Should Telltale aim to always now have 'Two Paths' final episodes like Batman?

edited March 2018 in General Chat

I personally think the handling of Telltale's Batman has been excellent, and it was really good of them to create two completely separate threads with virtually no connection with the two takes on Joker in the final episode of Season 2. So I've been thinking, now we can see it is possible, should this be something they should try to do in all future seasons, at least assuming it suits the situation? I think having two or even three setups for the conclusion to Clem's story in Walking Dead would be awesome, especially since it is the final season. WAU Season 2 would be more debatable since it's still a prequel to Fables, but possibly other seasons or IP's could benefit from the same concept. What do you guys and gals think?

Comments

• I think it all depends on how the story is written. I could see in some cases it not working well.

• I'm in the "if it fits" camp.

I don't even need it to be every finale.
    It could be for a premiere or a mid-season thing. Say, one choice leads you down two different side-stories for an episode, but then they regroup for the main plot to continue. Players experience two different stories of one world, while not losing anything from the main plot.
    If Telltale can do it, and it fits the circumstances, then sure.

• So kind of like a more expanded version of the Penguin/Two-Face choice from Season One of Batman, or the Ellegard/Magnus choice in Minecraft Story Mode? That could work well if it suits, and assuming things in those two situations impacted the rest of the game to some extent.

AChicken posted: »

I'm in the "if it fits" camp. I don't even need it to be every finale. It could be for a premiere or a mid-season thing. Say, one choic

• I agree with freelance, it should depend on the story. The Enemy Within focused on relationships so characters should be acting differently and affect the course of the story. Although since they pretty much did this with Guardians of the Galaxy as well, I can see them trying to push more and more branching in the future but it may cost us sequels.

• This is actually a perspective I've been thinking about... about what if Telltale announces a season of something new and immediately says upfront that it would be a standalone game with no sequel, BUT that it will allow them to create outcomes and choices which lead to a much greater range of conclusions. I think it is something which Telltale should consider trying, if only as an experiment with something they wouldn't want to expand into so many seasons.

prink34320 posted: »

I agree with freelance, it should depend on the story. The Enemy Within focused on relationships so characters should be acting differently

• What worked in S2 was that they were innovative.
    They don't need to do the same formula, just to keep being as innovative as they were for the finale.

• Yes, absolutely. Makes for far more enjoyable episode with more replayability and really makes the story feel your own, I do really like the idea you mentioned that TWD Season Four could have something like this and since it's the final season, you can flat-out have any ending be your preferred one. Do also agree with your TWAU point for the most part but I think there might be a tiny bit of room for leeway if it doesn't directly impact the comic series.

• Yeah definitely, telltale writers are probably reading requests like this thinking to themselves “shit” but they should do it anyway due to how people loved how it was done :p

• I agree TellTale should always allow multiple paths to get to the same ending even if some variables are different.

• I would like to see multiple-path seasons!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.