Story/plot inconsistency with Harley's notebook in S2 EP3

I'm not sure if it's me who wasn't paying attention or the story writers... but I was quite baffled when I watched what I would call a HUGE inconsistency in the story. I'm curious if it's just me who's forgetting things or mixing them up, or if it's really a fault in the plot.

So in my current game, Bruce is besties with John Doe, and Batman has been "cool" with him on the rooftop and in the alley. But as the player, I don't trust John Doe, and I have no interest in giving up the Identity secret (SPOILER: Bruce = Batman) to him. I don't know if it's a choice at any point, but I never consciously told John Doe that Bruce is Batman.

So theoretically, John Doe should not be comfortable with the fact that Bruce is Batman. At least he shouldn't be so around Bruce or Batman. Or at least Bruce should notice that he is.

Here's the thing: I let John Doe give Harley's notebook to Batman. Not Bruce. John Doe and Batman meet in the alley, the whole scholar thing with the batarang goes down, John Doe gives the notebook to Batman. Not Bruce.

Yet when John Doe interrogates Bruce later, John is quite comfortable with stating that he did Bruce the favour of getting Bruce Harley's notebook. When he didn't. He got Batman the notebook. Not Bruce.

I noticed that John Doe made the occasional insinuation by using ambivalent words, like using the word "bat" when referring to the clubbing device. But theoretically, I never told him, means he shouldn't know. And if he says "I gave you the notebook" to Bruce, when Bruce (as Bruce) never got the notebook from John (since he gave it to Batman), then at least Bruce should notice.

So what am I missing?

Comments

• You're not missing anything, is a plot hole, because for some reason they thought nobody would be so "evil" as to let Selina get caught by Gordon.

If you want to learn more about Season 2 Plot holes contact @Poogers555

• Tis I brother Poogers, master of "plot holes"

Amen, and peace to you, brother.

Kaelthas posted: »

You're not missing anything, is a plot hole, because for some reason they thought nobody would be so "evil" as to let Selina get caught by Gordon. If you want to learn more about Season 2 Plot holes contact @Poogers555

• You should play episode 4 I guess, if you havent already, I will say the laptop (not notebook) thing is kinda not that well done where everything kinda felt opposite of what was suppose to happen. But ep 4 does kinda explain it.

• I played EP4 after posting, and that put the train back on the tracks again, but stil... huge oversight IMO.

There were other inconsistencies I noticed, like comments and scenes that I guess shouldn't have happened after I got some agents killed on the ship, but the one with the identity was by far the most confusing of them all.

Also a bit far fetched that a highly explosive rocket hitting a ship directly in the deck wouldn't sink it, but lots of explosive rockets hitting water far away and (why ever) exploding would do more damage than that. Or that Bane would be so damn tough, and yet it's enough to throw him into a glass wall to make him pass out for hours, or that his iced arm wouldn't shatter when doing that... oh well.

All in all, it's a decent game. But some things just leave me wondering.

• edited February 2018

I think the problem here is that you seem to be nitpicking at something that really shouldn't be. This is a video game adaptation of a comic book character, so you shouldn't be expecting any serious form of realism, as in "why did throwing Bane into the glass knock him out for hours" kinda thing. While Telltale's Batman universe is more grounded than most Batman stories, you must still learn to just accept certain aspects of the game and roll with it.

mnulkunt posted: »

I played EP4 after posting, and that put the train back on the tracks again, but stil... huge oversight IMO. There were other inconsisten

• Still that whole scenario in Harley's office made Bruce look like an idiot. I was looking for a dialogue option along the lines of "what did you do with the laptop?"

Putinovich posted: »

I think the problem here is that you seem to be nitpicking at something that really shouldn't be. This is a video game adaptation of a comic

• Bane got knocked out pretty easily because the Venom he injected in that scene had just flushed out of him and he feels weak after coming down from Venom as shown in Episode 2. Batman used that to his advantage. Bane probably would have injected himself again if Batman hadn't used Freeze's glove to freeze Bane's arm.

mnulkunt posted: »

I played EP4 after posting, and that put the train back on the tracks again, but stil... huge oversight IMO. There were other inconsisten

Sign in to comment in this discussion.