Telltale should take the opportunity to collaborate on an open-world Batman game

Before playing Telltale's Batman, and probably like many among you, I was confronted with all those negative reviews hammering on the issue of framerates and other bugs. I have to say that I had some of these issues too, even after the latest patch, and that I also noticed some glitches with my in-game decisions (such as with Vicki's recording, which was wrongly displayed as rejected in the Codex, but correctly accounted for in the end credits). All in all, problems I never had with previous Telltale games, and which could have had me surprised if it wasn't quite clear that the Telltale team was split more and more between projects and running more and more against the clock to release the episodes for fans growing ever impatient. Obviously, this is detrimental to the length and depth of the testing period. Another big hole in the boat, perhaps the most symbolic, just as well connected to cuts on time and staff, is the fading of the Telltale sell-phrase that games unfold according to the player's choices. It is now apparent to everyone that the consequences of in-game actions have become mostly cosmetic (a criticism already severe for the Game of Thrones series), and it may be wise for Telltale to reconsider their statement in this matter, as it may pay more to remain honest with the fans.

All that being said, I also found regrettable that most of the reviews I read did not put forward the originality and creativity introduced with this game. Not only what Telltale already said themselves about the involvement as Wayne, but also all that potential gameplay material that has not been used in other Batman game franchises - and that Telltale, most probably, won't be able to use to its full extent in the context of the adventure game. The "attack planer" sequence, for instance, would be a very welcome element of gameplay in an extended Batman game. Now, I have never finished Arkham City - although there are immense qualities to such a game, my fingers get tired in the end. This is not what I'd really expect from a Batman game experience, as a former watcher of Batman: The Animated Series for instance. Not repetitive street fighter-like combats with 40+ enemies, but engagements where investigation, stealth, wits and bat-gadgets are more involved - and why not, first person immersion. In a way, something much closer to Telltale's approach, but not as linear and scripted.

An open-world Batman game, one in which days are Wayne and nights are Batman. One where I can choose to take the Batmobile or the Batplane to go to town. Where I could upgrade them. Where I could research new gadgets and design my own belt. Where I could recruit companions and play mouse with the Cat. Where I go through a Batman chronology, from young to veteran, where the main villains make the progressive main quests while random crime events make side patrol quests. Where I need to find clues and watch my relationship with the NYPD as I unleash my freak side. And so on.

I post that on Telltale's forum because I think they are right now making an excellent background for such a project. And I am sure I would not be the only one to look for a game like that - although I'm guessing that with a Warner backed commercially successful Rocksteady this would be a big deal to conceive. As for a Rocksteady - Telltale alliance, it may be pure fantasy. But I am just dropping the idea here. And I think it'd be appealing.

Comments

• my relationship with the NYPD

(oops - meant GCPD)

• A cool idea, but Rocksteady seems to have moved on. It could still be done though. No reason for all that programming to never be used again. And Telltale could frame a much better story than the last Arkham game that was shopped out (ugh... Origins).

So it's a good idea, but...

It would take years to make properly. The gameplay is getting a little stale, at this point, and it would be really hard to step out of Knight's shadow. I love the idea, but don't see it as very realistic.

That being said, I can see how you are thinking this. Telltale needs to refine their gameplay because Batman sort of needs that, especially the way they're making the action all... Arkhammy...

Sign in to comment in this discussion.