Is the show worth watching?

I really enjoyed the game, but from what I hear the show seems to lack much character nuance?

Specifically it seems that Jon Snow is practically perfect in every way possible: good leader, good soldier, good looking, has special abilities, noble blood, good lover, bound by prophecy. Is there any nuance within his character where he comes across rather badly at any point? From the way my friends describe it he just seems to be a golden poster child :/

Comments

• Hm, it sounds like your friends oversimplify things here. It is true that the books often have more nuanced personalities for their main characters, but there are very few characters in the show I'd describe as lacking any sort of nuance. Jon Snow is all of the things you mention there, yet at the same time, it took him 6-7 seasons of development to get to this point. There are several moments he showed character flaws, up until the climactic battle of the last season in fact. Some of them might be considered spoilers, if you indeed plan on watching the show one day, so I cannot name most of them. Though very much on the good side of the moral spectrum in both, books and show, I consider Jon to be a very interesting character and he's certainly a fan favourite for more than his looks.

Generally, the books are a bit more daring when it comes to show their main characters as deeply flawed. For example, Tyrion, who is the most prominent Point-of-View character and GRRM's self-admitted favourite is a very grey character in the books, sharing his show-counterparts likable qualities, but also having some traits that are incredibly dark, such as ordering the death of a guy that tried to blackmail him. These more villainous traits are not seen in the show, in favour of making him more one of the good guys. That said, I consider the show to be greatly entertaining and very much worth watching. Though not perfect by any means and, admittedly, simplified when compared to the books, it is still a deep show and though characters such as Jon might be rather classically heroic characters (at least by now), there are characters such as Jaime Lannister, Arya, the Hound or even Cersei during her more likable moments that add a lot of depth to the show. It lacks character nuance compared to the incredibly deep and rich novels, but that is not a fair comparison in my opinion. And on the other hand, there is even the occasional character from the books that gets more fleshed out in the show and shows a deeper, more complex personality. If you enjoyed the game, you will enjoy the show, simple as that :)

• Your friends failed to mention that Jon is pretty impulsive sometimes. He's not perfect.

• Your description of Jon sounds more like Daenerys lol. I can't even explain how much I hate her. Jon had 7 seasons of character development and he's still very much flawed, I won't go into detail about daenerys since I will spoil you and that's not cool.

Anyway yeah watch the show if you liked the game, it's far better since its based on amazing books.

• Well mate the show is like Renly himself pretty to look at but not worthy at the end of the day...

Come on I'm joking! The show has its good points like The Battle of Blackwater,The Siege of Riverrun,the dragons...They portrayed with good quality some details and left out others that deserve to be in...

In Conclusion if you want a "Truthful adaptation" from the paper you may not find it...Or yes depending if you want changues on major storylines, substitution of some characters.

So yeah it's your decision to take ;)

• Yes, it is. Out of the shows I have watched, Game of Thrones is my favorite one. And though your friends may be right about Jon, he took some seasons of development to get there, and he isn't the only Main Character of the show, and most of the other ones aren't as "perfect" as him, and indeed have some dark moments where you think what they are doing is bad or wrong (no spoilers, but Robb Stark, Arya Stark and Daenerys are some of this characters). Also some other characters have great development despite being secondary characters, like Theon Greyjoy. Both the storytelling and the action of the show are really well done, I'd say it's definetely worth it.

• It is worth watching and it has lots of character nuance, including Jon Snow. He's far from perfect, he's just a good man who has strange birth circumstances.

• Dude... I love Theon!

Yes, it is. Out of the shows I have watched, Game of Thrones is my favorite one. And though your friends may be right about Jon, he took som

• edited July 2017

Umm....yeah, duh!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.