The animation/graphics of Sam and Max

edited May 2006 in Sam & Max
Okay I think we've analysed every piece of dialogue by the voice actors but I think the animation of sam and max in the trailer deserves special mention. I think they've done an awesome job of bringing Sam and Max to life. A little more streamlined than Freelance Police(from what we saw) and I think a little more cartoony which I like.

When Sam says "we're on our way commisioner" and Max blinks looks over at him and nods.. That is awesome. the way Max looks at the objects floating past.. I think the talking is quite smooth.. and then when max puts his head out the car at the end.. Just those little movements are really well done and quite funny.

If thats the standard in the game I think Sam and Max are lookin damn fine in 3D and we got a lot to look forward to :D

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    When Sam says "we're on our way commisioner" and Max blinks looks over at him and nods.. That is awesome.

I agree, that's a nice touch.

My favorite animations in the trailer are when Max "surfs" with his hand outside the car window (that might be the same part you were talking about), and when he looks at his fingers and wiggles them when they're standing in the dark. I also like the episodic Max that looks like he's swimming.
  • edited May 2006
    When Sam says "we're on our way commisioner" and Max blinks looks over at him and nods.. That is awesome.

Gee, I hate to come across like Mr Negativity, but I thought that nod was all wrong.

Where's the comedic value in a nod? Isn't Max supposed to be psychotically driven to get to phone? Shouldn't Max be knawing and biting at Sam's hand? Or at least trying to kick Sam in the ribs?
  • edited May 2006

Gee, I hate to come across like Mr Negativity, but I thought that nod was all wrong.

Where's the comedic value in a nod? Isn't Max supposed to be psychotically driven to get to phone? Shouldn't Max be knawing and biting at Sam's hand? Or at least trying to kick Sam in the ribs?

I agree. I hate this game already. I want 2D goodness, not dumbed down 3D spastic characters. MAX should be like that little squirrel in ICE AGE. COME ON!
  • edited May 2006
    Where's the comedic value in a nod?

The point isn't that it's supposed to be comedic. The point is that it's supposed to look lively. Sam is the focus of that shot, and in poorer productions that would mean that he's the only one making any moves. In the trailer, everybody is doing something, even when they're not talking or the main focus of attention. The point is that by these reactions, Max looks alive. He's not just some puppet that's doing a breathing animation over and over until it's his time to react.
    Isn't Max supposed to be psychotically driven to get to phone? Shouldn't Max be knawing and biting at Sam's hand? Or at least trying to kick Sam in the ribs?

Maybe you missed the fact that a meat cleaver flies into the shot at the very start. Sam is holding Max by the throat, at arms length, for the exact reason that Max would otherwise be able to gnaw and bite at his hands or kick him in the ribs. You don't always have to explicitly show these things. Good animation always implies, as well as shows.

Also, by the time we see max doing the nod thing, the conversation is already over. There's no more need for Max to get to the phone, they already have the assignment. With his short attention span, he's forgotten about the phone already and just wants to get to the assignment to destroy things.

I love the (few) animation we've seen so far... Just one thing: wider maw for max. Think split head. Think... maniac.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    I agree. I hate this game already. I want 2D goodness, not dumbed down 3D spastic characters. MAX should be like that little squirrel in ICE AGE. COME ON!

You are aware that the squirrel in Ice Age is the textbook definition of a "3D spastic character," right? :) Also, your opinion is well documented ;)
  • edited May 2006
    *L* What an awesome article. I'm bookmarking that.
  • edited May 2006

You are aware that the squirrel in Ice Age is the textbook definition of a "3D spastic character," right? :) Also, your opinion is well documented ;)

That squirrel, however 'skittish' he was, was definitely not 'spastic'; he was charming. No matter how good a game's graphics are, or how cutting-edge it is, if if ain't got charm, it ain't got nuthin'. I agree with an earlier post about Max's head: split-open = good. Think of an orange that's just been cleavered open with only the peel to hold the 2 halves together...or a sock-puppet...now you're talking.
  • edited May 2006
    Here's kind of what I mean when we were discussing Max's mouth. Although, Telltale's game designers and animators have probably thought of most possibilities for Max's mouth.

mouth1fl.th.gif
  • edited May 2006
    I personally think the game will suck because there was too much green in the trailer. Come on guys, green! WTF? There is like hardly any green in the first game or the comics and tv show. I think you should just copy the first game. Don't do anything with it, just change to logo to Telltale Games instead of lucasarts.

:D

Before anyone says anything, yes this is sarcasm. Which is a little hard to convey to some people on forums. I like to imagine Telltale is doing a good job with the game and the fellas aren't just sitting around on their arses saying "How can we make Max suck. Someone make these voices crappier!". Seriously guys, helpful criticism is one thing, declaring your undying hatred for the entire game based on the trailer is another. Maybe I sound like I'm being a little bit over the top in what I'm saying but you guys should read through the whole threads you've written. They give the impression that at least one of you is going to hunt down everyone involved in the game and *censored*. Although the mouth could do with a little bit of widening. Just enough to make you feel uncomfortable when you look at his big smile with all his teeth showing. Like some kind of psychotic cannibal.
  • edited May 2006
    I personally think the game will suck because there was too much green in the trailer. Come on guys, green! WTF? There is like hardly any green in the first game or the comics and tv show. I think you should just copy the first game. Don't do anything with it, just change to logo to Telltale Games instead of lucasarts.

But don't you see, they're trying to make a brand new game? You can't reference the comics and the first game the whole time. Read the previous posts and you'll see what I mean. It's time to think of the old game as good memories and hope for something new, fresh and different. Come on guy.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    But don't you see, they're trying to make a brand new game? You can't reference the comics and the first game the whole time. Read the previous posts and you'll see what I mean. It's time to think of the old game as good memories and hope for something new, fresh and different. Come on guy.

Did you read the rest of the post? He was joking. :))
  • edited May 2006
    So was I. Maybe you were too. *SIGH* My humour falls on deaf ears.
  • edited May 2006
    Yeah I must say the animation quality was pretty damn good. There are little nuances that make the characters feel more alive. Max hand surfing is a perfect example. I hope we get to see lots of random incidental animation in the final product.
  • edited May 2006
    Ya, that hand surfing was cool :D
  • edited May 2006
    So was I. Maybe you were too. *SIGH* My humour falls on deaf ears.

And now you can see why I have to go out of my way to show sarcasm. It's all manner of hard to appear sarcastic when you're relying on whats being said as opposed to how it's being said. And once you know the truth, you know what to do!
  • edited May 2006
    My favorite animations in the trailer are when Max "surfs" with his hand outside the car window (that might be the same part you were talking about), and when he looks at his fingers and wiggles them when they're standing in the dark. I also like the episodic Max that looks like he's swimming.

When I watched the trailer again, I thought that was cool too, I found it funny too :)) .
Sign in to comment in this discussion.