Batman: Sins of the Father #1 Discussion

So the first issue is finally out (digitally at least)! What did you think of it?

For those unaware this is a six issue comic series taking place between season 1 and 2 of the Telltale’s Batman.

Right now it’s pretty much just set up so there isn’t really much to go on but for the most part the art is actually quite good, especially the scenes with Batman which are really well drawn. The set up looks interesting so far with Bruce dealing with the fallout of the first game and all.

I don’t really have any big problems with the issue but a lot of small ones with a lot of these maybe bordering on nitpicking. Bruce Wayne honestly does not look great in this. His face is so unnecessarily detailed that it makes him look about Alfred’s age. It’s especially jarring when another character is introduced that looks absolutely flawless. In fact, a bunch of the men’s faces are overly detailed aside from a few that actually look pretty good. Most of the women don’t have this problem which makes them feel a bit out of place, almost like they were drawn by different people. There’s a few other issues I have, mostly continuity stuff, such as Batman not having the same gadget designs as either games (his smoke bomb is a batarang) and the Batcave looks completely different and has a giant penny as well as a Batplane. He also drops a pile of cars onto a group of mobsters with an explosion and somehow doesn’t kill or seriously injure any of them.

Overall I think the first issue is pretty alright. Like I said the art is pretty good for the most part and the set up so far is interesting.

Comments

• "He also drops a pile of cars onto a group of mobsters with an explosion and somehow doesn’t kill or seriously injure any of them."

That reminded me of this:

"No... One more punch would kill you, and I won't kill you." ?

• Could someone post a link or something?

• Whoa the art is beyond dreadful, characters look freaking HORRIBLE.
    Like what the hell is this monstrosity.

• edited February 2018

I'm not a fan of the artstyle. Outside of Alfred (and arguably Regina) no one looks like how they did in the game, which I understand artists own styles but I feel like some of the original source materials style could have been implemented. Going from interviews the game seems to be an afterthought that the writer is just using to get readers attention more than anything. Maybe this will change with future issues, but as of now this could be some random batman story they slapped telltales name on. (besides the big forced exposition dump in the last like 2 pages pff).

• I just bought the comic today and it looks cool! I liked it but some of the characters did not resemble their videogame counter parts like Batman, his mouth area looks like he is forty years old. Gordon and Alfred looked like their videogame versions but I liked the artwork it was really cool to see how TellTale's Batman transitioned into a comic story. I think Bruce looks older because of the stress he has suffered in the first season but they should have Alfred say "sir this stress seems to taken a toll on you" although I think he does say something like this in the final episode of the first season. Does anyone know how long this comic series is supposed to be, like how many total issues are their going to be for this comic? I think that the girl who is trying to sue Bruce would be Penguin's girlfriend because she is suing both Wayne Enterprises and Bruce Wayne. I don't think its possible to sue Bruce but maybe Wayne Enterprises. Anyway really looking forward to the next issues!!!

• It's supposed to be 6 issues total. The 2nd issue came out today digitally.

I just bought the comic today and it looks cool! I liked it but some of the characters did not resemble their videogame counter parts like B

• edited February 2018

Do they release every two weeks or something?

• It's monthly on paperback but it seems to be bi-weekly on digital. Issue two just came out.

Do they release every two weeks or something?

• Alright cool thank you for the info really appreciate it. I liked the comic and can't wait to see how Batman faces of against Deadshot.

lupinb0y posted: »

It's monthly on paperback but it seems to be bi-weekly on digital. Issue two just came out.

• I like the new comic, I think it is interesting how they focusing on the aftermath of discovering what Thomas did to the Arkham Patients and the GCPD's views on Batman. My favourite part was what Batman said about Deadshot "He is a Dead Shot".

• edited February 2018

"I don't recognize him,but he's a Dead Shot". Yeah loved that part.I'm glad we get to see Deadshot i can't wait to see what's gonna happen next.

Arrow-Rand posted: »

I like the new comic, I think it is interesting how they focusing on the aftermath of discovering what Thomas did to the Arkham Patients and the GCPD's views on Batman. My favourite part was what Batman said about Deadshot "He is a Dead Shot".

• It's kinda funny that he said that even though he missed Bruce Wayne a bunch of times. I wonder how this comic is going to tie in with the game? I mean there are characters in this comic that wasn't even mentioned in the game yet. I can see why some people might think that Bruce will face off against the suicide squad or perhaps Joker, Harley, and Deadshot next Season.

iFoRias posted: »

"I don't recognize him,but he's a Dead Shot". Yeah loved that part.I'm glad we get to see Deadshot i can't wait to see what's gonna happen next.

• For some reason the grapple gun looks more arkham-ish.

I just bought the comic today and it looks cool! I liked it but some of the characters did not resemble their videogame counter parts like B

• When's issue 3?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.