Movies of 2017

Post your thoughts/reviews about movies that came out in 2017:

Comments

• edited January 2017

Apparently this was a 2016 film, but it just came out where I live. It's the #1 Japanese film in China and it's making a lot of news even in the US. It's overrated, only in that people have been praising the shit out of it. Nonetheless, an enjoyable film with some really beautiful sequences and a cute love story.

enter image description here

• edited January 2017

I've seen it in Japanese. I loved it. In my top3 2016 films.

Sarangholic posted: »

Apparently this was a 2016 film, but it just came out where I live. It's the #1 Japanese film in China and it's making a lot of news even in

• edited January 2017

2017 The year of:-

LOGAN - Old man logan
    STAR WARS EPISODE 8
    WONDER WOMAN
    WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES
    SPIDERMAN
    GHOST IN THE SHELL - I hope this will be good, interesting to see how it differs from the original masterpiece from 1995

• edited January 2017

The only movie I'm excited for this year is Logan.

EDIT: I forgot, I'm also excited for Spider-Man: Homecoming.

• Not looking forward to Spiderman Homecoming?

The only movie I'm excited for this year is Logan. EDIT: I forgot, I'm also excited for Spider-Man: Homecoming.

• Oh, that too! I forgot; thanks man.

Not looking forward to Spiderman Homecoming?

• Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, T2: Trainspotting, Logan, John Wick: Chapter 2, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, the MCU films, Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, Alien Covenant, The Mummy, Lego Batman, and Star Wars: Episode VIII

• What about Star Wars Episode 8?

The only movie I'm excited for this year is Logan. EDIT: I forgot, I'm also excited for Spider-Man: Homecoming.

• Spider-Man Homecoming and Star Wars Episode 8.

• I dunno yet

AronDracula posted: »

What about Star Wars Episode 8?

• Have you watched Rogue One?

I dunno yet

• No. :/

AronDracula posted: »

Have you watched Rogue One?

• Yeah buddy, the only film I am looking forward too

enter image description here

• edited January 2017

Logan is the only 2017 film I'm super hyped for currently. Everything else just looks kinda meh to me.

• MCU movies are probably just gonna be meh this year, Wasn't interested in the first John Wick, won't be able to see most indie movies that come out until 2018 anyway and I'm being cautious when thinking about Episode 8.

Logan and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter are the only movies I'm excited for this year because I know that above all they'll at least be super fun.

• Is the twist that we may actually get a good Shyamalan movie for once?

Sorry, but after his butchering and desecration of Avatar: The Last Airbender, I just can't watch any of his movies.

• When you hit rock bottom, the only place to go is up. Despite his trainwrecks, he has had some decent films like The Visit and The Sixth Sense. Plus, Split has apparently been getting insanely good reviews, so I have some confidence in it.

Is the twist that we may actually get a good Shyamalan movie for once? Sorry, but after his butchering and desecration of Avatar: The Last Airbender, I just can't watch any of his movies.

• People said he hit rock bottom with The Village, then he made Lady in the Water. People thought that was rock bottom, then he made The Happening. People thought that was rock bottom, then he made Devil. People thought THAT was rock bottom, then he made The Last Airbender.

My point being is that Shyamalan has continued to beat the odds and sink lower and lower. And it seems like a big reason why The Visit has gotten some decent reviews was because it wasn't as bad as his other movies.

ralo229 posted: »

When you hit rock bottom, the only place to go is up. Despite his trainwrecks, he has had some decent films like The Visit and The Sixth Sense. Plus, Split has apparently been getting insanely good reviews, so I have some confidence in it.

• edited January 2017

it seems like a big reason why The Visit has gotten some decent reviews was because it wasn't as bad as his other movies.

I have to disagree with you there. The Visit got decent reviews because most people thought it was a decent flick with improved acting and writing that was smarter and that was a lot less silly than something like The Happening or Lady in the Water.

People thought that was rock bottom, then he made Devil.

Shamylan only came up with the story for that one so I don't know if that even counts, but for the sake of this argument, you'd actually be surprised how many fans Devil has. I personally don't think it's a good movie, but if you look at audience scores on IMDB or Metacritic, many people actually really enjoyed it or at least thought it was a huge improvement over his other works. Hell, even critical reception wasn't THAT bad. It was mostly just mixed with a Rotten Tomatoes score of 52% and a Metacritic score of 44. It wasn't like some of the films that came before it where both critical and audience reception were overwhelmingly negative or even considered being among the worst films ever created.

People said he hit rock bottom with The Village, then he made Lady in the Water. People thought that was rock bottom, then he made The Happe

• mostlypoptartsmostlypoptarts ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

I watched A Monster Calls this past weekend. A little slow-paced, but overall it has some really thoughtful things to say about grieving and catharsis.

I really enjoyed it, but it's not for everyone.

• Saw: Legacy, even though I'm skeptical.

• Pirates of the Carribean 5, 'cause I love all 3 previous movies.

• VIKING. This goddamn movie, which looks absolutely gorgeous. It seems that is already out in Russia, but still silent in cinemas around the world.

• Pirates of the Carribean 5, 'cause I love all 3 previous movies.

You might want to check your math lol (jp).

fallandir posted: »

* Saw: Legacy, even though I'm skeptical. * Pirates of the Carribean 5, 'cause I love all 3 previous movies. * VIKING. This goddamn mo

• My math is correct. It's a joke.

Sarangholic posted: »

Pirates of the Carribean 5, 'cause I love all 3 previous movies. You might want to check your math lol (jp).

• I really wanna see that. It sounds like it would be right up my alley.

I watched A Monster Calls this past weekend. A little slow-paced, but overall it has some really thoughtful things to say about grieving and catharsis. I really enjoyed it, but it's not for everyone.

• i'm interested in Rings. comes out Feb 3 2017

• True, he did not technically make Devil, but it has all of the Shyamalan tendencies present. The film has terrible acting, a weak script, a nonsensical twist, and awful dialogue. Even the style of direction reeks of Shyamalan.

ralo229 posted: »

it seems like a big reason why The Visit has gotten some decent reviews was because it wasn't as bad as his other movies. I have to

• I too don't think it was a very good movie. We agree on that, but my point is, I think your claim that people thought he hit rock bottom with that movie is irrellevant given how critical and audience reception was a lot better than something like The Happening or The Last Airbender given how many people actually consider those to be among the worst films of all time.

True, he did not technically make Devil, but it has all of the Shyamalan tendencies present. The film has terrible acting, a weak script, a nonsensical twist, and awful dialogue. Even the style of direction reeks of Shyamalan.

• edited February 2017

Wait, did this come out this late in my country? It just came out, and I saw it, and I thought it was bleh. It is super talked up, but It felt like a lot alien movies that they had back 15/20 years all over again....

• edited February 2017

Whoa, really surprised to see a Russian movie here. I didn't really like Viking, but nonetheless I'm still flattered.

* Saw: Legacy, even though I'm skeptical. * Pirates of the Carribean 5, 'cause I love all 3 previous movies. * VIKING. This goddamn mo

• edited February 2017

So I guess I go full spoiler.. or 3/4?

I watched

Assassin's Creed - was well made, good acting, nice scenary, but it was more an introduction to the whole story. I mean, the game series already is neverending cause they just take chars from different centuries, but they actually can tell more about the story in the movie. So, I'd be down for more parts, if they'd choose to.
    I really did enjoy watching the movie, even if it wasn't something TOO crazy.

Arrival - Well, another Alien meet Humen movie ... was fun and exciting to watch, even tho in the end not THAT much happened. But I definitely enjoyed watching it and they could make a Part 2 here as well. The story has it's weird parts where I am not sure it adds up 100%, but I'll take it.. not too bad movie, but the story's not finished.

Star Wars: Rogue One - It's Star Wars, so I gotta love it.. Just a part of the whole Star Wars story, so not a big movie here. Still gotta watch, if you're a fan. Introduced some good chars. Can't get enough of SW movies :0

Passengers - Oh boy.. Gotta say, I fell in love with it a bit. It did have flaws, also in logic, at least that's my opinion and I'm sure, I'm not alone with it. But it got pretty emotional. The acting and setting hmm felt a bit like it's a family movie (the actors are very charismatic and the ship's interiour looks like Apple iPhone or something) and it is some kind of "destroyed perfect world" in the end. But yea, to me the story doesn't really add up, but was a good, emotional movie after all.

So all those movies were good and worth watching, but had SOME flaws (there is always something, right..?). But I can say, I wouldn't wanna forgo watching any of those.

• It looks extremely well-made, finally a decent history themed movie. I don't know much about Russian movies, I only watched something about Moscow metro I think, which got flooded if I remember correctly. But I love Russian writers, I find their books very pleasant to read.

Whoa, really surprised to see a Russian movie here. I didn't really like Viking, but nonetheless I'm still flattered.

• I really am hyped for this. a + for that teaser song.

• Transformers The last knight

Cara 3

Guardians of the galaxy volume 2

War For the planet of apes

Annabelle 2

Insidious chapter 4

• mostlypoptartsmostlypoptarts ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

I fully believe Dane DeHaan is one of the best actors around!!

Mercyva posted: »

I really am hyped for this. a + for that teaser song.

• Well, i am DEFINTELY going to watch

War for the Planet of the apes
    Justice League
    Wonder Woman
    Star Wars Episode 8 The Last Jedi
    Kong: Skull Island

• agree I love him <3 !!! ..I don't know about Cara Delevingne though, when you are a personality outside acting it can shadow your roles, idk. but I respect the director and we'll see the movie soon& how that goes :D

I fully believe Dane DeHaan is one of the best actors around!!

• I only watched something about Moscow metro I think, which got flooded if I remember correctly.

Oh, I remember that movie. It was pretty nice.
    If you're interested in Russian cinematography, I can recommend you some extremely good Russian and Soviet movies to watch. Even though I'm not quite fond of what our directors make now, we have some great history in cinematography.

But I love Russian writers, I find their books very pleasant to read.

Happy to hear that, becasue I love our literature as well :) Mainly poetry, but prose is cool too. My personal favourites have to be Anton Chekhov and Mikhail Bulgakov.

It looks extremely well-made, finally a decent history themed movie. I don't know much about Russian movies, I only watched something about

Sign in to comment in this discussion.