First Impressions - Wow

edited November 2006 in Sam & Max
That's all I can say. Wow.

This is GOOD. I wasn't expecting this quality from a "small" studio. Everything is top notch. The graphics are great. The voice acting is great. The writing is great (well, good enough but it could have a little more energy). The interface is beyond great. VERY good adventure game interface! The camera works perfectly. You can tell this game was made with love. Or high octane gas. Either or.

I'm more than pleased, and happy. I'm crying in my lunch at the thought of a new era of adventure games.

Worth every penny!

Comments

• edited November 2006
    So true, great production values here. I played only about 10 minutes the trial (i purchased the game but i am plagued with the ARM1014 error) but that was really enjoyable, but then again i am an easy audience for Sam and Max since i am a fan :P

Good good good job !
  • edited November 2006
    All this rampant weenie cannibalism turns my stomach.

:lol:
  • edited November 2006
    Agreed... especially regarding the interface. Although I do miss the option of using max, then clicking another object. Sigh.

But still, best adventure game interface/engine to date, imho.
  • edited November 2006
    It's living up to my expectations in every way, I love it \o/
  • edited November 2006
    This game is great! Have played a while now.. Love it! Thx Telltale
  • edited November 2006
    It's not only wow, it's.. Something better than that ^^
    The graphics are amazing but it runs so well on my cheap 460€ PC. Other game studios should ask you how you're doing your job ;)

I really loved the original Sam & Max and when Lucas Arts announced Sam & Max 2, I was so happy, it looked great. And then they cancelled it and I hated them for that ^^ But here it is and it just feels like Sam and Max all over. You did an awesome job on the game, I just bought the whole season and I hope the other seasons will be as good as the first one.

Now, I'm only waiting for Monkey Island Season 1 *wink* ^^
  • edited November 2006
    yeah finally Sam&Max will be continued :)

i played sam and max hit the road many many times

i just finished the game (Really only 3 hours playtime)

yeah it is one episode from a whole season, but i just think 3 hours isn't enough, i have that feeling that i only played a half game or less
  • edited November 2006
    the graphics are amazing, the voice acting is good but the audio quality of it is poor.. very fuzzy effect maybe due to compression. great so far
  • edited November 2006
    I haven't finished it yet, but have a feeling I'm getting close.

I'm very, very impressed with the game. My hat off to everyone who worked on it.

This feels just so much more alive and breathing than Bone (atleast the first one, I never purchased the second).

I finally got that old-timey Lucasarts feeling from way back, which no game since Lucas in their prime have been able to give me.

Thanks!!
  • edited November 2006
    It was worth the 13 years wait. good job! Can't wait for the next one. Forgot about the voice actors being different within the first 5 minutes. they were very similar.
  • edited November 2006
    Ive played for around an hour but very slowly and its honestly brilliant. I had no idea Telltale could make a game of this quality and its Sam & Max through and through. Really really funny and very cleverly done - I hope Sam & Max have years of releases left because honestly if it remains at this quality its going to be a heart breaker if it were to ever stop.

I'd love to post in more detail later after I have played more but up to now... simply wonderful.

P.S I had issues with Sam's voice in the video previews but in playing the game they both seemed perfect. Nice ;)
  • edited November 2006
    top notch. Level of difficulty was perfect (tho the puzzles were kept simple) I only hope telltale attempt new and different elements in as people get used to it more. ;)
  • edited November 2006
    Just finished it in less than three hours. I gotta say I love the game, it's definatly the Sam and Max I remember from when I was a wee lad sitting next to my mum playing the game together with her.

I do have one issue though, I played quite alot of adventures and well... it was simply too easy, nothing really stopped me to think and go "Erm, hrm.." it was all pretty obvious what had to be done. *possible spoiler in white text* I admit the final scene had me for a minute or two while I was looking at my options.
    I'd like to see some more difficulty in the following episodes.

But, the difficulty barely matters when you can just sit back and listen to those two rant. Made me chuckle and grin quite alot, love the humor. Keep it up!

Really looking forward to the next episode, definatly worth waiting for! :D

edit: like said above, at first I was rather fearfull of there being new voice actors for Sam and Max, but I can only say one thing about them: Great!
  • edited November 2006
    Even better than I expected - and I expected it to kick ass.

The dialog and delivery are great, more subtle than the original game perhaps, but personally I think I found the humour even funnier (I don't often laugh out loud at stuff, even Family Guy has been failing me lately).

And the puzzles were both creative and logical, to the point where it really did feel like you were just playing a part in a TV show. The dream sequence with the Bradys was great.

IDEA: Why not make it that there are actual speeding lawbreakers you can take down in the driving bit? It'd be a cool timewaster, like the highway surfin' in Hit the Road.

Overall, I'm definately not regretting that pre-order splashout. Can't wait for the next installment.
  • DanHDanH Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    Archannon wrote: »
    *possible spoiler in white text*

We have a new and improved feature for this (the brackets don't need to be bolded):

/B][B]spoiler[/B][BTell your deepest, darkest secret here /B][B]/spoiler[/B][B

produces:
    Tell your deepest, darkest secret here

Tell your friends!;)
  • edited November 2006
    I just upgraded it to include a
    nifty dashed outline
    to show off its existence :)
    Surely the classiest way to share your secrets with the world.
  • edited November 2006
    Telltale & MI... mmm... :D (damn LA and licences, etc, etc)
    It's not only wow, it's.. Something better than that ^^
    The graphics are amazing but it runs so well on my cheap 460€ PC. Other game studios should ask you how you're doing your job ;)

I really loved the original Sam & Max and when Lucas Arts announced Sam & Max 2, I was so happy, it looked great. And then they cancelled it and I hated them for that ^^ But here it is and it just feels like Sam and Max all over. You did an awesome job on the game, I just bought the whole season and I hope the other seasons will be as good as the first one.

Now, I'm only waiting for Monkey Island Season 1 *wink* ^^
  • edited November 2006
    All this rampant weenie cannibalism turns my stomach.

:lol:

*Gobbles some weenies*
  • edited November 2006
    Seems Sam & Max have delved even deeper into their thesaurus this time around. Great!!!
  • edited November 2006
    I wouldn't say the graphics are amazing so much as the artists have done a brilliant job. I love how everything looks. Although the graphics are quite nice despite the fact that I had to go 1024 by 768 (My monitor is a 16:10 1680 pixels by 1050 beast which despite being quite impressive is not widely supported). And whoever was in charge of camera did a fine job as well. The way that the camera zooms in on a certain place whenever there's a scene change is very nice indeed. Set the tone and distracted me from the fact that it was loading something.
  • edited November 2006
    I bought the game but still can't play it, no email yet, activation doesn't work etc. etc. Waiting on the Telltale Guys to respond.

I played the demo though and it was excellent. The graphics, music, overall presentation. Top-notch.
    The only things I have a problem with are how easy the two puzzles in the demo are, and the lack of energy in Sam's almost monotonous voice.
    I still like the new voice, but there's just something missing there I think...
    The lack of 1680x1050 widescreen mode is a bit of a downer too, I thought al games these days supported it.

Also the fact that I still can't play the full thing!! ...but I'm in work now anyway and confident that TTG will get back to me by the time I get home so I can.
  • edited November 2006
    Yes Excellent Job!
  • edited November 2006
    I have to say that at first I was a little wary. The initial few minutes seemed... off. I don't know if it's just that the voices were different or what. (It's an amazing testament to the original game that you can notice little nuances like that thirteen years later.) It was fun but didn't seem *quite* up to snuff at the outset.

However, within a few minutes, pretty much
    from the point where Max 'lets the rat go' onward
    , I think it found its feet and has been tons of fun and hilarious since. Most of all, I think it found that fine line that the original game walked. So many little things from the original appear: The ways in which the dialogue you end up saying doesn't quite match the way the option was presented, the cyclic dialogue options where you can click the same option over and over and get different wacky results, etc.
    I really love Bosco's inconvenience store. So many things in the background and so on had me giggling, and Bosco himself is hilarious, as are his PA-system interjections while you're doing other stuff in the store.
  • edited November 2006
    Well.. it´s all over now. Can´t await the next episode. It was constant fun for ca. 2 hours. A little bit short... but still ok for that price.
    But i found the puzzles a bit too easy. Just one got me stuck some time. But just because, I didn´t visit another place, where i got some hints on it.

So everything is fine.. also i don´t care much about the sound-quality - also I got good speakers here and can´t complain but the next should be a little bit longer and have a few harder puzzles. You got sticked with your nose in some answers. (well, don´t know the english saying for that - just used lame-word-to-word-german-english-translation)

Anyway.. thanks for this game.

*thinks of buying Bone now..*
    well.. not this month anymore - have to await me Christmas-gratification *hopes again, he used the right english word*
  • edited November 2006
    I should add some praise here as well - Thank you people of Telltale! The game is brilliant and your dedication shows in all the aspects of it from script to art, music, acting and gameplay. I was laughing the whole episode through and was at the same time impressed by the incredible quality of the work youve done. I hope youll have great success with this.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.