Assasins creed origins is (surprisingly) being recived well.

Now I haven’t played the game because I live in America. But critics like polygon and IGN (I would post links but I’m currently on mobile and the link button is hidden or something) have given it 8 or 9/10’s. Obviously critics don’t really have much significance to a lot of people and I was thinking about holding off on this game. Has anyone here played the game and if so what do you think of it? Do you agree of disagree with the critics? (Either way I’m still getting Mario Odyssey instead).

Tagged:

Comments

• ACG (critic I usually agree with) said that the story was pretty awful, the main character was as bland as it gets and the combat was hit or miss. So I'm avoiding the game. Also, at least for me, I just got through Shadow of War a few days ago which is a very similar game so I've had my fill of that type of game for awhile.

• I didn't play it yet but that's nice to know. I know I'm gonna end up buying it anyway regardless of the critics. It is just that kind of franchise that you like enough to play all games, but not enough to care so much about spoilers that you buy it on release at full price, you know?

• That's good I guess. The problem they face is that fans are going to buy it, but they're so far along in the franchise that everyone else is really hard pressed to care. I do gather that this is supposed to be a new starting point, but it's still Assassin's Creed. I really liked the first two games. I did, but that love affair ended pretty quickly after that. If it really is good. Great for the fans that stuck through the series. They deserve a great game at this point.

• surprisingly

you say that as if game journalists haven't been riding the AC series' dick for a paycheck ever since AC3. the only 2 AC games that got even mixed reviews were Unity and Rogue. Every other game has been sung praises highly and tbh only one of them deserve it.

• Uh, Sung praises highly? That's really not true. Only 4 games have had significant praise. AC2, Brotherhood, Black Flag, and (now) Origins

surprisingly you say that as if game journalists haven't been riding the AC series' dick for a paycheck ever since AC3. the only 2 A

• And at least one of these (I didn't play Origins yet so it might be two), Black Flag , is barely an AC game, though I maintain that it is a pretty good game on itself.

Uh, Sung praises highly? That's really not true. Only 4 games have had significant praise. AC2, Brotherhood, Black Flag, and (now) Origins

• Assassin's Creed - 7-9/10's all across the board
    Assassin's Creed II - 10's all across the board
    AC: Brotherhood - 8-9/10's all across the board
    AC: Revelations - 7-8/10's all across the board
    Assassin's Creed III - 8-9/10's all across the board
    ACIV: Black Flag - 9/10's all across the board
    AC: Syndicate - 9/10's all across the board and a single 5/10

Only 4, huh?

Uh, Sung praises highly? That's really not true. Only 4 games have had significant praise. AC2, Brotherhood, Black Flag, and (now) Origins

• Yes, only 4. Cause I'm looking at other reviews beyond just numbers. They're not "praised highly". They're given good reviews, and people call them good games, but only 4 of them have been called truly great

Assassin's Creed - 7-9/10's all across the board Assassin's Creed II - 10's all across the board AC: Brotherhood - 8-9/10's all across th

• I watched the same review before buying, and while I more or less agree on the story (I'm not really far into it yet, but admittedly the premise seems a bit generic) and combat, but I wouldn't say the main character is bland at all. From what I've seen so far he has a pretty distinct and likable personality, which I wasn't expecting due to ACG's comments.

Overall though, like ACG said in his video the world is the main attraction of this game, and man is it interesting and beautiful.

Jaku2011 posted: »

ACG (critic I usually agree with) said that the story was pretty awful, the main character was as bland as it gets and the combat was hit or

• I'm usually not one to care for the big world part of the game (story and characters are more important to me) it's nice that the main character is decent, only Assassins Creed character I like is Edward Kenway because he spent most of the game thinking Assassins were dumb.

I watched the same review before buying, and while I more or less agree on the story (I'm not really far into it yet, but admittedly the pre

• Is there a modern story?

• Yes

AgentZ46 posted: »

Is there a modern story?

• Without going into too much detail... what sort is it? By that I mean is it like Syndicate where you just watch it or something like the earlier ones?

Yes

• Like the earlier ones

• edited November 2017

I pre-ordered the Gold Edition Digitally for Xbox One & i’m loving it.

I’m still early in it (about 15 hours I think - I’m in Alexandria, the second area you go to) as i’ve been exploring, doing side quests etc to level up, and it deserves the great reviews.

Is it perfect? No, not many are, but it’s damn close. I’m talking 9/10 close (maybe even 9.5 if it still remains amazing in another 15 hours).

No two missions are the same, and it’s visually gorgeous. Some character models aren’t perfect, but when you have a game world the size of Black Flag, but with mainly land as opposed to mainly water in Black Flag, you can’t expect every character to be given the same level of detail. They still look lovely though & this game will look beautiful in 4K.

Senu is a nice addition (it worked great as an Owl in Far Cry Primal) & will scout ahead for you in the Air, Bayek is a great protagonist with a thirst for revenge (I won’t spoil the story) & exploring doesn’t feel like a chore.

You truly do want to go everywhere as there’s something going on or something great to find, even when travelling through the Sandy Areas in the Desert.

The Combat works really well, and is very skill based, as you work out the best Weapons & plans of Attack to use against different enemies. You can’t hammer the attack buttons & expect to kill everyone that way. Some will be easy to take down by being wailed upon, others will have to be craftily taken down by a mixture of blocking, rolling & picking the best time to expose them & attack a la Dark Souls.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.