Why Batman can't tell Gordon his true identity?

Like, really, we can tell that to Tiffany and seemingly nothing bad happens beacuse of it, and Gordon is one of the closest friends to Batman. Why is Alfred saying that ,,he ( Gordon ) can't know"? Is it beacuse our Commisioner is so devoted to his job that he would feel obliged to jail Bruce for vigilantism? Or it's just beacuse both Bruce and Alfred are afraid of what Gordon would do, even if it clearly ,,poisons" the relations with him?

Comments

• Because almost everyone in S2 knows Bruce is Batman and someone has to still not know I guess lmao

• edited March 2018

Never trust a man with a moustache.

- From a man with a moustache.

• Gordon pretty much stated in Episode 2 if you tell him Waller knows your secret that he doesn't want to know. Who Batman is isn't as important as what he does for Gotham for him, and it's one less thing the criminals can use against him. But in most incarnations of Batman there's a strong suspicion that Gordon figured it out long ago and keeps it to himself.

• It would make things a lot harder than they already are for Gordon. If Batman crossed a line by breaking an important law during his acts as a vigilante, or the people from Gotham forced the police to demand responsability from Batman, it wouldn't be easy or ethical for him to ignore that situation when he knows perfectly the identity of the man.

You can't compare that to tell it to someone like Tiffany, who doesn't have any responsability with the authorities.

• Come oooon.
    It's just Joker,Waller,Avesta,Catwoman,Alfred and detreminatally Tiffany.

Poogers555 posted: »

Because almost everyone in S2 knows Bruce is Batman and someone has to still not know I guess lmao

• Also lady Arkham(as an option) and, eventually, all Pact members, if they aren't idiots.

Dan10 posted: »

Come oooon. It's just Joker,Waller,Avesta,Catwoman,Alfred and detreminatally Tiffany.

• Lady Arkham is ded

Tiefling posted: »

Also lady Arkham(as an option) and, eventually, all Pact members, if they aren't idiots.

• They never found her body so we'll never know i guess.

Lady Arkham is ded

• No. She's in the Court of Owls, planning her revenge with the help of her criminal accomplice Regina. She asked Regina to steal all briefcases from Bruce Wayne in case in one of them is something of importance.

Lady Arkham is ded

• Sounds pretty reasonable, thank you!

DOBLEDEDO posted: »

It would make things a lot harder than they already are for Gordon. If Batman crossed a line by breaking an important law during his acts as

• Pretty much what DOBLEDEDO has stated. It's easy to forget that Batman regularly breaks laws with the work that he does. Knowing his identity, Gordon would have to book him on charges or live knowing he's just another corrupt officer looking the other way.

• No just no
    Concrete roof fell on her.
    She's not going to Superman her way out of concrete.

iFoRias posted: »

They never found her body so we'll never know i guess.

• edited March 2018

lol we're talking about Telltale if they want to bring her back they'll bring her back.but she's probably dead.

No just no Concrete roof fell on her. She's not going to Superman her way out of concrete.

• Would be rubbish if she comes back

iFoRias posted: »

lol we're talking about Telltale if they want to bring her back they'll bring her back.but she's probably dead.

• But what about a Cat with a moustache?

This Selina joke sounded better in my head.

Johro posted: »

Never trust a man with a moustache. - From a man with a moustache.

• There's nothing wrong with a little hair.

But what about a Cat with a moustache? (Spoiler)

• Well I think the main issue in Telltales Batman, especially S2, is there is so many situations where telling Gordon makes a lot of sense, but then the game has Alfred yelling at us that "HE CAN NOT KNOW NO MATTER WHAT!"

I mean even if Gordon said he doesnt want to know, it should be up to the player, considering there was like I said, so many times when telling him would have been smarter.

Gordon pretty much stated in Episode 2 if you tell him Waller knows your secret that he doesn't want to know. Who Batman is isn't as importa

• edited March 2018

Yeah, that's a small issue I've had. I think they planned to have this season's choices be pretty tense on who you'll be telling your secret to (and it maybe would have been saved until later), but there must have been a few changes last minute in other episodes (Avesta being the one who figured it out first, Tiffany being popular among players who wanted another Lucius, etc..) I think it's just awkward since that's the one person who he's been averse to, and the one person who we haven't had the chance to tell. Heck, I would have told him first! Alfred doesn't mention his distrust of Avesta, or Waller, or anyone else who knows his identity. I think some consistency would have helped here.
    That Alfred line came too early for the rest of the season.

Hey, maybe that could be our "Beat that man half to death" line of the season!

Poogers555 posted: »

Well I think the main issue in Telltales Batman, especially S2, is there is so many situations where telling Gordon makes a lot of sense, bu

• Gordon's Bible is the law. If he knows Bruce is Batman then he will have no other choice other than to bring him in.
    There is a rather high probability that he figured it out by now. Waller protecting Bruce, Batman being forced to work with Waller, it's just too much coincidence.

• Wow, I think I ship this Mustache Cat with Eyelashes Owl now.

But what about a Cat with a moustache? (Spoiler)

• edited March 2018

Because Gordon does not care. Example one: I think it was during No Man's Land storyline in the comics. Batman decides to reveal his identity to Gordon and takes off his mask, but Gordon looks away from him. He does not care and does not need to know his identity. I kind of want something lile that to happen in the game, if we try to reveal ourself to him.
    Example two: batman year one. Batman has to help Gordon save his newborn son from mobsters who want to kidnap him, but it is daytime, so he goes without his costume. Gordon battles the mobsters on the bridge and looses his glasses and the baby falls down, Bruce arrives just in time and jumps after the baby. After that he hands him over to Gordon. Gordon CLEARLY sees that it is Bruce Wayne and he understands that it is Batman who saved his son. But he says: "You know, I am practically blind without my glasses. You better go". Thatt is the story he is going to tell the police and that is how he is going to treat their relationships from now on.
    Hell, even in Animated Series there is an episode that circles around Barbara and her fear of dying without telling her father that she is Batgirl. At the end of the episode she finds courage and tries to tell him, but he stops her midsentence and says something like "You are free to make your own choices" and then winks at her. I mean if Gordon knows his daughter is Batgirls, I would assume he knows all secret identities of the Bat family.
    Even more, even in season one, if you go to talk to Harvey as Bruce in episode 4, you are saved in the Crime Alley by Gordon. He is frustrated that Dent does horrible things abusing the system. One of the dialogue choices allows Bruce to say: "Then let someone outside the system handle him. Someone like Batman". Gordon seemes surprised for a second and then says: "I am going to pretend I did not hear that. But noted". I think he knew who Batman is even in season one. But for the plot, he forgot about it in season two, so that he could target Bruce Wayne. To be honest I am dissapointed with how they handled Gordon. Part of their dinamic is that he clearly knows who Batman is, but does not care. Shame they do not have that.

• I don´t think that line in season one means that. He is a police officer and Batman is a vigilante who breaks the law, that´s why he reacts that way when you suggest that Dent should be dealt with by breaking the rules.

I agree that he should end up knowing who he is, and I also thought of a moment like the first example happening in this season. But we are still in Batman´s first years of activity, so I think is reasonable that Jim hasn´t figured out yet who Bruce really is.

0v3rp0w3r posted: »

Because Gordon does not care. Example one: I think it was during No Man's Land storyline in the comics. Batman decides to reveal his identit

• edited March 2018

Think about the risk. Telling Gordon Batman's identity allows him to open a floodgate and tell the world whenever he wants. And given that some of us will be teaming up with John Doe in Episode 5, a man who will "turn our allies against" us, it's likely that Gordon have a change of heart soon. The less people know Batman's identity (unless he NEEDS to bring them into the fold), the better.

• I think a part of why Jim is in continued denial about the entire situation has less to do with knowing who Batman is, as much as who Jim Gordon is. At his age, Jim believes he knows himself pretty damn well. Some might even argue he's a man set in his ways. A large portion of himself, he defines by his career. He's a good cop, and corrupt cops who are on the take, abuse the system, or skirt the law disgust him.

This is why regardless of how you treat the Commissioner, he's occasionally an ass to Batman. It's not about Batman or Bruce Wayne. It's coming to accept that Jim Gordon is not the man he thought he was. Every time he assists Batman, gives him a lead, or leans on him for help -- he's aiding a vigilante who's assaulting the suspects, trampling crime scenes, removing evidence, and if any prosecutor had the slightest idea of how many violations there were every criminal arrested with Batman's assistance would walk. Not only that, but most could sue the department and be awarded damages.

It's a part of admitting the system he loves, defends, and believes in is ultimately broken and ineffectual. When he says it doesn't matter who Batman is because Batman is a symbol, it's admitting that a part of him is Batman. He just hasn't decided if he can live with where that leaves him yet. If he's determined to stand behind the good cop persona, then if Batman's identity is revealed, he should bring Bruce Wayne in on charges, and accordingly turn himself in as an accomplice. There's always a chance however that Gordon might accept his place in the grey.

• That's an interesting opinion.

Poptarts posted: »

I think a part of why Jim is in continued denial about the entire situation has less to do with knowing who Batman is, as much as who Jim Go

• That's actually a really good theory on why Gordon doesn't want to know.

Poptarts posted: »

I think a part of why Jim is in continued denial about the entire situation has less to do with knowing who Batman is, as much as who Jim Go

• I do feel like it should be Bruce's choice to tell. Realistically, he's probably thought out why it might be better not to without Alfred going "no" at every turn, but it might be better to have the law on our side, especially when Bruce picks what would be more favorable to Gordon at each choice-based point. At the very least, since there's mutual trust between Gordon and Batman/Bruce, Gordon could ask his superiors to lighten Bruce's sentence (which he could easily either pay his way out of or have the story just conveniently break him out).

• Well as much as people love Gordon he is little more than a coworker to Batman. That is their relationship wheras Tiffany is almost like family.

Plus Gordon hates my Batman so damn much that it'd be suicide to tell him. XD

• I think that Gordon honestly doesn't care about Batman's true identity. Not in the comics, not in the movies, shows or even in the game. This is shown in the roof top scene with him and Waller when we have the choice to tell Gordon that Waller knows who we are and he responds: "Well... So do I... You're Batman, that's all you ever have to be, that's all Gotham needs you to be". SPOILERS FROM THE EPISODE 5 TRAILERS AHEAD

But I think that he is going to die in Episode 5 anyway. In the Vigilante trailer he is shown laying down on the floor, and in the Villain trailer it is clear that he has made some kind of deal with The Joker, and that may get him killed. To sum up, even if he survives, and there's a third season, he won't want to hear who we are because the bottom line is that Batman is helping Gotham in ways the GCPD can't and by bringing him in he is basically pulling the trigger on Gotham's death.

• I suppose that could be a TaleTell Twist for Season 3 if they have one. Tiffany as Batgirl/Oracle. Barbara as the new Commissioner Gordon.

• I agree that it has a little to do with the fact that if Gordon knew his identity his moral code would be to take him in but it isn't the full reason. I mean regardless of if he is wearing the suit or not Batman is still a vigilante and still breaking the law this being Gordon's only pass on law breaking because he said it himself in S2 Gotham needs Batman the symbolism of true justice without going beyond the line of being judge and jury. There are definitely alot of moments when telling him the truth seemed smarter or just easier on the conscious but I think telltale just didn't want to make it that easy. The game is meant to test and expose the age old question and battle of ourselves (specially in the case of males in my opinion) on the duality of man. This is another reason that you yourself in the game are the one who created the joker(albeit with the help of harleen). Joker and Batman are polar opposites two side of the same crazy coin a true testament to the daulity of man figurtisim and symbolism of their rivalry. I do like the twist theory of Tiffany becoming the Oracle and Barbra becoming commissioner! Kinda makes more sense and for a more interesting and invested story.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.