The Cost of Loyalty: An Interactive Story! (Ongoing)

14567810»

Comments

• Really appreciate the kind words. So nice to read. :)

It might be self explanatory, but I hope you know you can count on me I love this story and I can assure you that there's no way I'm ever g

• edited July 2018

I know I've been gone for a very long time and, honestly, I don't have any excuses either. I just haven't felt motivated to post or reply back. I've been a bit stressed out lately thinking about personal issues that I just needed time away, but I didn't want to be gone that long. That being said, I'm glad you're still keeping this story up to date. I'd like to find my way back into this reading this story again (and some others that I need to catch up on) because I was really enjoying it. Even if there aren't a whole lot of readers right now, I'd say to keep going strong. :smiley:

AgentZ46 posted: »

Hey, guys. I just want to apologize for the HUGE break I've taken. I don't have a real excuse. I just didn't feel motivated to write. So I'm

• Well there's apparently more than I thought there was! :D Thanks for the encouraging words, I fully intend to finish the story. Sorry that you've been stressed and I hope things get better for you. :)

StarKing789 posted: »

I know I've been gone for a very long time and, honestly, I don't have any excuses either. I just haven't felt motivated to post or reply ba

• Im a newbie but i just read all of this in 3 days! amazing.

• Oh yeah? That's awesome! Hope I manage to get the next part out soon so you won't have to wait too long. Unfortunately I've been taking my sweet ass time. Super happy to get a new reader though! Mind sharing your general thoughts on the story and characters? Perfectly fine if you'd rather not.

ItsAllMad posted: »

Im a newbie but i just read all of this in 3 days! amazing.

• Hey guys! I'm finally about to release the next part. Sorry for the wait. Just be warned that it's a fairly short part filled with dialogue. It's a Malcolm part. Just in case you've forgotten, last time we saw Malcolm he and Samuel had managed to convince Tom Wolfson to bring his sellswords and fight with them. There then came the choice of how Malcolm should spend his time. You readers voted that Malcom should make peace with Alise and Sibas. Sibas fought against Dustin and was nearly killed when Dusty went too far even after he yielded and Alise was not too happy about it. In this part you'll get to know Alise and Sibas a little better.

• edited August 2018

Malcolm

Malcolm had decided an attempt to make peace with Alise and Sibas would be worthwhile. Though he hesitated when he realized Alise was glaring at him. As intimidating as she is beautiful, if not more. Malcolm awkwardly walked towards them as she didn't look away from him. Before Malcolm could speak Alise spat "What do you want?" At this Sibas looked forward, only now noticing Malcolm's presence. "Alise..." he said, trying to calm her down but she didn't answer, apparently still awaiting Malcolm's response.

Malcolm bit his lip, trying to word this carefully "I... wanted to check on you." Alise scoffed "Well as you can see he's alive, you can go now." Sibas glared at the woman "Alise, come on! Let him speak at least." Alise rolled her eyes "Fine." There was then a pause as Alise stared at Malcolm "What?" Malcolm asked with a confused expression and Alise wasn't amused "Do what you came to do!" She growled and Malcolm realized she was literally giving him a chance to make his case "Oh, sorry!" He laughed awkwardly but Alise's expression still did not change.

Malcolm sighed "Look, I'm not denying that Dusty went too far. He absolutely did and I don't approve." Sibas looked down at the ground and Malcolm looked at him, slightly concerned "How are you doing?" Sibas shook his head "You've nothing to apologize for. Your friend was the better fighter, what's worse is that I acted like a coward. I thought I was past that."

As Sibas said that Alise's expression softened "You are Sibas. You're not the same boy from when we first met." Sibas rolled his eyes, clearly annoyed "Don't coddle me! You're so hard on everyone else but you excuse all of my faults. Why?" Malcolm felt he was intruding on something that had nothing to do with him before Alise bit her lip clearly upset by what Sibas said. Without saying a word she barged into Malcolm's shoulder as she marched past him.

Malcolm rubbed the back of his neck "This is a little awkward..." Sibas let loose a smirk "Don't worry about Alise. Give her time, she won't show it but she appreciates what you said." Malcolm felt relived by Sibas' words but also a little skeptical. "She clearly cares about you." Sibas scoffed at that "Hang her care. I don't need it and I don't want it. She treats me like a fucking child." Sibas had quite the short temper on him.

Malcolm sat down next to Sibas, growing curious he asked "What did you mean when you said you thought you were past being a coward? Clearly Alise thinks you are" Sibas sighed "Alise looks at me differently. Her praise means nothing. Words are wind. My actions speak for themselves. And my actions are that of a coward. When your friend started beating me, I panicked. I thought I was gonna die." Malcolm nodded "It's a natural reaction." He tried to reason but Sibas shook his head "Not for a warrior, not a soldier. It reminded me far too much of when I met Alise."

Malcolm couldn't help but grow more curious "What happened?" Sibas glared, clearly angry just at the thought of the memory. I was Ironborn." He revealed "Or to be more accurate I was from the Iron Islands. No Ironborn would've acted the way I did. I was pathetic, a coward. Alise said so herself." Malcolm waited for Sibas to continue and he did "I was terrible with a sword, but it was supposed to be easy. Raid a fishing village, happened all the time with no complications. This time there were sellswords defending it."

Malcolm raised an eyebrow "They could afford a band of sellswords to defend them?" Sibas shook his head "I don't think so. She won't admit it but I'm sure Alise just had a conscience. She wanted to save them." Malcolm nodded "That's honestly surprising, considering Wolfson seems to only care for himself." Sibas nodded "Your right, but we hadn't met Wolfson yet." Sibas smiled "You should'be seen her Malcolm. She was amazing and terrifying on that battlefield. My comrades were slaughtered. Which is fine I hated their guts. But when it was my turn... I dropped my sword, fell to my knees and cried like a baby. I begged her to spare me."

Malcolm nodded "And so she did" Sibas laughed "Well she spat on me first. Called me all sorts of things I won't repeat. But for some reason she forced me up to my feet and made me pick up my sword, demanding that I fight her." Malcolm smiled, understanding her intent "She wanted you to have a warrior's death." Sibas shrugged "Maybe but it didn't matter. I was disgraceful. Was so scared and she easily knocked me on my arse. But for some reason she decided to bring me with her. Make me a warrior." Sibas then glared as he stood up "Obviously she hasn't succeeded yet." Sibas looked down at the ground "I just... I want to prove her wrong. I want to prove that I'm not a coward. That I'm worth something. I know she doesn't mean what she says. Something changed in the way she looks at me. She just wants to protect me." Malcolm chuckled "You remind me of someone." Sibas showed no reaction, clearly deep in thought.

Malcolm stood up and attempted to speak but Sibas cut him off "Don't try to comfort me, Malcolm. I don't need it and I don't want it. I may know how to fight but I'm still a coward. Screamed when your friend had me down, I should've fought back, should've taken it." Sibas looked Malcolm in the eye "Just be honest, I was a coward. I should've fought back."

Malcolm wasn't sure what to tell him, he wouldn't hear it from Alise, but she knows him. Perhaps if Malcolm told him he did well that he'd believe it. Part of Malcolm wondered if he'd have fared much better. Dusty is a scary individual, even as an ally. Then again Malcolm remembered his words 'In Arms to the End' perhaps Sibas should've fought back. Thinking about his answer, Malcolm looked Sibas in the eyes and said...

["You're right. You should've fought back.] ["I would've done the same."]

• A welcome sight! Another part! I actually found this one really interesting seeing Sibas open up like that (I always find it a little hard trying to separate the Sibas in both of our respective stories in my head!) but I enjoyed all the dialogue!

My choice has to be [“You’re right. You should’ve fought back.”]
    I know it’s harsh, but I don’t think it would do Sibas (or Malcolm) any good to coddle and try to make him feel better. Perhaps in the future, Sibas might remember Malcolm telling him this and it could be the difference between life or death. I’m not sure if Sibas would be annoyed to hear it, but equally he may be annoyed if Malcolm were to say he’d do the same. I think it’s a much better choice to try and give him a bit of a verbal kick up the arse!

Malcolm Malcolm had decided an attempt to make peace with Alise and Sibas would be worthwhile. Though he hesitated when he realized Alise

• While writing I actually completely forgot about the Sibas in your story. XD Glad you enjoyed it and that the part got a reply so soon after posting! :)

And yeah I see where you're coming from. It could be important further down the line. Gotta wait and see though.

A welcome sight! Another part! I actually found this one really interesting seeing Sibas open up like that (I always find it a little hard t

• Ah, this was a very nice part. Did I ever mention Malcolm is my favourite PoV? I think I did, because he has been pretty much from the very beginning. Admittedly, Lucas wasn't a thing back then and I had to warm up to Gregor first, so there really wasn't much competition, but yeah, Malcolm has been consistently enjoyable and though short, this part was no difference. I greatly enjoyed the talk with him and Sibas. Admittedly, the presence of Sibas himself kinda caught me off guard after he recently had this very prominent role in Path of Honour, but after the very initial moment of confusion, I quickly warmed up to him again. He and Alise have a pretty interesting dynamic and I gotta say, I really enjoy them in this conversation with Malcolm.

["You're right. You should've fought back.]

So, the thing is, I am not entirely certain if fighting back would have changed a thing. Sometimes, submission when necessary is a good thing and the fact that House Branfield will massively suffer due to their inability to do just that proves my point. Occasionally, this saves lives. However, it is the only reason I have for the other option. With everything else, I agree with what BitterSteel said and this option is honestly just as likely to save his life. At times, knowing when to pick a fight is important and that goes both ways.

Malcolm Malcolm had decided an attempt to make peace with Alise and Sibas would be worthwhile. Though he hesitated when he realized Alise

• Glad that you're enjoying Malcolm's parts so much! Hopefully people from the Path of Honor don't get too confused and realize they're different characters. :p

Ah, this was a very nice part. Did I ever mention Malcolm is my favourite PoV? I think I did, because he has been pretty much from the very

• @DillonDex @StarKing789 @Euron @LiquidChicagoTed @Lord_EAA @Mathea @joriandrake @TheFurryOne @LordSIF @Menofthe214 @CM3434 @MrEggplant @Stigz_52 @MTCkitten @IR0NR4TH @Javier Raviolli @FromTheGallows @GMSforresthood @BitterSteel826218 @Starfyre
    So important update. I know some of you are already aware of the situation and some of you may not even be reading my story anymore but just in case I want to make sure everyone sees this update. As you may have already heard Telltale isn't looking too good and seems to be shutting down. I'm heartbroken about that. I'll always remember my time here and the amazing Telltale games. As Melissa Hutchinson said Telltale will always be the best company to tell story games, closing down won't change that.

But now it's time to address what's happening to the story. It's unclear where I'm going to take it but I assure you that I'm determined to continue it. I know the amount of readers I have a small but the story I'm trying to tell is important to me and I can't imagine leaving it unfinished. To keep up with me and where this story will be going I suggest joining this Discord: https://discord.gg/Hv28xAP
    I and several other writers from this community have gathered there and are discussing where we plan to continue our stories. I'm saving all my stuff and will repost it wherever I decide to continue. Hopefully I'll see you guys there. Remember, In Arms to the End. Just like the Branfields, I won't abandon this story. :)

• Hey, guys! Quick little but important update. I've moved over to a new home called the Creator's Haven.
    http://creators-haven.boards.net/board/8/cost-loyalty

A lot of the writers from these forums are there now and I'll be posting there. I will still post here while the forums are alive, don't worry. :)
    Hopefully I see you there. You're also free to come by the Creator's Haven, Discord, can chat with me as well as other writers and readers. https://discord.gg/Hv28xAP

Sign in to comment in this discussion.