Your downloader needs a serious update

No offense but the TTG downloader in game needs a massive update. I have been trying to download the newest episode several times now and I have always run into problems:

1. I was nearly done (about 5,5 GB) when the game told me that the download had timed out. Of course none of the downloaded files were saved so I had to start again.
  2. Started downloading again, the game froze and crashed about 6 times until I finally got it downloading again.
  3. Game started downloading, downloaded for 10 minutes and then froze and crashed again.

Seriously... is that the best you can do? Why is there no option to simply download the episode files via a downloader or download them from here and then simply open the game and have it install them?

So now I'm trying again to download the episode. It will be my seventh attempt. This is getting ridiculous. The only reason I bought it from TT is to get the game faster, even if it is just a couple of hours. At this rate however I will still be sitting around tomorrow. Downloading via Steam or GOG is far faster and easier and I don't get why it's such a huge problem for TT to implement a better system.

Comments

• So I have been trying to download this Episode for god knows how long and now the download won't even start... seriously???

• This is happening to me as well. Perhaps we should wait for an hour, as it is a bit too early compared to the other episodes' release time

• Sure it's early but Steam doesn't run into these problems either. If you offer the game this way then you should make sure your servers actually hold up. This is annoying as hell and has been an issue forever.

• Same here.

Let the finale of "The Wait For Cookies" begin. :-)

• Telltalte Support is swell. Their advice? Delete the whole Batman folder, meaning that if I wanted to replay any of the other episodes I would have download 3 times 5 GB again, plus I would have to fiddle around with my savegames to try and get them back in order etc. So I'm supposed to be the Technical Department now? Jesus.

I mean back in the day when games were 500 MB and installation took an hour the advise "well how about deleting it and re-installing it" was ridiculous and annoying. Nowadays? With games of 50 and 60GB and even this game with 5 GB per episode? That's just insane.

Btw. another interesting thing I discovered that I didn't really realize. How is it, that I install the game to one drive, yet all the massive files (nearly 20 GB for the whole game) get dumped on my system drive just because Documents happens to be there? I actually chose the other HD for a reason, so it wouldn't clutter up my system drive.

MRG101 posted: »

Same here. Let the finale of "The Wait For Cookies" begin. :-)

• Okay for anybody who might have a similar issue:

Apparently the Telltale Downloader doesn't recognise halfway finished downloads once the download times out or the game crashes. However it does recognise the files in of that halfway finished installation in the folder and thus prevents a further download. I have no idea why that is (my guess? maybe the server asks for where the installation stands and which packages need to be send, since the last package was fucked because of the time out or whatever your game doesn't know what to ask for for so basically the server is saying "What do you want?" and your game goes "Dunno. What do I need?" and then the server goes "Dunno. What do you want?" and so on on a loop. The game apparently doesn't delete aborted download sessions or checks the files for problems and then reuses them. Either you download within a whole session or it's done.

Long story short. Telltale will tell you to delete the whole folder including your savegames and all downloaded episodes. What you need to do however is this:

1. Go to C:\User\Documents\Telltale\xxx (the game we are talking about, whatever it may be)
    2. Open the Net folder. The Net folder contains all those packages that make up the episodes. Since the episodes only drop every 3 months it's nice and clean to filter. So you filter out the files that were downloaded the day the episode dropped by date and then you delete them.
    3. Done. Normal downloading should resume, you still have all your saves and you still have the episode data in case you want to replay all 5 episodes in one go.

Now I no idea why Telltale support wasn't able to tell me that. I have no idea why, in a modern world, your downloader would be so basic and bad to actually get stuck in a loop because you had a faulty download session. No clue. It's easily fixable and for my money... they would use an external tool so I don't need to keep the game running to download the episode. Since there is no protection like Denuvo on this game, I personally would simply go the route of a Peer2Peer network. It saves them server capacity and is reliable.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.