Can I play this game without playing the main game?

I didn't play Borderlands 1 neither 2, so can I play this one or I will not understand anything cause of lacking the background story?

Comments

• Honestly, some of the background world building might go over your head, but it's definitely not required.

The first two/three minutes of Episode 1 have an opening monologue explaining the general premise of the universe, and the story of Tales will most prominently focus on original characters.

• I didnt play Borderlands or Borderlands 2 before but I didnt have any trouble to make progress since the monologue before ep1 start is explaining everything shortly that you need to know. But it wouldnt hurt to play at least Borderlands 1 or 2 so you will exactly understand what is going on. Zer0, for example, is a protagonist in Borderlands 2 so you can become more familiar with story. However, it is not a necessity. Choice is yours.

• I can tell you I didn't play any of the other Borderlands games, and I didn't have trouble with any of the concepts in the Telltale series. I probably missed a bunch of inside jokes, but they're not important to completing the game.

• Having since played Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel around the time of Tales, I don't think there were any inside jokes. Most of it was just references to pre-existing portions of the Borderlands universe, such as the story behind the two corporations (Hyperion and Atlas), or the importance of Handsome Jack.

WarpSpeed posted: »

I can tell you I didn't play any of the other Borderlands games, and I didn't have trouble with any of the concepts in the Telltale series. I probably missed a bunch of inside jokes, but they're not important to completing the game.

• I first played Tales from the Borderlands, then afterwards I played Borderlands 1, 2 and The Pre-Sequel, and then I played TFTB again, and the first three games in the series honestly didn't add much for me. But I guess if you're planning on playing all games in the series anyway, you might as well do it in the right order.

• Not required but definitely recommended.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.