Yet another reason why I love Telltale

http://www.fandomfollowing.com/game-of-thrones-and-acedia/

Rather than a gloomy place with bright, hopeful glimpses of human decency, we are given a metaphorically (and literally) dark world where any kind of hope is like Sansa’s tiny ass candle in Winterfell: ineffectual and meaningless.

The author of this article should check out Telltale's GoT sometime. Unlike the show or books, House Forrester's corner of the GoT universe actually is "a gloomy place with bright, hopeful glimpses of human decency."

Maybe it's the fact we have a direct influence over the story in the game as opposed to the show/books, I'm not sure. But just because these worlds are horrible and brutal, it doesn't mean our PCs have to be. Telltale allows us to make House Forrester our own, even if the rest of Westeros remains mostly unchanged. The same applies to Robert Kirkman's "Walking Dead," a comic book/show I flat-out hate, although that didn't stop me from loving Lee and Clementine. Rodrick/Asher can be cynical brutes, or naïve fools...or something in between. We can be tender one minute, and savage the next. It's up to us.

So, for what it's worth...thank you, Telltale.

Comments

• What an idiotic article. The author is a book purist AND an SJW... What a combo!

What an idiotic article. The author is a book purist AND an SJW... What a combo!

• edited October 2016

"SJW" is basically the new "bleeding heart liberal." I'm sure she'd consider the term a compliment.

Thank God for SJWs. Without them, Mankind is fucked.

What an idiotic article. The author is a book purist AND an SJW... What a combo!

• My, just like GRRM himself? How dreadful.

• Except SJWs are often very unreasonable, anti-free speech, and even outright racist. Now, I'm not sure if the author really is that kind of SJW, there were just some hints towards that in the article. But enough about that, what comes to your OP, I'm pretty sure the author would bash the game just as much for "muh shockvalue".

"SJW" is basically the new "bleeding heart liberal." I'm sure she'd consider the term a compliment. Thank God for SJWs. Without them, Mankind is fucked.

• Eh, not that I really care about GRRMs political views, but I doubt he is the kind of SJW I'm talking about. Liberal? Sure.

My, just like GRRM himself? How dreadful.

• Just curious, are you a rightly pissed leftist or are you closer to those people that go on a tantrum when others tell them their offensive jokes aren't really funny?

Except SJWs are often very unreasonable, anti-free speech, and even outright racist. Now, I'm not sure if the author really is that kind of

• I am leaning more on the left, even if I don't like to label myself too much. So, yeah, the reason I dislike SJWs is because thanks to them "leftist" for so many equals to morons who try to restrict free speech, are complete hypocrites and spread blatant racism (BLM). Anyway, I mostly try to stay away from political conversation in internet because usually it leads to nothing, which is why I'm regretting a bit that I even mentioned the SJW thing.

Just curious, are you a rightly pissed leftist or are you closer to those people that go on a tantrum when others tell them their offensive jokes aren't really funny?

• So you judge her article idiotic because of what she is but not because of her arguments? Seems legit.
    She can have a personality you don't like and still make good points (which she does)

Also you should stop to call those who simply read the books books purist. There's a reason why so many people who read them don't like GOT and it's not because of a hidden cult praising the great old one and his books.

• Come on, she tries to explain with "science" that the most popular TV show in the world is boring and if you like it you are "dudebro who is in it for the tits and dragons". Elitist much?

Euron posted: »

So you judge her article idiotic because of what she is but not because of her arguments? Seems legit. She can have a personality you don'

• edited November 2016

Sorry I really dunno wot I wrote, I was very drunk. Probably wanted to tell WildlingKing that BLM is not fucking racist and there is no such thing as "free" speech but gave up halfway trough. Alcoholic's problems, lol.

So you judge her article idiotic because of what she is but not because of her arguments? Seems legit. She can have a personality you don'

• wat

Sorry I really dunno wot I wrote, I was very drunk. Probably wanted to tell WildlingKing that BLM is not fucking racist and there is no such thing as "free" speech but gave up halfway trough. Alcoholic's problems, lol.

• Srsly, sorry.

wat

• If anything the got game was more depressing and constantly hopeless than the show is, at least the show gives the "good guys" actual advvantages and victories and the deaths tend to matter and have consequences. Game of thrones is honestly seems to be similar to any other mythical story out there, I mean current season pretty much all the major villans are dead. I'm not predicting a happy ending to the show however it being totally depressing with everyone dead isnt likely either. However I like that this could be a possiblity when watching. There are much more depressing shows than game of thrones.

• I agree with this very much. Complaining about the show being too depressing after season 5 is like pausing LotR on the moment when it seems the most hopeless for the heroes and starting to complain how too much depressing makes the story uninteresting.

If anything the got game was more depressing and constantly hopeless than the show is, at least the show gives the "good guys" actual advvan

• Well, no problem. But seeing the way you wrote, you must have been very very drunk, aha

Srsly, sorry.

• ...and comparing GoT to LotR is downright daft. Tolkien believed in happy endings. Martin doesn't.

I agree with this very much. Complaining about the show being too depressing after season 5 is like pausing LotR on the moment when it seems

• I agree that LotR and GoT are very different, but Tolkien is still a big inspiration for Martin. And we don't know what kind of ending Martin will deliver us on aSoIaF (or more likely won't deliver :( ), so it's pretty useless to go too deep into that. All we got for now is that he has planned a "bittersweet ending". One could call LotR's ending bittersweet as well, even if it's mostly happy.

...and comparing GoT to LotR is downright daft. Tolkien believed in happy endings. Martin doesn't.

• ...and comparing GoT to LotR is downright daft. Tolkien believed in happy endings. Martin doesn't.

Yeah I dont think hes gonna give us a totally happy ending but still we dont know how the series ends yet. They still have several books left

...and comparing GoT to LotR is downright daft. Tolkien believed in happy endings. Martin doesn't.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.