The Pact's Motivations (Episode 4 Spoilers)

So, this episode clarified the Pact's motivations for doing what they were doing. Some were more predictable than others, but nonetheless all 3 of them made sense.

Freeze could use the Lotus to cure Nora.

Bane wanted to be free of his addiction (To the Venom I assume). Though when they were in the elevator, he said he wanted to make the Venom stronger I believe. So he must've been hiding his true intentions from the group to maintain masculinity or something.

And then we have Harley, who has a strong hereditary link to the same mental illness that caused her father to commit suicide, and she wants to prevent that.

How do you guys feel about their motivations. I liked all of them. Freeze's was predictable. But Bane and Harley were nice inputs to their characterization. I don't really get the motivation behind Bane wanted to be cured of his addiction, only cause he seems to live for the fight but imagine illness eating away at your mind and driving you to suicide. I already did sympathize with Harley, but I sympathize even harder now, knowing she had to live with that fear of something that others wouldn't be able to stop , just as she failed with her dad. Still don't condone her actions obviously, but everyone is doing the things they're doing because they or a loved one were medically impaired in some way and felt desperate enough to change that.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• I think I would have liked it better if at least Harley didn't have a real motivation, that she acts just for the sake of chaos and destruction, I know people think Villains need to be relatable (for some reason), but all of this just looks like an excuse to have Bane and Harley kill everyone they want and still have people pity them.

• It's funny how John got roped into all this somehow and is barely useful to them and has 0 purpose except to be with Harley.

• That would be a real harley from comics, but this Harley is more sane than all of others member of Pact, and she is doing this bcs she wont to be sick. Harley from comics love chaos and "Mr.J"!

Kaelthas posted: »

I think I would have liked it better if at least Harley didn't have a real motivation, that she acts just for the sake of chaos and destruct

• I will stick to the hunch I had at the begining of this season - I still think that Waller was somewhat responsible for Lucius' death. I think that She pulled some strings to get Batman involved in this mess, to get Him on Her side, just like She is pulling the strings now to make the pact members Her puppets.

• edited January 2018

They don't need to be relatable, but it's one of the things that makes a character memorable. If every villain ever were just destructive and chaotic for the sake of being destructive and chaotic, how many of them would we really remember?

It's just character depth. The exact same thing can be said about heroes. _"I would have liked it better if Bruce didn't have any real motivation, that he fights crime just for the sake of peace and justice. Having a relatable hero just looks like an excuse to have Batman hand out vigilante justice and still have people on his side." _

Character depth is more fun than "destroy for the sake of destruction." At least to me.

Kaelthas posted: »

I think I would have liked it better if at least Harley didn't have a real motivation, that she acts just for the sake of chaos and destruct

• I like their motivations although I got the classic "sympathize with the villains" vibe that felt just a little bit forced but hey, if it makes the characters more likable and sympathetic, it means the interactions with them will be a lot more interesting so I don't really mind.

• You haven't read the comics lately have you? Harley's wanted nothing to do wtih the Joker for quite awhile now. She's currently in an open relationship with Poison Ivy.

MareCZV posted: »

That would be a real harley from comics, but this Harley is more sane than all of others member of Pact, and she is doing this bcs she wont to be sick. Harley from comics love chaos and "Mr.J"!

• I think he was talking about the old comics, with the original Harley.

AnimalBoy posted: »

You haven't read the comics lately have you? Harley's wanted nothing to do wtih the Joker for quite awhile now. She's currently in an open relationship with Poison Ivy.

• I loved it! Bane's motivation of wanting to rid himself of the addiction of Venom is something from the comics. The Venom was forced on him when he was a test subject at Peña Duro prison. Freeze's motivation was made clear in Episode 2. Harley's motivations make sense and also track with what we know about her from Episode 2. I thought Season 2 did a great job with everyone in the Pact.

• Freeze was the only one who made the most sense to me. Something that should be able to save his wife from dying. Bane's is just kinda, strange. Freeze says its to cure his addiction, but Bane says its to make his venom stronger. Bane wasn't hiding it from the group considering Freeze knew, so who knows if this is some weird inconsistency or not. Either way, both are kinda weak for his reason to want some special serum. Harley's I find super strange. She's already crazy so its weird that even though she is crazy she wants to find the cure for her to not be crazy so she doesn't commit suicide, and even threatens to blow herself up so she can get the cure so she doesn't commit suicide...

• Yeah a i know that but in the begining, all she wanted is Jokerand thats the harley all we know, but i know there is several version of "good" and "sane" Harley. And really i like more new Harley then old.

AnimalBoy posted: »

You haven't read the comics lately have you? Harley's wanted nothing to do wtih the Joker for quite awhile now. She's currently in an open relationship with Poison Ivy.

• I agree. Freeze's motivations make some sense but Bane and Harley ? How could a serum even prevent hereditary mental illnesses ?

Poogers555 posted: »

Freeze was the only one who made the most sense to me. Something that should be able to save his wife from dying. Bane's is just kinda, stra

• I don't think Harley is really crazy. She's unstable, but not crazy. As we were able to see in episode 2, she uses the fact that people considers her unstable and unpredictable as a façade to her advantage. I don't think it's strange for her to look for a way to make sure she doesn't end up like her father.

Freeze was the only one who made the most sense to me. Something that should be able to save his wife from dying. Bane's is just kinda, stra

• Yeah but they say that Harley wants the cure so she doesnt kill herself, and then she does all these things that could easily just lead to her getting herself killed. Just because its a hereditary disease doesnt mean she will 100% get it, so its super strange that if she isnt actually truly crazy, that shes doing all this murder and life risking shit just for a cure so that she wont kill herself lmao

Shaboomm posted: »

I don't think Harley is really crazy. She's unstable, but not crazy. As we were able to see in episode 2, she uses the fact that people cons

• You have a point there lol.

Yeah but they say that Harley wants the cure so she doesnt kill herself, and then she does all these things that could easily just lead to h

• Um... I didn't like Harley's. The whole time I was thinking... 'um... yeah, Harley, hate to tell you this but I think that ship has sailed.' If anything it made me less sympathetic somehow. Like to cure your madness your gonna go mad? Freeze was typical but I liked how they did it. Bane was just kinda overshadowed.
    But I was highly entertained and wasn't bored ever so whateves, it works.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.