Why sacrificing Asher for Rodrik to survive?

I know that people has their own opinion and can do any choice they want, but why many people choose Asher's life for Rodrik? Rodrik can be Lord of House Forrester, but his brother didn't came from Essos to die in 5 minutes. He didn't deserved such a gore dead either. Didn't Rodrik had enough scars on his face, or enough wounds on his body, didn't he had enough battles? Is it normal for him to even live after the Battle for Ironrath? I know that the saved brother doesn't die, but he already got beated so much,hell, it's not known if he'll even survive that big whole in his body... What do you think guys?

Comments

• edited May 2018

I do seem to recall that saving Asher was the more popular choice. I’ve seen some say that it’s more fitting for Rodrik to settle the score with the Whitehills since he’s the one that has dealt with them the most.

Whenever the next season or so comes out and the Forresters do participate in the Battle of the Bastards. I have to admit that it would be more interesting to see Rodrik interact and ride into battle with Jon Snow as he did ride with and stuck with Robb Stark. A War of the Five Kings veteran and a Red Wedding survivor. Someone like that would be very appealing in the North.

• I agree that saving Asher was the more popular choice. Also imagine Ramsay's fear when he hears that Rodrik had defeated Ludd in battle or survived the Battle of Ironrath. That would make an encounter between Rodrik and Ramsay so much more satisfying!

I do seem to recall that saving Asher was the more popular choice. I’ve seen some say that it’s more fitting for Rodrik to settle the score

• I don't hate Rodrik, but i'll prefer play as Jon Snow in the Battle of Bastards.

I do seem to recall that saving Asher was the more popular choice. I’ve seen some say that it’s more fitting for Rodrik to settle the score

• It really just comes down to who you like more. The Rodrik or Asher debates were one of the most annoying and unnecessary discussions while waiting for episode 6.

• Fear? I think Ramsay would prefer that. He was pretty interested in Rodrik, especially if he attempts to stab him. He even expresses disappointment if Rodrik dies in episode 5.

I agree that saving Asher was the more popular choice. Also imagine Ramsay's fear when he hears that Rodrik had defeated Ludd in battle or s

• I sacrificed Asher because I felt like his goal in the game was completed. He returned home, he brought help for his family. Whereas Rodrik was in the middle of the feud with Whitehills and he was supposed to defuse the situtaion. He started the whole thing, he took a beating, he survived and rose from ashes. It's his purpose to be a lord, to lead his house into victory. So... it kinda made sense to me.

• It was a really long debate when it happened. But for me Rodrik surviving will always be my canon. He was the most involved with the conflict and was the one who interacted most with his family. It really felt unsatisfying to have his story be cut short. For me, when Season 2 arrive, the Forrester story will be more engaging through the perspective of Rodrik than it might be with Asher.

• It probably won’t mean much but in the Asher path, the Whitehills could launch a smear campaign against the Forresters for breaking guest right.

• Did you forget the Red Wedding? Guest right is dead...the Boltons obviously don't respect it.

It probably won’t mean much but in the Asher path, the Whitehills could launch a smear campaign against the Forresters for breaking guest right.

• Yes, Rodrik was trained to be the lord, he was the intended future of the house....but isn't the recurring theme of Game of Thrones about things not going as planned? Ned Stark was supposed to become Protector of the Realm after Robert's death, instead he was executed. Robb Stark was supposed to be King in the North, instead he was murdered and the most unlikely of the Starks, the bastard Jon Snow, became King.

So in my humble opinion, it seems much more fitting to have Asher, the exiled second son who was not expected to become lord, return from Essos and save his house.

I sacrificed Asher because I felt like his goal in the game was completed. He returned home, he brought help for his family. Whereas Rodrik

• It's my revenge to dickhead George Martin - FINALLY making things go according to plan, hehe. In a game where the plot is under my control, I'd rather stick to my own beliefs and thoughts rather than support the rules of the universe.

Pahn711 posted: »

Yes, Rodrik was trained to be the lord, he was the intended future of the house....but isn't the recurring theme of Game of Thrones about th

• There's good reasons for each.
    Rodrick- Most development and interaction and mostly in the feud. Unkillable machine so far. Resliant SOB.
    Asher:- From Zero to Hero. Just arrived and a lot of story to shed light on(insert more compliments here since I'm about to pass out as I've not eaten in a while).

• edited June 2018

Revenge on the author for making a universe that is unpredictable? Wouldn't make for a very interesting read if things always went according to plan, but I get your point.

Having played episode 6 as both brothers, I found Rodrik's version much more dark and depressing:
    -The pit fighters are hostile to Rodrik's leadership and threaten a mutiny (whereas they willingly follow Asher, participate in the Whitehill ambush, and cheer him on when he becomes Lord of Ironrath)
    -Elisa's reaction to Asher's death is more pronounced, she shrieks and nearly feints, has to be held to avoid hitting the ground (her reaction to Rodrik's death is much more solemn, she is sad, but just nods her head in acceptance when told he sacrificed himself for the others)
    -We also see more reaction from the small folk for Asher's death, with the Sentinel even mentioning that the people were fond of him (this does not happen with Rodrik's death, instead they are happy about Asher's return and cheer his ascension to the lordship along with the soldiers)
    -Asher is decapitated and his head is forced to be carried by Ryon (whereas Rodrik's body is treated with respect for funeral rights)
    -Gwyn says Ludd is scared of Asher (and not Rodrik) because he is more dangerous and unpredictable (I think I remember seeing some of the Telltale developers comparing Asher to Bigby from A Wolf Among Us, yet another reason to like him better IMO)
    -While I agree that Rodrik's scenario to infiltrate the Whitehill camp is pretty awesome, the opportunity to poison Ludd at dinner or form a more lasting alliance between Asher and Gwyn is a very interesting development that could have unique implications in Season 2

So, even though both versions have the same end result, Telltale made Asher's episode 6 more triumphant and upbeat. The Forresters were clearly energized by his return. Were they trying to tell us something? Playing favorites?

It's my revenge to dickhead George Martin - FINALLY making things go according to plan, hehe. In a game where the plot is under my control, I'd rather stick to my own beliefs and thoughts rather than support the rules of the universe.

• Nah. I think Rodrik is making for a better episode 6 PoV. Feeling down and depressed from Game of Thrones is basically the feeling you feel most of the time. I think Rodrik's route is far more satisfying, pointing at beheading a Whitehill. Seldom have I been that satisfied.

Asher's route, in my opinion, is to Red Wedding-esque. I am not saying that is a bad thing, in fact I enjoyed it greatly, but we had already seen it before.

Pahn711 posted: »

Revenge on the author for making a universe that is unpredictable? Wouldn't make for a very interesting read if things always went according

• edited June 2018

If you choose to ambush the Whitehills at dinner instead of poison, or knock the poisoned wine out of Elissa's hand, you get the opportunity to fight and kill Gryff with Asher. Not saying it rises to the level of beheading, but still pretty damn satisfying IMO.

Nah. I think Rodrik is making for a better episode 6 PoV. Feeling down and depressed from Game of Thrones is basically the feeling you feel

• No I do not think that Ramsay would've suspected Rodrik to survive, because he must've known Asher was coming back to Westros. Ludd would've told Roose Bolton about Asher coming. Ramsay also wants Rodrik to go to war with Ludd because he knew that the Forresters did not have the army they needed to win.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Fear? I think Ramsay would prefer that. He was pretty interested in Rodrik, especially if he attempts to stab him. He even expresses disappointment if Rodrik dies in episode 5.

• He didn't want the war because he thought the Forresters would lose. He thought it'd be interesting and decided it better to have one of them rather than both of them.

No I do not think that Ramsay would've suspected Rodrik to survive, because he must've known Asher was coming back to Westros. Ludd would've

• I saved Rodrik mostly due to following the books and show. I thought that having him die would just mirror far too closely with House Stark ( Rob being the eldest son that dies, Rickon was about the same age as Ethan, Mira was more like Sansa, Talia's turning darker is like Arya's arc, and Asher being 'disowned' was like John Snow. ) So, I wanted to switch it up and see what would happen.

• I think this was one of the hardest decisions I had to make in all the telltale games I’ve played.
    Part of me wanted to choose Rodrik seen as he’s been there all that time fighting the whitehills,l and getting rapidly better. Just thought it would be a better ending.
    On the other hand Asher brought all the sell swords and they respect him and followed him. Why would they leave to follow someone they don’t know? Also I felt sorry for Beshka if I killed Asher and I also wanted to see the reunion of Asher and Gwen.
    In the end I played twice and got two different endings so until telltale make season two we can see which is best decision.

• i played the ending 4 times lol. for me, Rodrik beheading Ludd seemed the most satisfying. there is no saving lady forrester and Ryon is safe regardless and bonus points if the only leadership the Whitehills have is a one eye Gryff. the only way Asher kills ludd is by poisoning him and his mom, that' not cool lol when season 2 comes i'll be more happy with Asher/Beskha duo. Gwyn picking you up at the end if you don't follow through was the most surprising ending.

• Also you forgot to mention that Rodrik beheading Ludd makes him the winner of the war since Ramsay said the last house standing wins and Rodrik is House Forrester.

DavidH95 posted: »

i played the ending 4 times lol. for me, Rodrik beheading Ludd seemed the most satisfying. there is no saving lady forrester and Ryon is saf

Sign in to comment in this discussion.