the same when a new artist takes the lead, there´s a balance between the stablish canon and a new story. While in here they are giving a story I already know while changing the canon, it´s the opposite of what a wanted. That´s why the Arkham verse is so praised among fans, yes, it took elements from previous comicbook plots and story arcs, but it add to them instead of changing it and starts in a point where everyone has already being introduced, in fact, it´s a perfect continuation of the animated series universe, written by the same guy, and expanding on the characters already presented in that universe and introducing the ones that never appear in the show (Hush, Azrael and Anarky comes to mind).

I want to leave clear that I dislike the game because of my own bias opinions towards a property I know and love for almost 20 years, I do not know why are other people bashing the game and calling it the worst game ever (which it isn´t), and I buy it without watching reviews and stuff because I own every single TellTale game and I loved all except GoT and I also own all modern Batman games and loved all except for Blackgate and Arkham Knight, so this sounded like a pretty safe bet, yet, despite my comment I do not intended this thread to be a "give me my moneyz back Telltale" because I buy it on a retail store between me and my sister, If I really wanted my money back I would have already return the game at the store.

• As far as I'm concerned all telltale games are legalized fan fiction.

• How DARE Telltale do something original with Batman instead of doing the same thing over and over!

Also, you said that you didnt like the changes they made, and you wanted them to be like the "Batman" you knew. Same looking characters, same goals, same Batman, same Harvey Dent, Ect.

But then you literally say you hate that the story is similar to other Batman stories and you hate it because youve seen it a thousand times.

Sooooooo, do you not like it because its a different Batman? Or do you not like it because its the same Batman? Because it looks to me like that is extremely contradicting.

• If we go by that point of view, then you can technically call The Dark Knight a legalized fan fiction or the Tv-series Game of Thrones a legalized fan fiction. Or any other adaptation in general.

Wigams posted: »

As far as I'm concerned all telltale games are legalized fan fiction.

• edited August 2016

Well, ignoring your personal opinions and focusing on facts you got one thing very wrong, he doesn't kill anyone. Even if you try, he doesn't. Infact he goes out of his way to not kill people:

1) He decides to drag the first robber inside the building and tie him up instead of throwing him off the ledge.

2) He willingly pushes another away from a buzz saw attack that would most likely be fatal.

3) He constantly gives criminals the choice to surrender (And determinantly can say it even more times), using violence only when necessary.

4) Despite having several explosives available to easily kill Falcone and all his men, he uses them as a last resort.

5) Even at his most violent he choses to impale Falcone rather than throw him off the building.

• edited August 2016

Oh my apologies, I had not noticed this comment. Well then its a matter of personal taste. I for one enjoy that the brutality and violence is optional instead of forced like many other companies would have it. The concept of Batman debating how far he should go to stop criminals is nothing new and telltale decided to expand on it. I also enjoy that the game shows segments with Bruce Wayne unlike many who ignore that part of his life even exists.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy the game.

SpaceTales posted: »

Oh nono, he didn´t kill anyone, but the torture or brutalize option was also too far for me. I already said this in another threat, I´m a co

• edited August 2016

You rage and scream because you didn't like the game?

I understand people getting heated but at a point your surroundings start to question your sanity, maybe it goes too far (the screaming part.)

• You're a classicist.

Seriously though, you need to calm down. Some people will not like the game, and there are several valid reasons not to, but your reactions are a little...much.

• Hi golden. It's been a while.

You're a classicist. Seriously though, you need to calm down. Some people will not like the game, and there are several valid reasons not to, but your reactions are a little...much.

• Yes, hello.

Lord_EAA posted: »

Hi golden. It's been a while.

• How's life?

Yes, hello.

• Let's not derail this thread, I'll PM you.

How's life?

• A fan nitpicking the shit out of a different version of a comic book character and universe that has been reinvented and reimagined over a dozen times.....what else is new?

• Nitpicking fanboys usually can't make up their minds what they want.

Poogers555 posted: »

How DARE Telltale do something original with Batman instead of doing the same thing over and over! Also, you said that you didnt like the

• Hey, I'm just curious.

Are you an old man?

• I don't know if someone ask about this already but, is anyone else hate the action command? like, if you do nothing, it still works! you have to miss all of them to die. In all the other TT games, if you miss, well, the character also miss. here, you miss, and Batman still hit his target. at one point I was just doing nothing, except hitting once a command for him to not die. boring.... otherwise , I like everything else.

• How can the TC be an old pan?

Hey, I'm just curious. Are you an old man?

• Hey, I'm just curious.

MichaelBP posted: »

How can the TC be an old pan?

• You're what? Sigh... curse these old eyes, I miss being a young man.

Hey, I'm just curious.

• There are a few that batman can vividly miss, like blocking Catwoman's kick. I'm sure the combat will be updated. So far they were just testing it to see how it works and how the audience reacts to it.

Mneferta posted: »

I don't know if someone ask about this already but, is anyone else hate the action command? like, if you do nothing, it still works! you ha

• edited August 2016

Did you seriously complain about penguin? DID YOU SERIOUSLY JUST SAY THAT YOU PREFER THE FAT MEATBALL OVER THIS VERSION? Take a look at the gotham tv show, the changes made to penguin have made him one of my favorite comic book villains. Batfleck is my favorite version of batman because he's based on the legendary Frank miller the dark knight returns batman. I broke the thug's arm and brutalized falcone because that's what the bronze/modern day batman would do too. Batman's ultimate goal is to strike fear into criminals. Being brutal isn't a new thing that started with bvs, batman has been brutal since the 40s. The golden age batman killed people all the time, with the bronze age and modern day batman being over the top brutal and killing only in special circumstances when there's no other way (coughs except for Frank miller's all star batman and robin coughs ) I have to agree that the 3 jokers rebirth storyline sounds fucking retarded but the new 52 Joker was amazing. Batman is a man after all and has lost control a lot of times. Take batman endgame for example. I wont spoil it for anyone but you know how it ends. Or the killing joke, even the bronze age batman in the killing joke could have killed the joker. "Hush" is another good example where batman almost beats joker to death before jim Gordon interrupts him. (God, I hope this is how jared leto's joker lost his teeth). The Dark Knight Returns batman is one of my favorite versions of batman. A disturbed, psychotic man who can lose control of himself. A mix of Batfleck and kevin conroy batman. The insanity and mental instability of batfleck, along with his violent ways of dealing crime but also Kevin conroy batman who knows when he shouldn't cross the line.

• About the violence:
    I'm not a big comic book reader. But I understand that the older comics aren't realistic or logical etc. With Thor working for Hitler and stuff like that. So if you think of it, how does Batman keep the criminals being afraid of him? They know that he doesn't kill people, right? If he doesn't even hurt them then they just go to prison. They would be annoyed to see the Batman, but not really afraid. OR just afraid of being sent to prison. Because how long will people be afraid of a bat, when they realise that the Batman does no harm? The criminals need to believe that he's dangerous and means them harm, if Batman wants to keep using fear as a weapon.
    That said, I hate versions, where Batman kills people. I agree with you that he has his codex and I love the idea of him trying to do the right thing. It makes him a hero. The Punisher is in my opinion no hero, but he's certainly more effective. I mean .. Imagine how many people would still be alive, if he killed the Joker for example. Since the law can't keep the Joker locked up and doesn't execute him, it only makes sense, if someone else just kills him. I would even argue it's the morally right thing to do. It would destroy Batman, except maybe if he just doesn't save him from certain death.

Voice Modulator:
    I also dislike Batman in BvS. I don't see him as a bodybuilder killing people and only seeing reason, when somebody mentions his mommy. But not everything new is bad. I can imagine that over the years batman also changed a bit in the comics. Like he did on the TV/cinema. The Batman TV show was entertaining and funny, but actually super silly. So I think changes don't need to be bad. A voice modulator just makes sense. Batman uses gadgets. It's a gadget that has a real advantage.

Same but different:
    Yes, I get your point. Many people here might not have the first years of Batman fresh in their memory and after BvS and the Arkham games showing him fight mobsters etc. is probably new for quite a lot of people. I think that's why TTG did it. I'm okay with it. I like it that they also focus on Bruce.

Worst game ever:
    They mention the engine and graphics that is the same in all TTG games. Sure they have a point, but it's just overreacting to get attention, I guess.

I suggest you try to see it as a multiverse story. If you think .. this is not "my" Batman, then try to enjoy it as a similar Batman. I doubt that TTGs adaption will become canon.

Anyway sorry for being a bit too blunt in my first post.

SpaceTales posted: »

Oh nono, he didn´t kill anyone, but the torture or brutalize option was also too far for me. I already said this in another threat, I´m a co

• So there's illegal fan fiction?

Wigams posted: »

As far as I'm concerned all telltale games are legalized fan fiction.

• Don't argue with him. He actually thinks he's insulting the company with this comment somehow. That should be sad enough.

zeke10 posted: »

So there's illegal fan fiction?

• edited August 2016

First you criticize that it's too different from the beloved source material that you've come to love over the years and then you criticize how it's too similar to some other Batman works. Is it too different or too similar?

enter image description here

• no need to be such a dick grayson about it, jeez

• First let me appologize for my editing and spelling. (Xbone doesn't make this easy for me) If you are the TellTale fan you say you are,you know TTG has a history with flaws and the indications are Batman is no different. But I'd say in this may be a case of wanting too much from the first ep. I'm not saying you have to love what was presented. That said on Xbox the user agreement states clearly "no refunds for this purchase" Not sure if PSN does like wise. As far as your review I'll say this. I like your review, even though I completely disagree with the thoughts presented. You've made your case in a way that feels uninsulting to me. I had to point this fact out as I've seen "Pro reviewers " use less tact than you have! If you really want that refund I say you should call Sony's 1 800 number. They may help you out, they once sent me a fifty dollar gift card over a PS2 memory card issue plus a new memory card. It took 2hrs to make happen but it did happen! Sorry you didn't enjoy ep1,I think your cheating yourself out of one of the most important Batman stories in years but if your minds made up this won't change it! Good luck,dragonfire out!

• edited August 2016

. (Xbone doesn't make this easy for me)

good lord, typing all that must have taken ages, I salut your commitment.

First let me appologize for my editing and spelling. (Xbone doesn't make this easy for me) If you are the TellTale fan you say you are,you

• edited August 2016

I've seen plenty of posts from this guy (I'm assuming he's an old man) and he says he likes only likes 60s Batman, so it's probably the former.

ralo229 posted: »

First you criticize that it's too different from the beloved source material that you've come to love over the years and then you criticize how it's too similar to some other Batman works. Is it too different or too similar?

• You're a classicist.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

You're a classicist. Seriously though, you need to calm down. Some people will not like the game, and there are several valid reasons not to, but your reactions are a little...much.

• It did, I really need a new laptop,but you do what you must! I've gotten fair at it but no spell check or autocomplete sux!

. (Xbone doesn't make this easy for me) good lord, typing all that must have taken ages, I salut your commitment.

• Penguin wasn't an ugly little fat guy with a monocle and you started to scream? You should question your sanity before you question the game.

• edited August 2016

Lmao why am I even surprised you said this?

• I loved the part where you screamed in front of your sis.

• edited August 2016

I think he was doing what any super hero would of done - let's use 1 example only:

He decides to drag the first robber inside the building and tie him up instead of throwing him off the ledge. <<<<d*** move (wannabe kill choices aside)

Superman nor Wonder woman would not have thrown him off the ledge.

enter image description here

#1 who tf tries to save the city from crime but then catches a burgalar and is like "oh hoho!!!!" throws him to his death think about it.. like if there was a DC Judge; your hero "card" is now terminated lol

but it's a really good game so far, no one should be mad about Batman's killing preference.. it's only the first episode and it's getting JUICY

Well, ignoring your personal opinions and focusing on facts you got one thing very wrong, he doesn't kill anyone. Even if you try, he doesn'

• trueee omg i was like wtf.. i know i'm not really slow, but sometimes it goes pretty fast and when you miss, it has this noise with it and it's so annoying lol

Mneferta posted: »

I don't know if someone ask about this already but, is anyone else hate the action command? like, if you do nothing, it still works! you ha

• edited August 2016

I dont really see why you dint like the game . this batman is basically the batman you yourself are creating from the ground up if you dont want him to be brutal or to kill you dont' have to, me personally I like to see how evil i can be in a game. So if a kill option is available im Definitely going to take it.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Hope you don't mind, but I went ahead and edited the formatting on your post. No more big text.

I think he was doing what any super hero would of done - let's use 1 example only: He decides to drag the first robber inside the buildin

• oh cool

Deltino posted: »

Hope you don't mind, but I went ahead and edited the formatting on your post. No more big text.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.