No Game of Thrones News from Telltale at Pax! Not even a mention!

Tragically there has been no news of telltale's game of thrones at the telltale panel at pax! I am personally gutted to hear this as it was easily my favourite telltale series. I know some panic merchants are already forecasting that telltale has abandoned the series (a view I personally do not share) but if so I will have to reconsider purchasing other telltale series if they are just going to discard a series halfway through like that. Does anyone else get the feeling that telltale has become disturbingly silent on Game of Thrones?

Comments

• Ten months without news is a long time...

Still, I don't think they would discard a series that they have announced that they intend to make a Season 2. I think that Telltale needs to iron out a lot of stuff such as the concept art and discussing how the story should go now that they possibly have to deal with an determinant playable character. Perhaps they really do intend to create two distinct paths with Rodrik and Asher.

But I hope that Telltale will start giving news about GoT by the end of 2016, once Minecraft is finished and both Batman and The Walking Dead is well under way. Sometimes they just have to prioritize on other stuff and right now they seem to focus on Walking Dead and Batman, once that is finish, they can start giving us hints, teases and solid news about our beloved Game of Thrones.

• If season 2 comes 2018 that means that GoT fans would have to wait almost 3 years. It isn't fair fair because TWD got their second season right after the first one and two years later they get their third season. Some people might not even have their GoT save file at that time or maybe they switched to a new gaming system.

• To be far, they did mention Game of Thrones, albeit talking about when you are in the throne room in Episode 1 and being silent.

If they didn't mention it's probably very far off. Season 3 was announced in July of 2014, and didn't really get major news until April 2016 barring "can't talk about Season 3 yet". The Wolf Among Us was only formally announced in June of 2011, although it had been said that a Fables game was being worked on in February of the same year. Of course it was delayed to make more Walking Dead-style, but you know. Marvel, Super Show, early 2015 reveals, nothing really since.

Although it seems kind of strange for the game to seemingly have a set up sequel but no news. I'd be real surprised if it came out the same time as the Marvel game, I'm actually thinking it'll be Fall of 2017, maybe a reveal at E3 or something. Probably best to let Season 3 and Batman finish before you really start hoping for news.

• edited September 2016

Maybe they are planning to release it along with the final season of Game of Thrones TV series (2018). This way they can make a timeskip and align the events with it if they want.

• edited September 2016

It's actually hilarious how they went out of their way to avoid talking about it. When referring to games with multiple POVs, they mentioned Tales From the Borderlands but not the one with 5 playable characters. That's just ridiculous - how often the PR avoids mentioning the G-O-T words in any given situation makes me think they're literally hoping they can make people forget it exists and can drop the project not with a bang, but with a whimper...

• edited September 2016

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2016/35/1472934274-479.gif

I already wait for the books, don't go full GRRM with me, Telltale.

• That would be poor to skip that much of events.

CTCCoco posted: »

Maybe they are planning to release it along with the final season of Game of Thrones TV series (2018). This way they can make a timeskip and align the events with it if they want.

• Well... at least they'll have a nicer engine by the point Season 2 is released. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone looks like on the upgraded engine.

That's good... right?

• Telltale always goes radio silent on projects that are not coming shortly ahead in the future. They are currently doing it with Super Show and Marvel (lots of people keep asking if those games are cancelled), it happened with Season 3/New Frontier up from when it was announced in 2014, all the way until earlier this year, and it happened when a Fables game (later revealed as Wolf Among Us) was announced alongside Season 1 of Walking Dead, before being revamped to incorporate choice making. This is nothing new at all for Telltale.

It's not limited to Game of Thrones Season 2. Their games are story based and they do not want to spoil a lot, so until they finalize the plot elements, the best they can say is "This game is a thing that exists. It is in pre-production and we are working on the early bits of it."

JakeSt123 posted: »

It's actually hilarious how they went out of their way to avoid talking about it. When referring to games with multiple POVs, they mentioned

• edited September 2016

It doesn't have to be immediately. They may want to develop part of the story years later, when the final season is happening. But they can't if it hasn't been released on TV before.

Euron posted: »

That would be poor to skip that much of events.

• Half of you don't even know how waiting for telltale sequels work, ya'll are being ridiculously paranoid. Telltale wouldn't just announce a sequel and deny it existed, that's actually just stupid, lol.

• The wise one has spoken!

Green613 posted: »

Half of you don't even know how waiting for telltale sequels work, ya'll are being ridiculously paranoid. Telltale wouldn't just announce a sequel and deny it existed, that's actually just stupid, lol.

• edited September 2016

it happened with Season 3/New Frontier up from when it was announced in 2014

I'm fairly certain that between 2014 and early this year they mentioned the words "Walking Dead Season Three" several times. I waited for Season Two of TWD and now Season Three, and they've never been this ridiculous about keeping silent on something. Their projects always seemed to get a mention every so often but it's been nine or ten months and they haven't even said the words 'Game of Thrones: Season Two' since the initial announcement.

As for their 'radio silence', it's just... objectively a bad business model. I've actually seen people demoralised by it and start to lose interest, especially after PAX where it passed with a mention of TFTBL, MCSM, Batman... audience members even made reference to older games like TWAU and BTTF that have 'ended', but there was nothing on Game of Thrones aside from an offhand mention of Season 2. Surely being demoralised by that loses TTG money?

A "we're working on it" would suffice and alleviate a lot of peoples' doubt, but they can't even give that. It feels an awful lot like their marketing is just "yeah we'll keep quiet and tell you nothing until it's time for our money" when they should really be making an effort to interact with fans of all of their games, not just one or two. I think it's the sort of... "temporary favouritism" and knowing that you'll hear nothing about the game you're waiting for while they spend months talking about something else that splits the TTG fandom into these sort of 'factions' that insult each others' games.

(That said, GOT didn't really get much love in terms of marketing either. Soon as Michonne was announced they dropped that down to the bare minimum.)

Telltale always goes radio silent on projects that are not coming shortly ahead in the future. They are currently doing it with Super Show a

• Someone feels entitled.

it happened with Season 3/New Frontier up from when it was announced in 2014 I'm fairly certain that between 2014 and early this yea

• As for their 'radio silence', it's just... objectively a bad business model.

It's actually not as bad for them as most might assume. Most Telltale fans are casual, unlike you, or I or anyone on this forum for that matter. Casual fans tend to play, and forget about it as soon as they hit the exit button. Once the next one comes out, they play that too. They don't care about getting news every once in a while because it's like a TV show, no details about it matter unless it's a date, and Telltale doesn't have one of those right now.

Telltale loses pretty much nothing with the business model they're going with right now, because to be blunt, pleasing the 1% (us fans that actually look out for news) really doesn't matter to be honest, lol. If they said it's coming, it's coming. Just be patient.

it happened with Season 3/New Frontier up from when it was announced in 2014 I'm fairly certain that between 2014 and early this yea

• it will definitely be the 2017 so don't panic and be patient

Menofthe214 posted: »

If season 2 comes 2018 that means that GoT fans would have to wait almost 3 years. It isn't fair fair because TWD got their second season ri

• Casual fans tend to play, and forget about it as soon as they hit the exit button. Once the next one comes out, they play that too.

That's a bit dumb to play a game and forget it just after; it's like quality and the story is unimportant. That's kinda insulting their intelligence.

Telltale loses pretty much nothing with the business model they're going with right now, because to be blunt, pleasing the 1% (us fans that actually look out for news) really doesn't matter to be honest, lol.

98% of people use wrongs percentages to prove a point.

As for their 'radio silence', it's just... objectively a bad business model. It's actually not as bad for them as most might assume.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited September 2016

I'm fairly certain that between 2014 and early this year they mentioned the words "Walking Dead Season Three" several times.

Correct, and most of it was variations of "news coming soon - check back later!". It was only mentioned a handful of times in two years, and there was nothing notable said. Even though some fans want minor updates such as "We're working on X game," Telltale does not go off of that mindset, and they wait until they have more information to give - since Telltale's games are story based, this means that they wait until they have at least some of the various story elements finalized.

Since Telltale has two active series at a time (and two series in an earlier state of production), this leaves the rest of their games in pre-production and they don't have much to say. Some fans want minor check ins, but as I said shortly ago, Telltale waits until they have more substantial progress to show. It doesn't meant they magically start to care about a game only when its available for pre-order as you insinuated so that they can take people's money, it just means that they don't have anything notable that is finalized in terms of discussing the story/gameplay or showing off any screens/concept art/etc.

Like, with Batman, they had that SXSW Panel in March even though the game did not come out until August. The game was not available for pre-order, but they had enough substantial information about the game that they had finalized to where they were ready to show it off.

• edited September 2016

Does asking for a single comment on a game and criticising their marketing tactic really count as 'entitled'? I know an awful lot of people who feel this way.

Someone feels entitled.

• [Copy/pasted from New Frontier waiting thread]

November 20th 2015

November 10th 2015

September 27th 2015

June 17th, 2015:

• During an E3 Discussion with Greg Miller, Job Stauffer implied that Season 3 will be "a long ways off" and "considerably larger" than previous games. They currently are trying to figure out who the protagonist is, and how the story will tie into Season 2 and the Michonne Mini series. He implies to expect news about Michonne in the next 2-3 weeks, and at PAX. Meanwhile, fans can perhaps expect Season 3 news "of substance" after the end of the Michonne mini-series.

• If you want to watch the full E3 interview with Job click here.

May 12th, 2015:

March 31st, 2015:

December 8th, 2014:

I'm fairly certain that between 2014 and early this year they mentioned the words "Walking Dead Season Three" several times. Correct

• It'll be worth the wait.

enter image description here

Euron posted: »

I already wait for the books, don't go full GRRM with me, Telltale.

• That and a dream of dick, I absolutely wait for them.

Joe_Momma posted: »

It'll be worth the wait.

• Does asking for a single comment on a game and criticising their marketing tactic really count as 'entitled'?

Kinda.

Does asking for a single comment on a game and criticising their marketing tactic really count as 'entitled'? I know an awful lot of people who feel this way.

• Does Danaerys invade Westeros?

Joe_Momma posted: »

It'll be worth the wait.

• Finally someone who knows how ttg works...

Half of you don't even know how waiting for telltale sequels work, ya'll are being ridiculously paranoid. Telltale wouldn't just announce a sequel and deny it existed, that's actually just stupid, lol.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.