(PC Geeks) Why are PC versions of PS & Xbox games Larger Sizes?

I just saw specs of some games in the internet and i saw NBA 2k18 for Xbox and PS were around 7 to 8 GB. When I looked at the PC version, it was a whopping 55GB.

I mean really?

So what's the reason behind it? is it mainly due to porting? and higher resolution textures?
How about if they make the textures same as that of Xbox & PS, would it become the same as the size of PS & Xbox?
Or is it when they convert the textures from Xbox/PS to PC they become larger?

enter image description here

Tagged:

Comments

• edited September 2017

Because those console sizes are the downloadable portion of a disc game. PC is a full download.

NBA 2K18 on PSN is a 46.8 GB download.

• edited September 2017

The other part of the answer(because the file size is still bigger) is due to a number of things. The biggest is because it is a port of a console game. Games, generally, only get bigger in size as they're ported. They are adding files and code, not removing them.

There's also features specific to PC, like using a mouse and keyboard, graphics menus and such that add to file sizes as well.

Johro posted: »

Because those console sizes are the downloadable portion of a disc game. PC is a full download. NBA 2K18 on PSN is a 46.8 GB download.

• edited September 2017

Idk my question is why do downloadable games take up so much memory on the switch. Nba 2k18 takes up 22 gbs on Switch plus 16 gbs for software (or maybe that’s part of the 22 idk) I think pc is different because Pc support more things other than games and since there is more space on a pc 55 gigs is like 20 to a pc also just like the switch downloadable ones take up more for example Zelda on the switch takes up 13 gbs if it’s downloaded but the cartridge makes it only 115 megabytes so I think it has something to do with it being downloadable.

• There are many different reasons....here are but a few.

• PCs while very powerful are not all made the same...there are many types of videocards and ram sizes on PC
    • Textures tend to be larger on PC due to superior 4k abilities on high end machines
    • PC loads the entire game
    • PC games can come with Mod support or even tools to make mods that consoles may not use.
    • Systems may have different kinds of compression tech to keep files sizes down....
    • DRM software
Sign in to comment in this discussion.