Just started playing, i love it but, here's my crituque.

edited November 2006 in Sam & Max
Ok I just started playing the game, taking it slow and really enjoying myself. This game does rock, it really does but I found some small things that dragged it down a bit, but if fixed would really make this game shine (in my oppinion).

I haven't read the other reviews here yet, I will .. So I'm sorry if I mention something someone else allready adressed.

Here goes :

I felt that that the voice acting for Sam and Max are all right, but not as good as the ones from the old game or the cartoon series.

The speech animations for the character are allright, and i know it must take alot of work, but it cold be improved slightly i felt.

Sam's rantings are not allways as funny as ones in the previous game or cartoon

Every scene looks great, and movng around has a great fluid feel to it, the only thing dragging down the visual quality is the close-ups when the characters speak - the angles are sometimes not as visually appealing and it brakes up the continuiuty of the conversation.
If there were more overview shots (as when you approach the character you are going to talk to or just walking by) it would seem more fluid and would make the dialogue sound better too.
As you don't get the same quality acting when it's recorded the way it is for these types of games. Not that it's bad but you can hear that it's pretty static, no real emotion in the voices and when you constantly cut to a close up of the person talking it get more choppy than it is.

I don't like the way the dialogue choices doesn't really say what the character actually speak. e.g when you talk to the first 'soda bopper' and you say that he messed up his painting. The options only say 'you messed up' and 'you messed up again' while Max says something more elaborate.
I have to make a LucasArts example here, sorry. The thing I loved about the old games like say MI1 is that it's not often i'd exhaust all the dialogue options, but I could allways read all of them and laugh at the jokes even if I didn't select them. I understand that this has to do with space, but it would be 10 times better to make the writing a little smaller and have more of the line of dialoge the character actually speaks.
In Sybils shop when you get out of the dialogue with the 'soda bopper' the options says 'see you later' but it became 'excuse me a moment would ya' when Sam said it. That seemed very unprofessional, and it's to bad that the dialogue should be dragged down by something like that, when there is a great and funny script lying under all this.

Not sure if this is only on my computer but the mouse is extremely sluggish

The mouse cursor disappears outside the screen on the right and left hand side of the screen in both resulutions in the game - (my screen res 1280*800)

the tv comercials and the documentary could use more footage, the documentary on the soda popper only has three pictures each and I felt it lacked something.

Sams head does't look quite right from behind.

When Sam says 'were Freelance Police' I would like to hear from someone at least once 'Freelance ... Police ?!' or similar. Pointing out the complete absurdity of their chosen profession.

The kinetic energy ball thing animation in Sybils office seems to static to me

The music in Sybils 'shop' seems too busy.

In Sybils Office, when im supposed to knock 'Peepers out, it doesn't look as he's running away it looks like he's turning invisble, i apprechiate the exageration of speed but it needs some more motion blur or some streaks to make it more obvious that he's really fast and not turning invisble, it would also make sence with an animaton of sam trying to hit him.

Whoa ... now that I see it all in writing it seems like alot. But it really isn't, i'm beeing overly critical here, but it's just because I love Sam and Max. This is a GREAT game! I Love it. This is just in my oppinion stuff that if addressed would make it even better.

- Marius S. Finnstun

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Jaws wrote: »

I don't like the way the dialogue choices doesn't really say what the character actually speak. e.g when you talk to the first 'soda bopper' and you say that he messed up his painting. The options only say 'you messed up' and 'you messed up again' while Max says something more elaborate.
    I have to make a LucasArts example here, sorry. The thing I loved about the old games like say MI1 is that it's not often i'd exhaust all the dialogue options, but I could allways read all of them and laugh at the jokes even if I didn't select them. I understand that this has to do with space, but it would be 10 times better to make the writing a little smaller and have more of the line of dialoge the character actually speaks.

- Marius S. Finnstun

No No No No!!!!

In Hit The Road..you clicked on a duck or a ? mark you never knew what the joke was before you heard it.. Telltale have kept the same thing here..which is a must!! you dont wanna read sam and max jokes and then select em.. you wanna hear the joke AFTEr you select the dialogue.. Telltale got that spot on!
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, the phase you select is a generalisation of the question.... The outcome is the scripted speech :D

There's alot lacking in the voices that make it seem like it's not really sam and max talking. Although a few lines do, and that's ok. The Music was very jazzed/blues up a bit in every scene, as opposed to music by location like the great big ball of twine music or mount rushmore music, etc. etc.

Also there weren't many scene's in the game. It seemed very short, and very much like an episode, and being a gamer, I'm not very fond of that.

completing sam & max: hit the road for the first time make you feel like you've achieved something. Although this has felt somewhat like a playable demo: Doing a short quest down the road a bit.

I did enjoy the game alot though, I liked most of the puzzles, even though Max would eventually tell you what's happening, where you need to go and who you need to knock out. I thought it was great knocking Specs out with a bowling ball, classic.

The Storyline is a bit crazy and wacky, and the ending was cool. Kept stuck in one place like Bumpus keeping you by the freezer in the first game. Although it was kinda cheesy a little.

The whole ending part went by really quick. You meet Brady and then suddenly you doing one thing, doing another thing and quickly back off for the finalle.

This six episodes thing is gonna annoy me. But it's cool I guess. I just hope that Sam & Max 3 comes as a whole game. :D
  • edited November 2006
    Dude that's right ... Man i totally didn't connect with the fact that Hit The Road only had icon dialog options. Then it makes sence that they did it this way...

Still though .. I still prefer the ol' 'see what you get' dialogue though.
  • edited November 2006
    man i feel really bad i had to cheat for such an obvious thing
    when you gotta drop the weight on that one guy

i'm really glad however i was on to something when i found the spray

still the last puzzle was just on the tip, game took me 5-6 hours? to finish.

phew

it was like a good episode of sam n max.
    i can't wait for the next ones.. maybe i should play the next episodes like how i watch my tv shows.... BACK TO BACK.. instead of having to wait yearrgh.

i love this game as much as i love the original and the tv series. however
    sam seems especially jaded to violence this time around. and max was a good choice, tho sometimes he gets out character.

in the dream sequence max is like a cute pacman hahaha.

i should add that the soundtrack definately kicked ass... i think the game took me 5-6 hours cause someparts i wanted to just sit and listen to the music.. really great jazz.. maybe if you guys ever do a city scene, with high rises and such you could play some bebop?
    ooooo or some bluegrass...

definately bebop jazz, louis armstrong-ella fitzgerald esque bebop!!!
  • edited November 2006
    Loved the game.

Something that REALLY bugged me was when the written dialogue was cooked - after the ellipses (...) THERE'S NOT A HUGE SPACE BETWEEN THAT AND THE NEXT SENTENCE!

It would be like "HEY MAX... (space, space, space, space, space, space)HOW'S YOUR FOOT?"

No bru, no no no no no. Should be:

"HEY MAX...HOW'S YOUR FOOT?"

Why the need for such editorial liberty-taking is beyond me. Don't know who was doing the grammar in that game, but they took HUGE liberties with spacing and the like... you know what I mean?

The spelling was great, but the little typos like "HEY MAX... YOU A AND THE RAT LOOK NICE TOGETHER" (there's a random 'A' in there) just detract from a most special game.
  • edited November 2006
    it was like a good episode of sam n max.
    i can't wait for the next ones.. maybe i should play the next episodes like how i watch my tv shows.... BACK TO BACK.. instead of having to wait yearrgh.

Having finally gotten around to playing it, I would say that you'll probably enjoy the series much better if you play each game seperately first. By all means play 'em back to back later but from what I've gotten from it, it feels like you should really take the time out to enjoy each seperate episode.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.