Game(s) that defied your expectations.

I feel bored so I wanted to make this thread. What games did you think you weren't going to enjoy but changed your mind when you bought and played them? For example:

• Bloodborne (I never played Dark Souls and was never interested in the Souls franchise before. When I saw a lot of people praising Bloodborne for being one of the best PS4 games, I decided to give it a try and it surprisingly ended as one of the best games I've played in my life, close to being number one. Cannot wait for Dark Souls remastered and FromSoftware's new game)

• Resident Evil 7 (When I saw its announcement at E3 2016, I was so excited because I love horror games but I never played any of the previous games before. When I played REmake which was one of PS Plus free games in Octomber 2016, I kind of understood why it got fan backlash for being different to the previous games and made me feel less excited. When I bought the game, it blew my mind and it became not just my personal GOTY 2017 but also my favorite horror game of all time)

• Tales from the Borderlands (Never played Borderlands and was never interested, the only reason I played this game is because of Telltale and it was nothing but their best game since The Walking Dead)

Tagged:

Comments

• edited February 2018

Same as you Tales From The Borderlands, after playing it i immediately bought the other Borderlands game.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    I didn't thought the game would be so good (i played it with the patch) probably the best vampire game i've played,the soundtrack,the characters,the story,everything is so good in this game.

Alpha Protocol : I thought this game was bad at first,The graphics were ugly,the gameplay wasn't really good and it was full of bugs when it came out (made by Obsidian) but the story is actually not bad and your choices matters a lot,i was impressed.And i liked the protagonist a lot he reminded me of Archer (the way you can act as a total jerk in the game) probably why.

There's a lot of other games that defied my expectations,but these are the only ones i have in mind right now.

• Fortnite: Battle Royale. From the cartoonish things I saw in it, I thought it was just going to be a PS4 version of TF2.

• Dragon Age: Origins for me. I was unsure of how to feel about a protagonist that pretty much didn't speak and hearing about it having choices and consequences, especially for what was apparently a pretty big game made me skeptical, especially after having played allot of Telltale's games.

I was surprised that I actually ended up loving having a protagonist that wasn't voice acted so that I could choose the exact dialogue options I wanted to. The battle mechanics were kinda clunky but still very enjoyable and I was especially surprised at how much choices do actually affect the game. I used the 'Steal' ability allot and people actually noticed and distrusted my protagonist, I even got attacked by people for it and then there were the Origin stories which were entirely different from one another and actually changed parts of the story quite a bit, along with the classes and races.

• DA:O is amazing.
    It is great how much your race, origin, actions, and dialogue affect your story. Your best friend in one origin can be just another random NPC in a different origin.

prink34320 posted: »

Dragon Age: Origins for me. I was unsure of how to feel about a protagonist that pretty much didn't speak and hearing about it having choice

• edited February 2018

I was unsure of how to feel about a protagonist that pretty much didn't speak and hearing about it having choices and consequences, especially for what was apparently a pretty big game made me skeptical,

If you liked it,Well you should play Kotor 1 & 2 it's before Bioware made Mass effect (Star Wars) the best games they've made,made sure to check out Jade empire too.

prink34320 posted: »

Dragon Age: Origins for me. I was unsure of how to feel about a protagonist that pretty much didn't speak and hearing about it having choice

• Yes! I loved this aspect so much, I picked the Human Noble origin first and was surprised how NPCs were more recurring in certain origins, I especially liked the random encounters on the map that often had ties to story elements, like recruits from one area actually making their way to the main base.

Johro posted: »

DA:O is amazing. It is great how much your race, origin, actions, and dialogue affect your story. Your best friend in one origin can be just another random NPC in a different origin.

• I've played a bit of Jade Empire in the past, the combat is quite fun, I need to continue!

As for KOTOR, I definitely plan on completing them! I played the first but couldn't proceed because of a bug, but I've discovered the problem and plan on replaying it again soon! :)

iFoRias posted: »

I was unsure of how to feel about a protagonist that pretty much didn't speak and hearing about it having choices and consequences, especial

• Alan Wake. I overlooked it up until the summer of 2016. For some reason, I thought it was some kind of boring detective game in the woods. It's not good to assume things. Alan Wake had a great story along with a great soundtrack. It made my whole summer.

Alien Isolation. I basically heard it was "not good". It's not good to assume something's bad just because someone else says it is. Alien Isolation is a great game with a great horror atmosphere. The incoming stomps of the alien after it finds you always scares me.

• edited February 2018

i thought last of us was going to be shitty but it ended up being okay. i'm very glad this was the case. very enjoyable game.

i also thought breath of the wild was just gonna be okay at best because i didn't think it'd be possible to live up to 4 years of hype but it kinda surpassed the hype in every way for me.

• GohanFGCGohanFGC Banned
    edited February 2018

Assassins Creed Origins (I had high expectations anyway, but even those were surpassed, that's saying something)

Telltale Batman S2

Sign in to comment in this discussion.