Book Cersei Vs Show Cersei

So what version of Cersei do you guys like the best the Book version of her which is my favorite version or the Show version of Cersei.

Comments

• Is there a big difference?

• edited August 2017

It is mate a long way difference ;).
    On the series Cersei is sold to the audience as "half evil" with motherly inclinations towards her children.
    Book Cersei is a fully Ice Queen, extremely paranoid with big power desires and no morality.
    Someone on the forums said to me that he/she actually feels bad for Cersei,details like that explains the bad adaptation.

Here a video with the comparations between book Cersei and Show Cersei:
    ()

Thanks to the Dragon Demands for the explanation!

WalkerHH93 posted: »

Is there a big difference?

• There's a Shit ton of differences lol, I'll give you an example like remember that Scene in Season one where Ned, Sansa, Arya, Robert, Cersei, Joffrey, etc are in the room. Well in the books Cersei tells whoever brings her the Direwolf's Fur so she can wear she'll pay them 100 Gold for it. That was CUT out of the show sadly and there are other changes to her character

WalkerHH93 posted: »

Is there a big difference?

• Someone on the forums said to me that he/she actually feels bad for Cersei,details like that explains the bad adaptation.

I don't personally feel bad for show!Cersei, but I have to say that is a ridiculous statement. Giving Cersei's character more depth, and giving her more human motivations is not a sign of bad adaptation. On the contrary, it makes the character more interesting, and villains in a good story should be interesting.

I understand complaints when a character is simplified in the adaptation, but when you complain about character actually being made more interesting, that's just book purism.

Tunak23 posted: »

It is mate a long way difference . On the series Cersei is sold to the audience as "half evil" with motherly inclinations towards her child

• I don't really have a problem with how cersei was adapted really, Actually, Lena made me care more for Cersei IMO. There are some changes that i had a problem with but i decided to just accept it

Someone on the forums said to me that he/she actually feels bad for Cersei,details like that explains the bad adaptation. I don't pe

• Yeah, I think Lena Headey has done a fantastic job as Cersei, and the writers have mostly done a great job making her an interesting villain, but still keeping her clearly a villain.

In most cases book characters are more detailed and have more depth than their show counterparts, but with Cersei I just don't think that's true. There are some other examples as well where I enjoy the show character more, like Tywin and Jorah, but of course most of the time the characters in the books are given a bit more depth and detail.

A1pha150 posted: »

I don't really have a problem with how cersei was adapted really, Actually, Lena made me care more for Cersei IMO. There are some changes that i had a problem with but i decided to just accept it

• For me Lena has saved the Show for me starting in Season 5. I think the reason i'm still watching the show is because of Lena and how her version of cersei.

Yeah, I think Lena Headey has done a fantastic job as Cersei, and the writers have mostly done a great job making her an interesting villain

• edited August 2017

That's your opinion man.But what's the true objective of an adaptation?
    Portrayed the content from the original source in the truthful way possible.That doesn't happen with some characters or full plot arcs on the show and Cersei is one of them.

The thing is that something bad is being doing when Cersei a character that is described openly as a cold-bitch or simply an Ice Queen who enjoys to make people suffer turns into a caring mother who suffers for others and even shows empathy(the best example is the baby she had with Robert in the show when in the books she kills all with moon tea,on the show she cries him on the books she despised the babies)

Is not the same character and it doesn't make Cersei more interesting as a character it only makes her a enterely different one.
    People saying everywhere" I care for Cersei she is not bad" doesn't help or rise the quality of the series,it shows a big failure on the topic :(.

I don't really have a problem with how cersei was adapted really, Actually, Lena made me care more for Cersei IMO. There are some changes that i had a problem with but i decided to just accept it

• I'm not saying Show Cersei is perfect in any means actually i would have preferred her Book version Adapted but we didn't really get it :( But i liked the Version we got, Sure it isn't perfect but i just dealt to live with it for some reason

That's your opinion man.But what's the true objective of an adaptation? Portrayed the content from the original source in the truthful way

• To me the true objective of an adaptation is to tell a great story, while also respecting and staying in the spirit of the source material. To you if something is different from the source material it's automatically bad, and if that's how you see it then fine, but that's just your vision on making an adaptation not some ultimate rule of the universe.

And Cersei has been portrayed ruthless and cold in the show, just with an added layer of humanity that makes her motivations deeper than just "I'm evil muhahahah".

That's your opinion man.But what's the true objective of an adaptation? Portrayed the content from the original source in the truthful way

• I agree. A good adaption is not to follow the original source material completely to the letter. Something that works in the books won't work in a TV or Movie adaption because the medium is different.

To me the true objective of an adaptation is to tell a great story, while also respecting and staying in the spirit of the source material.

• Well i 100% agree with the both of you's, Plus if they made TV Cersei like Book Cersei TV Only fans who will never read the books would probably freak out and complain.

I agree. A good adaption is not to follow the original source material completely to the letter. Something that works in the books won't work in a TV or Movie adaption because the medium is different.

• I was speaking to WildlingKing man,take it easy ;)

I'm not saying Show Cersei is perfect in any means actually i would have preferred her Book version Adapted but we didn't really get it But i liked the Version we got, Sure it isn't perfect but i just dealt to live with it for some reason

• Oh right sorry about that Lol

I was speaking to WildlingKing man,take it easy

• Hey guys I won't make further comment,only say that portrayed Cersei as she is in the paper wasn't complicated or "limited to the media",it is as easy as the one you praise.That's no real argument.

We both know man that Cersei is that way "Cold and ruthless" if you put a big amount of sympathy and humanity on her we lose her character.
    Tell a great story related to the original source in more points than one I believe you mean.
    If not man you're entering the land of fanfiction.

I agree. A good adaption is not to follow the original source material completely to the letter. Something that works in the books won't work in a TV or Movie adaption because the medium is different.

• No worries,Things on the forum are pretty confusing sometimes.

Oh right sorry about that Lol

• That's a really good point to be honest

Hey guys I won't make further comment,only say that portrayed Cersei as she is in the paper wasn't complicated or "limited to the media",it

• So, what you're saying is that you'd rather have Cersei as a one dimensional villain with no humanizing traits?

The humanizing traits of her character don't take away from her more villanous traits. It just makes her less of a one note -character, making her moments of ruthlessness all the more impactful and compelling.

And tbh, it's not like they would've gone overboard with the sympathy for Cersei. They have merely shown us what makes her tick, and that's important for any compelling villain.

Now, I'm not saying that book!Cersei is a bad character or utterly devoid of any humanity, but honestly I just find show!Cersei more interesting.

Hey guys I won't make further comment,only say that portrayed Cersei as she is in the paper wasn't complicated or "limited to the media",it

• No, Seriously to cut this out,I'm only saying that I want the real Cersei as she was written on the first place.
    It's not that difficult,problems with that to George ;)

So, what you're saying is that you'd rather have Cersei as a one dimensional villain with no humanizing traits? The humanizing traits of

• edited August 2017

I really don't like the show, i guess i'm one of those dirty book purist people bitch about. And as you can guess from that, i prefer book Cersei

I would also say that even if she is not one of my favorite characters, i find her intresting, how her mind works i mean. I must admit it has been a while since i read the books, so i can't really give a good example.

• I hate both Cerceis but book Cercei is so in the stratosphere of crazy that her chapters are kind of entertaining.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.