Unpopular opinion about our Batman

Troy Baker does not make a good Batman. Don't get me wrong, Troy is a very talented and versatile actor but I feel like his voice is just wrong for the role. His rendition of Bruce Wayne just sounds like a more somber Rhys. The redeeming quality of his performance is when his voice changer is activated, propping up his otherwise unintimidating voice. Also, Telltale need to get more actors in, there are other VO's than Laura or Troy, talented as they may be.

Comments

• Omid's catOmid's cat Banned
    edited September 2016

Here's mine. No matter how good fighter he is, how many thugs he'll send to hospital - Bruce Wayne looks like a WIMP, imo. Just look at his face. Dent seems tougher than our billionaire. Maybe some facial hair would change the impression. Think about "Batman Origins". Not my favourite Batman game but it's hero looks badass.

• It's probably more just established character design. If Bruce Wayne was some super jacked tough dude as well as being the richest man in Gotham, someone would put two and two together.

Omid's cat posted: »

Here's mine. No matter how good fighter he is, how many thugs he'll send to hospital - Bruce Wayne looks like a WIMP, imo. Just look at his

• It wasn't an issue for Rocksteady or Montreal. Telltale still can do something with it (facial hair).

It's probably more just established character design. If Bruce Wayne was some super jacked tough dude as well as being the richest man in Gotham, someone would put two and two together.

• edited September 2016

He's not supposed to look like a badass, though. He's supposed to look like a pampered billionaire playboy, like a dandy, like someone the public would never suspect of being a crime-fighting vigilante. The Bruce Wayne persona is just as much of a mask as the Batman persona.

It wasn't an issue for Rocksteady or Montreal. Telltale still can do something with it (facial hair).

• It's not necessary. Bruce Wayne doesn't have to look like wimp. Compare; two young Waynes.

enter image description here

Agelastos posted: »

He's not supposed to look like a badass, though. He's supposed to look like a pampered billionaire playboy, like a dandy, like someone the p

• edited September 2016

Again, I think he should look like a dandy. Just like Don Diego de la Vega.
    Of course he doesn't have to.

Personally, I love how much TTG's Bruce looks like Sterling Archer.
    http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/deadliestfiction/images/6/67/Archer1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130501010823

It's not necessary. Bruce Wayne doesn't have to look like wimp. Compare; two young Waynes.

• Pssh. Troy Baker did great. As Bruce and as Batman. Though that's just my opinion.

• Don't let me tell you what to like, I just personally think Troy's voice is a little too present in the market and it's making it more difficult for him to convince me that he's Bruce Wayne rather than just Troy Baker voicing Bruce Wayne. I like to immerse myself

AgentZ46 posted: »

Pssh. Troy Baker did great. As Bruce and as Batman. Though that's just my opinion.

• edited September 2016

As Bruce Wayne, he did fine. As Batman, it was a little harder to take him seriously because of how hard he tried to sound like Christian Bale's Batman. (Dude, people make fun of that voice for a reason.)

• I like Troy's Batman, somehow manages to not sound totally like Troy Baker (who has a lovely voice and I'm glad we had him as Kanji in Persona).

That said, I don't like Telltale's Batman. Do I think it could work? Definitely. I've liked every single game Telltale has put out on consoles since TWD S1 (with the exception of S2), and having gone back to see their work on Sam and Max, it looks like they've mostly improved their best despite, erm, "hiccups." But even if they do something new with ol' Batsy, I feel like it's already fallen too flat to stand up as a Telltale landmark. Maybe that'll change, but unless they whip out a newly remarkable character or they upgrade the engine to PS4/Xbox One's realistic graphics (WITHOUT there being a load of glitches from the get-go) or something, that's not looking likely.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.