Valve Buys Firewatch Developer Campo Santo (team with alumni from Telltale's Walking Dead Season 1)

Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
edited April 2018 in General Chat

https://kotaku.com/sources-valve-buys-firewatch-developer-campo-santo-1825445890

Independent studio Campo Santo (Firewatch) has been acquired by a most unlikely suitor—Valve, a digital store operator that once made video games. Three people familiar with the news confirmed the purchase to Kotaku today.

Valve plans to leave Campo Santo intact as a team, a source said, rather than absorbing the studio and re-assigning its employees to other projects. But the independent developers are already enjoying Valve’s perks—we’ve heard that this past week, Campo Santo employees got to attend Valve’s annual retreat to Hawaii. The studio will also relocate to Seattle soon.

I figure this might be interesting for Telltale fans to learn. So, essentially, Jake and Sean went from Telltale to Valve. What an impressive career trajectory! What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Tagged:

Comments

• Firewatch card game incoming

• Hope this doesn't mean Valley of the Gods will be a Steam exclusive or anything.

• Sean Vanaman said over Twitter it's still coming to consoles. Plus, Valve has released several console games in the past, including Orange Box, Portal 2, and CS:GO. So, I wouldn't worry.

Hope this doesn't mean Valley of the Gods will be a Steam exclusive or anything.

• Good, the game already seems like a great follow up to Firewatch with its own style and a great location with Egyptian tombs, plus it has a solid set of black female POV characters, which is a bit of a rarity, so I'm happy it's still coming out on consoles. I'm hopeful they keep in the same well structured and natural conversational system Firewatch had with Henry and Delilah, even though both characters are present.

Sean Vanaman said over Twitter it's still coming to consoles. Plus, Valve has released several console games in the past, including Orange Box, Portal 2, and CS:GO. So, I wouldn't worry.

• edited April 2018

Welp, guess they'll never make it to 3 games. Nothin' after Valley of the Gods. Unfortunate. /s

• edited April 2018

Am I the only person that thinks valve might try to become a serious contender in the console gaming market.
    think about it

-already owns a platform: steam that is valued at billions of dollars

-They already showed interest in making hardware with Steam machine and vive but neither really took off

-stated they want to make and ship games again

-and now acquired a studio which means there serious about making games again

But anyway this sounds like a nice move and I wish both companies the best of luck?

• Cant wait for Valve to start making Campo Santo start making a VR card game and then make them sit around and do nothing smh

• Working at Valve must be a dream job if you want to do as little work as possible... a card game after 5 years? lol please. Kinda shows that the "bossless" society in valve doesn't work they'd all rather spend their time doing skins etc for near decade old games instead of banding together to start new projects.

Poogers555 posted: »

Cant wait for Valve to start making Campo Santo start making a VR card game and then make them sit around and do nothing smh

• So you're saying that the people who made season 1 of the walking dead are going to be working for the people who made the left 4 dead series? This is gonna be good.

• I haven't supported Vanaman since he was a dick to Pewdiepie.

• No Firewatch 3 then?

• Damn they would make l4d3 one hell of a game then....the dreams.........

• Vanaman did kinda mess up there but that doesn’t mean he's a dick, and I’m a pretty big pewdiepie fan myself. He’s an amazing writer and all of the projects he has worked on have turned out amazing. If you’ve seen him on interviews and podcasts you would know he really is a good guy he just screwed up once. We’re all human.

I haven't supported Vanaman since he was a dick to Pewdiepie.

• The whole idea is stupid.

• edited April 2018

@TeamKennyW00T sry

PewDiePie is an arrogant dick himself though.

Vanaman did kinda mess up there but that doesn’t mean he's a dick, and I’m a pretty big pewdiepie fan myself. He’s an amazing writer and all

• I’ve seen lots different perspectives on pewdiepie. People who think he’s a horrible person tend to be the people who just fed of the exaggerated buzz and media and never actually watched any of his content. The reason I personally like pewdiepie is because he’s brutally honest about everything he does, he goes into sensitive subjects head on and doesn’t pussy out and avoid it like basically every other other youtuber. A lot of people find his comedy offensive but ultimately all comedy is subjective.

WalkerHH93 posted: »

@TeamKennyW00T sry PewDiePie is an arrogant dick himself though.

• As an interesting update, Olly Moss (who did the art for Firewatch, but didn't directly work for Campo Santo) is now also recently joining Valve.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.