[Episode 3 Spoilers] Is John playing everyone to come out on top?

What do you think? Personally, I don't think he's nearly as clueless or benign as he sometimes acts. I think there's more of the Joker we know from other media in there than we've seen outright. Episode 3 in particular gave me this impression. For how loyal and in love John claims to be with Harley, it didn't take too much for him to agree to steal her laptop for Bruce. Except...no. He planned to give it to Batman instead.

I also wonder if there's something to him going through the same motions he did with Bruce with Batman (the handshake and the picture). What if he's actively trying to compare?

Comments

• edited November 2017

He is. There were like three moments in Episode 3 where he had these looks on his face when Bruce turned away. He snitches about finding Project Lotus to Harley if you don't tell her. He also snitches to Harley about Tiffany, and can possibly give the laptop to Batman (if you call the GCPD on Selina) even though he ///promised/// Bruce he would get the laptop for him. He also STEALS from Harley who he claims he adores. He's playing all of them and I can't wait to see how that reveals next episode.

And John knowing Bruce is Batman would be too much of a big change. Your main rival knowing your identity? Wayne tower would be blown up in an instant.

• There is definitely more to John then meets the eye, though I think his feelings for Harley and his friendship with Bruce are genuine.

• He's clearly playing his own games, as shown when he promised Harley, Bruce, AND Batman the laptop. However i do think the bromance is genuine.

• edited November 2017

I really hope not. Would really ruin the character for me.

EDIT: Plus shaping your Joker is a big thing this season. Maybe you could push him to go that route but I don't think he's automatically that way. Like in episode 3 we can encourage him to be either genuine or more manipulative.

• I don't think so.
    Maybe if you teach him how to do so, he will learn that but for now.... I really don't think he has it in him.

• edited November 2017

Telling John to be genuine worries me. Are we talking about him being genuine as he is now or is telling him to be genuine a way of encouraging him to be the self that's inside?

• It seemed like all the dialogue options resulted in pretty much the same outcome here

AnimalBoy posted: »

Telling John to be genuine worries me. Are we talking about him being genuine as he is now or is telling him to be genuine a way of encouraging him to be the self that's inside?

• What happens if you tell John to be genuine? I told him to pull people's strings and listen to them/get inside their head.

• John opens up about his time in Arkham and how he can feel someone inside him (the Enemy Within?) basically his inner self and the darker parts of him. And Bruce can advise him to let it out or suppress it. Though John points out it's a little confusing if you tell him to be himself and yet keep his inner self hidden.

What happens if you tell John to be genuine? I told him to pull people's strings and listen to them/get inside their head.

• edited November 2017

I know there's more to him than it looks, but I think he's genuine with Bruce and their friendship. And I think John is himself right now and what he feels inside is the illness. He is a mental patient after all.

• Yes. Should be pretty obvious. Just look at the screenshot preview thing for Ep 5. He's literally fighting batman.

• I imagine he is confused as to who he wants to be/is, but there is no doubt that he is way more intelligent than he lets on

• I think in 4rd episode we will destroy / put in jail all ppl from the pact except John and he will get mad. Or maybe as some ppl think John is more than we may expect...

Sign in to comment in this discussion.