Can we all agree Asher/Rodrik are the two characters who must survive S2?

I've been posting about Asher/Rodrik on and off in this forum for a long time, and I haven't yet seen anyone state outright why they shouldn't last beyond the first episode of season two. Then again, maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Different fans have different preferences for different characters, I understand that. But if some kind of secret poll was put together by Telltale gauging public opinion to determine which Forrester should cheat "Martin's Law" in S2, can most of us agree it must be Asher/Rodrik? Or do other non-determinants like Gared, Beskha, Talia, and Ryon take greater precedence?

Comments

• I think that they should be major and survive most of the season at least.

• I agree that Rodrik/Asher should survive Season 2 even if it's just a one-way path with model swapping and slightly different dialogue and choices.

• I can't really see other characters who carries as much plot importance as Rodrik/Asher. I mean, they are the ones who are carrying the story. If they die, I can't really see anyone who can fill the void left behind by them. I know George R R Martin loves killing characters, but even he as well as other capable writers know how important these key characters are. If they are killed off, they are killing the story.

• I want them to survive the season, along with Gared.

I just think it'd be strange for Asher/Rodrik to die, at least early on. What would be the point of trying to fight for House Forrester through other characters if the potential Lords of it are already killed off?

• One possibility is that House Forrester proper will become a sideplot and we will instead focus on Gared's branch of the narrative for a while.

A lot will depend on the release date. As of now we are only a very few months away from the TV series penultimate season, which is expected to bring a lot of spoilers and new plots. If Season 2 of Telltale's game follows the lead of Seasons 2 and 3 of its own Walking Dead game, there may easily be a time skip of several years.

Coming at it from another perspective, this is Game of Thrones. Even in the books the movers and shakers and the point of view characters are neither quite the same people nor particularly stable sets of people. It would be entirely in keeping with the source material if the Forresters were demoted into cameos, at least for a while. Besides, we sort of know that they won't be too much of a decisive factor in the overall story no matter what.

Of the point of view characters of Season 1, Gared is easily the one in the best place to resume the narrative in Season 2, all the more so if there is a time skip.

Then there is the King's Landing plot. We had one in Season 1 and I expect that we will have one still in Season 2, and that it will follow logically from the previous one to some extent. But due to events of both the game and the TV series, the situation must have changed considerably and the point of view characters there will likely be others even if directly connected to Season 1. Perhaps someone connected to the group that the coal boy mentioned and that we never met? For all we know they may be featured in the TV episodes coming shortly.

• I also think the next game will probably be about another family and the Forresters as a side story. It should be another northern house and the rumors of the rebellion against the Boltons.

• edited May 2017

Asher and Rodrik will die within the first 10 minutes as they are determinant characters. We will most likely play as Talia to fill the spot.

• Kate?

Asher and Rodrik will die within the first 10 minutes as they are determinant characters. We will most likely play as Talia to fill the spot.

• edited May 2017

It would be a little weird and nonsensical of Telltale to suddenly abandon/downgrade the Forrester story after we've become so emotionally invested in their plight. Imagine if Javi was the protagonist of TWD season two instead of Clementine.

I also think the next game will probably be about another family and the Forresters as a side story. It should be another northern house and the rumors of the rebellion against the Boltons.

• Eh, I'd say a determinant playable character surviving the whole Season of all things would be a bit much to ask, but they should at least survive a decent portion of a few episodes with dying a death on the same tier as the Kenny/Jane deaths on New Frontier Episode 1.

• Is season 2 confirmed ? Not seeing anything promising at all, they promised new information "soon" like a year ago..

• Maybe I'm just a little weary of GRRM's "ALL HEROES MUST DIE!!" approach to storytelling, especially since Sansa and Arya have been doing a pretty damn good job of beating the odds stacked against them, but I'm not eager to see Asher/Rodrik condemned to the same fate as Eddard and Robb simply because it's considered fashionable to kill off the good guys at the moment.

I honestly don't see why having Asher/Rodrik continue to be play a major role in S2 would be such an impossible nightmare for Telltale. One character can easily fill in the other's shoes. After the overwhelmingly negative reaction Telltale received from Kenny/Jane's treatment in NF ep. 1, perhaps they've realized they can't cheat the fans like that anymore.

If Telltale thinks they absolutely HAVE to kill off Asher/Rodrik by the final episode in S2, I can't say I'd be happy, but at least the fans would feel a lot more rewarded for their decision to keep whichever brother alive.

Eh, I'd say a determinant playable character surviving the whole Season of all things would be a bit much to ask, but they should at least s

• I still dont get why you think game of thrones is "all heroes must die" .

Anyway killing rodrik/asher would be very lazy and pointless. Killing them or barely seeing them will mean i am done with this series. Game of thrones rarely kills main characters fir no reason. Usually there is reasoning for it

Maybe I'm just a little weary of GRRM's "ALL HEROES MUST DIE!!" approach to storytelling, especially since Sansa and Arya have been doing a

• What do you mean, "still?"

I still dont get why you think game of thrones is "all heroes must die" . Anyway killing rodrik/asher would be very lazy and pointless. K

• Yes it is mate,for the fucks sake there was even an interview with one of the Telltale producers.
    Can't you trust that?

I can feel you're tired of waiting but don't question the information you already have.
    It confuses people and is very annoying :(

Is season 2 confirmed ? Not seeing anything promising at all, they promised new information "soon" like a year ago..

• Don't get me wrong, I really wanna see them again, I just find it unlikely since there are so many possibilities. They can mantain their story going and also explore another family.

It would be a little weird and nonsensical of Telltale to suddenly abandon/downgrade the Forrester story after we've become so emotionally invested in their plight. Imagine if Javi was the protagonist of TWD season two instead of Clementine.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.