What are some examples of choices that have had a satisfying impact in Telltale games?

It's widely known among the gaming community that a huge selling point of Telltale's games is the many difficult, dramatic choices that are presented in the gameplay and the impact they have on the narrative. However, a common criticism that has been brought up time and time again by detractors (and fans) of Telltale is how the consequences of the choices are so miniscule to be insignificant, commonly referred to as the "illusion of choice". Here we can discuss times when our choices have had meaningful consequences and bring up counterpoints to the "illusion of choice". Of course this can be very subjective so please respect other's examples, thank you :)

Tagged:

Comments

• A lot of developers choose to make choices inconsequential to the plot in order to convey a more cohesive narrative.
    Almost every game that's story driven will either have this, or an "A, B, or C", choose-your-own, ending after choices are said and done.

The way the more successful games go about it, is to use the "A, B, or C" method behind the scenes. Taking the choices and shoehorning them into one of a handful of endings. The problem with that is the developer can improperly assume the player's motives. Unless you're out saving the world, the motive matters. The motivation for choices in games like Dragon Age: Origins are inconsequential. They didn't matter as to the personality you chose to give your character. When you're making a game more personal and dramatic, it starts to matter.

Could they be more successful having multiple endings with a programmed algorithm determining your outcome? Maybe. Maybe fans will be just as upset with that if they don't feel it was in tune with their character as they see them.

I'm going to bring it back since the game did receive a lot of praise. Depending on your choices in Dragon Age: Origins, the story at the end of the game could resemble this:
    fray

Yeah, you saved the world...but what about this? What about that? What about...
    Doesn't matter, the game is over. Use your imagination.

Would this fly these days?

• Carley or Doug.

• Shoot Lee or Leave him to turn. Had a strong emotional impact regardless of what you chose and wasn't reliant on long term consequences. Asher or Rodrik in GoT also had a strong impact.

• Whether or not Harvey becomes a villain.

• Shooting Conrad or accepting the deal and all the other Conrad choices throughout the season.

• Trust Fiona or Trust Jack

• Glassing Woody....I thought I was going to toast him.....Bigby don't play nice.

• He becomes a villain no matter what though

ScootyZ posted: »

Whether or not Harvey becomes a villain.

• Carley/Doug
    • Trust Fiona/Trust Jack
    • Kill Crooked man/Bring him in for trial
    • Save Selina/Save Harvey
    • Bring Finn/Don't Bring Finn
    • Leave Rodrik/Leave Asher
    • Cut off Lee's arm or not
  • But his descent and how he's protrayed is pretty interesting. Whether its from the facial scars or the mental damage, its really satisfying stopping a clear face Harvey who breaks down rather than beating up a fully scarred Two Face who wishes nothing but death to Bruce. Its a really well done difference and one of my favorite alterations from Telltale.

Twdsaviours posted: »

He becomes a villain no matter what though

• Truly the most tragic death of any Telltale games: Fionas hat

Trust Fiona or Trust Jack

• He will still be Two-Face even if you saved him. Drug will make him Two-Face, not the traumatic events that he has been going through. But actually Bruce mentioned that they can make a cure for everyone in specific and Bruce realized the fact that he has been drugged in debate so why didnt he suggest a cure for him ? Questions...

ScootyZ posted: »

Whether or not Harvey becomes a villain.

• MrJavaMrJava Banned
    edited August 2017

Conrad doesnt have any specific importance in scenario, he will make an appearance like 4-5 minutes in the episode 4 and 5 on total. I'd doubt, it was satisfied.

Creeper1846 posted: »

Shooting Conrad or accepting the deal and all the other Conrad choices throughout the season.

• I am glad I didnt trust that asshole instead of Fiona.

Trust Fiona or Trust Jack

• Either cutting his arm off or not will not change anything. He will still die. He will just not have any pass-outs which doesnt have any affect in scenario as well.

* Carley/Doug * Trust Fiona/Trust Jack * Kill Crooked man/Bring him in for trial * Save Selina/Save Harvey * Bring Finn/Don't Bring Finn * Leave Rodrik/Leave Asher * Cut off Lee's arm or not

• Asher or Rodrik

• Same here. Always choosing humans over technology.

MrJava posted: »

I am glad I didnt trust that asshole instead of Fiona.

• I am surprised that we are in a minority, tho.

AronDracula posted: »

Same here. Always choosing humans over technology.

• Minority? Last time I checked, trusting Fiona was in majority.

I am surprised that we are in a minority, tho.

• It still changes many dialogue options and scenes and changes how many weapons Lee uses to fight the herd

Either cutting his arm off or not will not change anything. He will still die. He will just not have any pass-outs which doesnt have any affect in scenario as well.

• Same here.

synonim789 posted: »

Asher or Rodrik

• Leave Asher or Rodrik
    • Trust Jack/Trust Fiona
    • Save Carley or Doug
    • Kill Crooked Man/Imprison Him
    • Save Harvey or Save Catwoman
    • Tell Athena to kill Cassius/Stop her
  • He can be redeemed in episode 5.

He will still be Two-Face even if you saved him. Drug will make him Two-Face, not the traumatic events that he has been going through. But a

• As well as adding dialogue in Season 2 where Clementine can say that cutting the arm off doesn't work.

It still changes many dialogue options and scenes and changes how many weapons Lee uses to fight the herd

• Save Carley or Doug
    • Save Ben or let him die
    • Help Mr. Toad or Prince Lawrence
    • Kill The Crooked Man or take him to trial
    • Trust Jack or Fiona
    • Agree with Athena or Defend Cassius
    • Save Asher or Rodrik
    • Bring Finn along or Leave him at the Wall
    • Save Gabriel or Petra
    • Find Ellegaard or Magnus
    • Save Harvey or Selina
    • Go after Harvey or The Penguin
  • Aye, you're right! Cross season choices ftw

prink34320 posted: »

As well as adding dialogue in Season 2 where Clementine can say that cutting the arm off doesn't work.

• I finished that episode a couple of weeks ago and it was between %40-50 I cant remember exactly.

Pipas posted: »

Minority? Last time I checked, trusting Fiona was in majority.

• Taking the Crooked Man to trial. He was such a smug bastard, it was nice watching everyone turn against him.

• But you almost lost it until Nerissa arrives.

Taking the Crooked Man to trial. He was such a smug bastard, it was nice watching everyone turn against him.

• With Telltale's newest titles featuring much more dramatic consequences to player choice than ever before, I'd like to revive this thread :smile:

Sign in to comment in this discussion.