The biggest problem with Batman as a heroic character

Batman's popularity is sort of a mystery to me. This video illustrates why:

Other than his rogues gallery, it's hard to understand why Batman has so many fans. There's only one possible reason I can think of: Too many sad schmucks out in the world want to be him.

This isn't meant to be a slam of Telltale's game, but let's face it, how many bankers and billionaires would you REALLY trust at this point?

Comments

• Dorkly is a great site! As far as the assement of Batman as a Hero....He's an Ant-Hero hence the mask! This video even uses this fact to great comedic effect! If you think that Batman should be the villian,you've missed the point. By this logic the following should be villians:Robin Hood, Iron Man,The Fantastic Four,Sherlock Holmes,Charles Xavier + several X-Men. So call me a Schmuck,because I would love to be any of these people! Includeing a banker or billionaire! Richard Branson and Bill Gates both contribute staggering amounts of money to charities. And my aunt was a Branch Manager at Wells Fargo for years(her branch was one that didn't need to pay backany money when the crap went down)she never allowed a"underwater morgage " she never gave a morgage out her clients couldn't afford. It cost her bonues,vatcation time and at one point she had to threaten a lawsuit against corperate to keep her branch opperateing in a non illeagal way! Yes there are bad ppl every where,but saying everyone is "blank" is just not accurate! That said, love that video! :) rant over!

• What do you mean, "what?"

What?

• is your issue with bruce wayne or batman ? im confused

What do you mean, "what?"

• Both. I honestly don't know how I can make it any clearer for you.

is your issue with bruce wayne or batman ? im confused

• its not like you listed actual reasons for not liking him. you just said you dint like him.

Both. I honestly don't know how I can make it any clearer for you.

• I don't like batman personally, and I think it's rediculous how so many believe he could actually beat superman. But I like TT and the Batman universe in general. I don't think he's a hero. I just see him as a vigilante and nothing more. But that my opinion.

• edited August 2016

The problem with that analogy is that Batman is a 1% billionaire who devotes the vast majority of his wealth to charity and improving the lot of the poorer communities of the world. He's a man who actively constantly campaigns for social justice using his wealth as his primary tool. Organized crime isn't something even Marx approved of as he considered it the most loathsome of the proliferate as it preyed primarily on the working class.

In Christian terms, he's the rich man who can fit through the eye of a needle.

More Teddy Roosevelt and Carnegie than Wallstreet corruption.

BTW, I say this as a leftist anarchist. It's why the comic book Anarky can't really grok Bruce Wayne because he's pretty much the polar opposite of how most millionaires in the world operate.

• edited August 2016

sameee! He calls himself a superhero by separating himself from the villains but EVERYONE in Gotham knows he's no different but part of the problem but i do like telltale Batman

enter image description here

MosesARose posted: »

I don't like batman personally, and I think it's rediculous how so many believe he could actually beat superman. But I like TT and the Batma

• Well if you're talking about Batman or Bruce as a playable character in a story based game I could see your point. He has far too much of a set personality. It's like playing TWD as Kenny. I like the Mad Men esque scenes. I like how it delves into the development of the characters and developing others in different ways. The uninvolving action sequences that don't actually matter and some of the voice acting is a little nerve racking.

• A homeless crack addict could take supes if he had kryptonite

MosesARose posted: »

I don't like batman personally, and I think it's rediculous how so many believe he could actually beat superman. But I like TT and the Batma

• edited August 2016

If you've been reading the comics you'd know superman has been building an immunity to kryptonite.

Also you act as if anyone could easily obtain kryptonite.

Edit: I'm not a huge comic fan but I read superman and batman here and there. Angryjoe had an awesome video on superman vs batman. Here it is.

enter link description here

zeke10 posted: »

A homeless crack addict could take supes if he had kryptonite

• So you don't like Batman because he has money?

Anyway, Bruce/Batman is just a great character. There's no doubt in my mind that he is the best character in DC.

• I don't envy him one bit. In fact, I pity him. Not because he still believes everything is black and white but because he can't let go of a burden.
    But that makes it interesting, the constant struggle between Bruce and Bat. Sounds like he needs medical attention and yet go goes out fighting people.
    So yeah, he's the guy no one wants... but it's hard to agree: is it the guy everyone needs?

• Bah! Ressentiment.

• edited August 2016

BUT THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I DID. I can't tell whether you're intentionally ignoring everything I write, or if you're just trolling for the hell of it.

its not like you listed actual reasons for not liking him. you just said you dint like him.

• But you dint maybe your trolling by creating a thread like this!

BUT THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I DID. I can't tell whether you're intentionally ignoring everything I write, or if you're just trolling for the hell of it.

• I always thought of Bruce Wayne and Batman as the person who constantly strove to do the right thing with the resources given to him. In all the iterations of him, I have never seen a selfish or "business" batman. There is a paranoid Batman, the over-zealous Batman, even the self-destructive Batman. All of these are of a man who over-reaches his abilities to try to meet goals. I can truly empathize with that.

How often are our failures and freak-ups due to us reaching too far, pushing ourselves too much or having goals far too advanced our abilities and talents and our resources? At no point however does the Bat stop. Even when crippled, even when hurt, even when exhausted, he never stops. His drive, if not obsession is to make his hometown safe again. I can understand that and applaud that.

Why is Batman easy to empathize and root for? It isn't his resources we admire, it is his goals. It isn't the tools we want, it is the drive. It isn't the power we desire, it is the determination. Batman may be a 1%, a true psychopath and a man with skewed morals and ethics, but he is on the side of protecting the innocent and the weak as he defines it.

Honestly, the person you should be having a discussion as to why people like or dislike would be Anarky. Similar ethics, similar means, similar powers, but one is considered a bad man and one a hero.

• Rich man in the eye of the needle? Doesn't that mean he's doomed to fail? No wonder TT was jacked to make this game. That's a very familiar ground around here.....

The problem with that analogy is that Batman is a 1% billionaire who devotes the vast majority of his wealth to charity and improving the lo

• [removed]

But you dint maybe your trolling by creating a thread like this!

• edited August 2016

wow way to show maturity and skill at grammar by cussing at me, wow and you also threatened me, dont try act hard over the internet bitch, the only reason why I said you were trolling was because all kennyisjesus200 did was say you haven't given any reasons for not liking batman and you haven't, yet you said he was trolling, hypocrisy huh?so no you grow up you butt hurt litte bitch.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.