God of War Official Discussion Thread

edited April 2018 in General Chat

The official thread to talk about anything related to the God of War series.

NO SPOILERS

God of War (2018): Many years have passed since Kratos took his vengeance against the Olympian gods. Having survived his final encounter with his father Zeus, Kratos now lives with his young son Atreus in the world of the Norse gods, a savage land inhabited by many ferocious monsters and warriors. In order to teach his son how to survive in such a world, Kratos must master the rage that has driven him for many years and embrace his newfound role as a father and mentor. Kratos must also contend with the Norse gods themselves as they are taking precautions against him, due to them being aware of his role in the destruction of Olympus. Over the course of their time together, Atreus learns more about his father's complicated and shady past, while struggling with whether to be like his father or choose to be his own person.

Available April 20th

E3 trailer

Story trailer

Be a Warrior trailer

The Journey of Kratos

Full TV Commercial

Tagged:

Comments

• Oh I’m so HYPED!!!!! and I’ve never even played a god of war game

But this and kingdom hearts 3 are my most anticipated games of this year

BUT I have to work til 2 tomorrow so I’ll be getting it then

• Message from the development team of God of War.

• I am so surprised this game got a lot of 10/10 reviews. I was actually expecting it to be just a good game like the previous ones.

I played GOW 1 and 2. Also played 3 but never finished it. I hated playing as Kratos because he is such a heartless motherfucker who doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself, he killed a lot of innocent people who had nothing to do with his shenanigans in cold blood, his motivation is retarded. I'm not even gonna bother to play 3 because it's just the same game as the first two ones.

However, seeing this game getting a different direction and focusing on the story and PC, I might give it a shot after finishing high school.

• I have only played one God of War game, but I have watched walkthroughs of all of them. I will say that I greatly approve the direction that God of War (2018) is going. I have watch the playthroughs of that game and without spoiling, I greatly love what they did with Kratos. He is in my opinion a far more interesting character now. He has a lot more layers and his interaction with his son are genuinely heartwarming.

• I completed the journey.

The adventure was amazing, the boss fights were hectic, and you really gotta admire Kratos' words of wisdom. One of my favorite parts was when Kratos reclaimed the Blades of Chaos. I didn't think I'd get to use them again in this game. But oh man, cutting enemies down to size with the blades the first time was epic. The dwarfs and Mimir crack me up. When I finally reached the highest peak in all the realms and Kratos and Atreus spread Faye's ashes out together, that moment, along with the music that was playing, was so beautiful. :') Part of me was expecting to see Faye's ghost, but it didn't happen. I ain't complaining though.

This game was so awesome from start to finish. One of the best I have played in 2018.

• Everything was amazing. Story, gameplay, graphics... I loved it. It had one problem however (for me at least).

The lack of boss fights (those on the scale of Cronos from GoW 3) was really disappointing. We only had 2 or 3 real boss fights. Rest was just reskinned trolls. Previous God of War entries were known for the variety of different enemies. I hope the sequel will have more bosses (like the dragon for example) now that the engine and all that has been sorted out - as long as it fits the story obviously. Other than that I really loved this game. Truly a masterpiece.

I completed the journey. (Spoiler) This game was so awesome from start to finish. One of the best I have played in 2018.

• edited April 2018

It’s nothing more but a jack of all trades critic bait title. I fail to see how it’s game of the generation when it’s highly derivative of other games years prior.

• It just works a lot better. Obviously its similar to games like Last of Us for example, but everything about this game just works 10 times better. For one they nailed the balance between narrative and gameplay which a lot of these games seem to keep struggling with by focusing on the story and seemingly forgetting they are a game. For example Uncharted 4 had a great story but 75% of that game was story and 25% was the shooting and action of the past Uncharted games. God of War balances the narrative and then combat super well, neither unbalance the other, making a perfect mix.

Next big talking point is probably just the style. It really is one of the best looking games made to date. Also the camera that never cuts is extremely cool and I love how committed they were to it, even the main menu when you boot up the game starts right away from the menu, no loading to start, the second the game is in, the camera already started. Its just incredibly cool and impressive that they managed to make it so you can play this whole game without the camera ever cutting or waiting for a loading screen (unless you die)

J-Master posted: »

It’s nothing more but a jack of all trades critic bait title. I fail to see how it’s game of the generation when it’s highly derivative of other games years prior.

• edited April 2018

The thing is it’s not the only game in existence that managed to blend both gameplay and story seamlessly with both complimenting each other. The combat is Souls lite, the RPG mechanics are bare bones, and the narrative is slow paced because “Oh, I can’t take video games seriously if they’re not cinematic slow moving melancholy stories about fatherhood.”

Whether or not it’s better is strictly personal taste, I’m more annoyed with how most outlets are throwing these accolades at it like it’s nothing anyone has ever played before only for it to be the most safest and less unique video game in existence.

God of War used to be different, feel like a game that had its own identity and stick out from other games now it’s just another “cinematic” jack of all what’s popular at the moment game and the fact that people are giving it “game of the generation” just makes me more weary for what developers think qualifies as a truly unique experience that you don’t get from a film or a book.

Poogers555 posted: »

It just works a lot better. Obviously its similar to games like Last of Us for example, but everything about this game just works 10 times b

• You really are coming across as a bitter hater right now my dude.

The thing is it’s not the only game in existence that managed to blend both gameplay and story seamlessly with both complimenting each other

• God of War (PS4) does not change the industry or define a generation, it’s just more of what we’ve been getting for the past couple of years in a blender and lacks its own voice.

If you’ve played The Last of Us and Dark Souls, you’ve played God of War on PS4. There is absolutely nothing unique about this game regarding it’s presentation and gameplay mechanics.

It’s just overhyped hyperbolic critic bait and that’s very much the truth from where I’m standing.

But hey, don’t come crying to me if you start getting bored of the Sony cinematic universe where every single game is a slow cinematic over the shoulder third person camera game with dumbed down gameplay mechanics borrowed from other games.

You really are coming across as a bitter hater right now my dude.

• Well now my question is have you played the game or watched a full walk through?

God of War (PS4) does not change the industry or define a generation, it’s just more of what we’ve been getting for the past couple of years

• I have watched an extensive walkthrough and already know how the story plays out along with the gameplay mechanics and the game hasn’t really earned its game of the generation critic bait award.

It’s not unique and far from being the one game that puts other video games to shame like these outlets have been babbling about. It’s mediocre and derivative game design at its finest.

• So Im just confused with what you're issue is with the game. Is it because it has a greater focus on narrative and characters? Did you not enjoy that? Do you not like the gameplay? The combat and the exploration? I saw you compare the gameplay to Dark Souls, not sure why seeing it doesnt feel like playing Dark Souls at all, only really comparison I can see is that its a third-person action game where you fight creatures with a medieval weapon.

Sounds like you dont like the game because other people like it. Its not like critics are saying its amazing, and ordinary consumers are saying it sucks. Both are saying its amazing so Im not sure what point you're even trying to make. Everyone loves it and is saying they want to see more lengthy single player games that have a good narrative and fun gameplay. Just because it is similar to a game like The Last of Us in terms of narrative does not mean its the same at all. I hardly see a strong narrative game about the zombie apocalypse and another being about Norse gods being the same.

So now my question is, what would you rather have God of War 2018 be, if not if what it was?

I have watched an extensive walkthrough and already know how the story plays out along with the gameplay mechanics and the game hasn’t reall

• So then you didn’t play the game, only watched it

There’s a difference you know

I have watched an extensive walkthrough and already know how the story plays out along with the gameplay mechanics and the game hasn’t reall

• People just love to hate on things that are popular

You really are coming across as a bitter hater right now my dude.

• edited April 2018

Everyone is treating it like it’s a revolutionary video game that can’t be topped and changes how video games should be made. I find that to be overblown hyperbole especially when there are video games that don’t just imitate what’s popular on the market and have their own identity. I just think this is possibly going to make a decent amount of AAA games feel incredibly samey as time goes on if people keep treating this as if it’s omnipotent game design.

So Im just confused with what you're issue is with the game. Is it because it has a greater focus on narrative and characters? Did you not e

• People just love to play the same games over and over again. ;)

Umbassabro posted: »

People just love to hate on things that are popular

• Not sure what you're reading, but almost everything I read about it is just people saying that it was an incredible game and they hope there is more like it in the future not, "THIS IS HOW GAMES SHOULD BE FOREVER NOW."

Again, you are acting like just because a game focuses on narrative that means its just copying other games and not being original. So what should games do then? Just do no narrative and then everyone starts making games with no narrative and then everyone is upset theres games with no narratives? Not to mention again another praise for God of War for what it did right and differently was unlike these other narrative focused games, it is still filled with tons of gameplay, so it doesnt just feel like some movie, it does indeed feel like a game, thus making a positive step forward.

Everyone is treating it like it’s a revolutionary video game that can’t be topped and changes how video games should be made. I find that to

• edited April 2018

And that’s why I mainly play on ps4, cause we get such a diverse lineup of exclusive titles.

People just love to play the same games over and over again.

• edited April 2018

I guess I understand how he sees it -- from a bystander standpoint.
    From what I've seen from trailers and a bit of gameplay, the narrative looks similar to the Last of Us (hardened guy teaches and protects young naive child in a harrowing world) and the gameplay looks kind of similar. You fight, and it's pretty good looking and brutal.

But, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I've heard the gameplay is a lot more than simple button mashing with an axe and there's a lot of interesting tactics you can use. They also say the story is really good and I haven't heard of any super-similarities to the Last of Us. It just looks that way at first to the uninitiated.
    Will I get it? I'd like to. Haven't played a GoW game in my life and this one is more accessible to new people given the last entry ended the Greek saga I guess. Might not for a while though. I've got others on my radar for the time being.

Not sure what you're reading, but almost everything I read about it is just people saying that it was an incredible game and they hope there

• There’s actually a ton of call backs and references to the trilogy and certain story beats have way more weight if you’ve played the originals. It’s really more of a continuation than a flat out reboot of the franchise.

AChicken posted: »

I guess I understand how he sees it -- from a bystander standpoint. From what I've seen from trailers and a bit of gameplay, the narrative

• I'd rather have single players be as awesome as God of War than see them turn into Battle Royale which is one of the most overrated video game trends.

Everyone is treating it like it’s a revolutionary video game that can’t be topped and changes how video games should be made. I find that to

• edited April 2018

I have watched an extensive walkthrough and already know how the story plays out along with the gameplay mechanics and the game hasn’t really earned its game of the generation critic bait award.

So you're having an opinion without even playing the game, huh? Don't act like watching and playing a video game are the same thing.

I was never interested in Bloodborne because I'm not a huge fan of fantasy games but when I bought it, it defied my expectations and became one of the best games I've played.

• I just finished the campaign. Oh my god so good oh I can’t wait for the sequel. I still have to do favors, visit optional areas, and defeat the valkyries. So much to do.

Oh so freakin good I needed this, I love you Cory Barlog and everyone involved thank you. There isn’t a snowflakes chance in muspelheim of them seeing this but I needed to say it.

• Except God of War plays differently than Last of Us and Dark Souls. Again, you come across as the typical hater of something that is popular and getting alot of praise.

People just love to play the same games over and over again.

• (Off Topic) You should change your name to DoubleRoasted.

Except God of War plays differently than Last of Us and Dark Souls. Again, you come across as the typical hater of something that is popular and getting alot of praise.

• Here's a little Easter egg for all Marvel fans out there.

• Listening to this gave me some thoughts a about the next game.

When The fight between Thor and The World Serpent happens (Picks up again @ 5:41)

When Atreus dies mid-battle and Krato's grieves for him, then Thor stands over him and says there was no way this could've been avoided, and he goes into his True Spartan Rage mode and starts punching Thor so hard that it causes the earth to shatter with each hit. The music picking up again as he is about to to deliver the final blow, to kill a god that reminded him so much of his father.

• Photo Mode has now been added.

• All future PS4 exclusive will have this feature?

Photo Mode has now been added.

• Watchmojo has made their Top 10 moments of this game.

What's yours?

• mostlypoptartsmostlypoptarts ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

Finished this game last weekend - my first time playing anything in the franchise!

Throwing that axe feels so good. I might just load up the game now to throw it at some innocuous stuff.

• edited May 2018

I really wanted to throw the axe at Atreus whenever he back talked Kratos(me) or you know talked in general.

What? we were all thinking it.

Finished this game last weekend - my first time playing anything in the franchise! Throwing that axe feels so good. I might just load up the game now to throw it at some innocuous stuff.

• "BOY! It's Father's Day."

• God Of War PS4's New Game Plus Update Is Now Available. Keep your weapons, abilities, and unlocks for a second playthrough.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.