Why Sony will fail next generation

The PS4 has been the kingpin console of the generation. The Xbox started off with anti-consumer practices. But as of recent Sony have tried to control more of a monopoly in the market.

⚪ Cross platform: Sony as of recent have shown their unwillingness to enable cross platform. This has come into light because of fortnite. They have been repeatedly called out and still won't allow it for certain or all games.

⚪ Trying to stop emulation on PC: emulation is probably one the best pros to PC gaming. It means you're able to enjoy your games from older systems. Sony didn't get want their games emulated , so what did they do? They brought our their shitty streaming service PS now. One of the reasons this exists is to get rid of emulation of their games. Since people now have a recent "platform" to purchase their games, that means they can strike down emulators.

Microsoft have brought in many pro consumer practices. This of course is to regain popularity after their early generation blunders. I hope Sony fix their recent ways, as pro consumerism was a big plus from Sony early generation.
What do you think?

Comments

• Another huge thing for me that made me not want to own a PS4 was SONY not wanting to allow modding on Fallout 4 when Microsoft had allowed it several months before the XBOX ONE.

Sony didn't get want their games emulated , so what did they do? They brought our their shitty streaming service PS now

Yeah, fuck that. The thing with the XB1 is if you already have the older games, all you have to do is just put in the disc, and wait for it to download. You don't have to pay for any service or anything like that, which makes it much better. With backwards compatibility, I'm allowed to play many of my older xbox games on my XBOX ONE like Psychonauts, American McGee's Alice, Alice: Madness Returns, Left 4 Dead 2 and so many more.
    I only got the PS4 because all of my friends in High School had it at the time.

• It'll take more than just backwards compatibility and mods to make the next XBOX more favorable than the ps5. Their exclusives seem to be the only real issue with the xbox one. All of them are shit. I

• Sunset Overdrive was goddamn fantastic, though.

Dex-Starr posted: »

It'll take more than just backwards compatibility and mods to make the next XBOX more favorable than the ps5. Their exclusives seem to be the only real issue with the xbox one. All of them are shit. I

• edited September 2018

Sigh

Remember when Xbox last generation didn't want to crossplay with sony last generation? You reap what you sow, people are so quick to jump on Sony's throat at everything but claim Xbox is more consumer friendly? Give me a break. If xbox is consumer friendly, then why do you have to pay for Xbox Live to play fortnite? On Playstation you don't NEED PS Plus to play Fortnite BR. Like that is super dirty of Microsoft. But back to crossplay, sony is on a huge streak and they don't have to do crossplay if they don't want to.

Emulation

Yeah no kidding, that they don't want their games to be emulated, they want you to get a PS4 so they can get more money.

• Not having backwards compatibility is just awful. Microsoft is currently REALLY consumer-friendly. Sure, it sucks that you need Xbox Live Gold to properly play Free-2-Play games, but that's pretty much the only bad thing. On the other end, you still have the game-pass, which is ridiculously good, since every new first party game is included at launch.

You also have crossplay and EA-Access. Sony doesn't do a great job in regards to pro-consumer practices outside of excellent first-party games.

Sigh Remember when Xbox last generation didn't want to crossplay with sony last generation? You reap what you sow, people are so quick to

• edited September 2018

Honestly, Sony and Microsoft let the success of previous generations get to their head and essentially sabotaged their own consoles debuts at E3 because of their arrogance. The One's is obviously still more fresh in our minds, some people might have let the debacle that was "599, RIDGE RACER!" and the Resistance gameplay memories fade away, or aren't old enough to remember, but damn did Sony let the idea that the PS2 dominated so hard there was no way the PS3 wouldn't go to their heads. Neither will probably learn from this, and continue to work ass backwards once they're comfortable, just like Sony's doing once again. Remember when the PS4 slogan was "For the Players"? Now we're sitting here and it's "The best place to play"/"(we'll decide what's best)For the players". Sony still has undoubtedly the best line up exclusive games, and it's the sole reason I own one, but I have much better places to play when I want to play any third party game, and once I'm finished with Spiderman it will resume collecting dust, as I'll be purchasing and playing Tomb Raider, Forza, Red Dead, Fallout, Hitman, and anything else I impulsively decide elsewhere.

The EA Access mess was also hilarious, as they turned it down for being a "bad deal (we'll decide what's best)for the players" shortly before offering a similar service consisting of their own games charging for something Microsoft offered for free. Again, the arrogance gets to both consoles creators rather quickly. I lol'd at using Fortnite as an example of bad consumer practices because you need to pay for Xbox Live to play it and you can do so for free on PS4. I mean, wondering who owns either system without subscribing to the online service aside, isn't the PS4 the only version where you can't use your account on any other platform? Because "no no, we're doing YOU a favor, we believe this is where it's best for you to play!"? Jesus, any other example that dude could have used would have been better than the one the developers of the game inform you "Sony won't let you do this, go talk to them" when you try to play the game anywhere else. Literally any other example.

• edited September 2018

Sony will never make the mistake of over pricing their console at launch again that's a given. Actually there is a good chance Sony could dominate next gen by allowing all PS4 titles to be backwards compatible on PS5 which would encourage people who own a PS4 to jump to PS5 there are rumours going around which hint towards this.

Plus xbox could pull another E3 2013 by revealing a streaming only xbox... That's the rumour but we know there will be multiple xbox's next gen. Doesn't matter if they release it alongside a normal xbox, fanboys will jump on the streaming only and shout it from the roof tops to give xbox negative press to the point people think xbox is streaming only.

• @Craixite Sony aren't the company trying to sue and take down emulation sites that is in fact nintendo. Plus I believe you can emulate certain Playstation titles on PC and sony has taken no action to stop it.

• The PC.is too open of a platform for them to do that. No matter what, they'll always be a emulator created.

Sigh Remember when Xbox last generation didn't want to crossplay with sony last generation? You reap what you sow, people are so quick to

• Technically that's the main reason for ps now. Plus there hasn't been a ps4 emulator yet.

Sony will never make the mistake of over pricing their console at launch again that's a given. Actually there is a good chance Sony could do

• Listen folks the moral of this story is, fuck consoles and get a PC.

• Nah, I enjoy seeing a platforms name on the box and knowing I don't have to worry about whether my console can run it or not.

Craixite posted: »

Listen folks the moral of this story is, fuck consoles and get a PC.

• I was joking but ok I guess lol.

Nah, I enjoy seeing a platforms name on the box and knowing I don't have to worry about whether my console can run it or not.

• i never rly got into consoles besides getting a wii as a gift forever ago, but whenever i see a game i rly wanna play it ends up being a ps4 exclusive. haven't seen any xbox exclusives i wanna play.

• edited September 2018

Microsoft were under different leadership during the last console generation. And even then, as far as I know, they did not chain third party accounts to one system. That is what Sony did with Fortnite. There is something wrong when a company that markets itself as being for the players is performing anti-consumer acts and going against what the player wants.
    I think you should watch this video as this guy makes a lot of solid points and a strong argument:

• I agree...it does seem that Sony is setting themselves up for a fall. Just like Nintendo in the past...hubris is weighing on them. After railing against EA last year...the way they are handling DLC for Spiderman and the item store for Gran Turismo is pointing to a future of games as service mentality with the new leadership. Who knows how it will all turn out...but something tells me they will not have the easy time of it as they did this generation.

• I think I should point out, the PS3 wasn't pro consumer at all. Both were very anit consumer. The PS did have free online but the servers were terrible. The PS3 was over priced z launched a year after the 360. The architecture in the PS3 was hard to work with for devs. Sony did claw it back at the end with some good games. The Xbox killed themselves trying to ship the Kinect.

• the modding on ps4 fallout is shit the only good one is the settlement objects unlock and the creation club is just total bs

Dex-Starr posted: »

Another huge thing for me that made me not want to own a PS4 was SONY not wanting to allow modding on Fallout 4 when Microsoft had allowed i

• i just kept my ps3 to play older games

• You would think that they'd allow something like this for their platform.

the modding on ps4 fallout is shit the only good one is the settlement objects unlock and the creation club is just total bs

• edited September 2018

Hard to tell, that's an actual argument used sometimes. I guess it was more of an in general statement. What I like about the console market is how the failures influence their approach. Microsoft took a huge L during their Xbox phase, and came out much more prepared than Sony did despite a year to prepare. Broadband gaming and Live was pushed when Sony was selling accessories for it, and it wasn't until 2010 that they actually had the service in shape enough to compete. Likewise the One's failing at launch more than likely led to the strong push getting not just 360 games available, and free if you own them, but original Xbox games(some of which currently go for quite a buck) available for purchase and play. Competition keeps each company trying to one up the other when they fall flat, and this competition benefits the consumer more than anyone.

Craixite posted: »

I was joking but ok I guess lol.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.