An old fan saying goodbye

This is long and kind of dumb, so strap in folks.

Regardless of what became of Telltale I have fond memories. Thanks to this lot I have some of my favorite games ever. The Sam and Max series, Poker Night, SBCG4AP. Even loved the first season of The Walking Dead, as different as it was to the games I loved before. It seems hard to believe I was still in high school when the first episode of that came out.

When the Forums changed to their current state a lot of us jumped ship. Basically everyone involved with the testing of it (Myself included) thought it was a bad idea and the old forums, as broken as they were, were better. I still followed what games were being made, of course. I had some good hopes for the future of Telltale, but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.

I've lost contact with everyone I used to talk to here. After high school my anxiety kind of spiked. I doubt any of them will even come back and check on the site. I miss those days. I miss those friends. I miss being the telltale fan I once was.

I hope for the best for those laid off recently. Everything is wrong with this. I hope the skeleton crew currently operating bounce right back as well.

I'll never forget the good times because of this place. Finding my favorite comic book.My first D&D game. The first time I ended up watching Kamen Rider, oddly enough. In an indirect way this place is responsible for me meeting one of my best friends.

I will always sing the praises of the classics. I will always remember Telltale Games fondly. I will always be in awe from how they went from Sam and Max to the goddamn Batman. It feels really weird mourning a company, but this place was practically my home online for several years. They're a lot of the reason I love game design, why I love adventure games. Nothing can take that away.

Goodbye Telltale Games. I look forward to what the former staff do in the future.

Comments

• Some of the old crew migrated over onto Double Fine around the 2013 site update, if you were wondering on their whereabouts (I forget if you were one of them). Darth Marsden eventually moved on, but I think some of the others are still around.

• I did end up at the doublefine forums at one point several months after the change., but it never felt quite right. I think I was active there for about a month.

• Ah, that's unfortunate. I wasn't too active before the 2013 site change, but back when I lurked, I saw your posts in passing. You were one of the old time regulars, I think.

• edited September 2018

I was one of the top posters on the old TTG Forums back in the day (enough to get my name in the credits for Sam & Max Season 1 ) and really miss those days. Back when Jake and Emily frequently engaged with the community and Sam and Max and Dank comics were being posted to the website. I also really miss the online store in it's old form where you could get physical games and merchandise. I still have most of what I bought and it is probably some of my most prized possessions (Regrettably I was forced to sell both Sam & Max sketch books years back due to financial issues, but surprisingly made a few hundred off of books I paid $15 dollars for.)
    As with you though, my activity on this forum died down after the change over and my interest kind of faded. Although in light of the recent news, it has me peaking my interest to play through some of Telltale's library again, new and old.
    The Wolf Among Us is actually really great so far.

• In terms of IP choice, Wolf Among Us is a really interesting Telltale game. It's designed with the modern Telltale choice gameplay, but the IP was chosen around that 2011-2012 era before Telltale got big and focused mainly on pop culture IP. Fables as an IP is really eccentric, but I feel it challenged the writers to make a really compelling story - and don't even get me started on that neon noir 80's NYC atmosphere, drenched in saturated comic ink and blended together with fantastical themes.

It's one of the few games that elegantly combines the best of both old school and modern Telltale, in terms of atmosphere, writing, etc. Trust me, it's a great one! I think you'll really enjoy it!

I wish I could play it again with a blank slate.

xChri5x posted: »

I was one of the top posters on the old TTG Forums back in the day (enough to get my name in the credits for Sam & Max Season 1 ) and re

• Twitch Prime has gotten me a couple of the games I've missed, I'm going to have to go through them at some point soon. I didn't really grow out of the genre, or get sick of the new style. I was just in a horrible place at the time and couldn't keep up.

BTW sniper, I remember you from back in the day, not too long before everything changed. It's cool to see you became a mod.

• I hope THQ NODIC will buy Telltale

• As someone who also used to enjoy Telltale's games from their old style, it's a real shame to see them shut down. Even tough I wasn't (and I'm still not) very good at being active on forums, it was nice how open things were back in the day. Maybe someday I'll get around to trying those post-Back to the Future games I got in a Humble Bundle from a while back. Anyways, good luck to the devs.
    PS: I totally understand, staying in contact with people is hard. I mean, what do you even talk about?

• You're maybe the only person I've managed to keep any contact with from back in the day and even that's kind of gone to being a more rare thing. We need to play more games together or something.

Mr Nutt posted: »

As someone who also used to enjoy Telltale's games from their old style, it's a real shame to see them shut down. Even tough I wasn't (and I

• Hi, there. I'm Klatuu, another older forumite. It looks like things are getting shut down now. Local avatars seem to be down, and I can't even access my games from my Telltale Account page now. I'm pretty sure I downloaded them all, but it doesn't look like they're coming back. Before they shut down completely, I just wanted to share a few last thoughts.

I discovered Telltale around 2009. I was ECSTATIC when I heard a new Monkey Island game was coming out, and ended up loving the games they created! I remember playing their free episode of Sam & Max "Abe Lincoln Must Die", which got me interested in their Sam & Max games. Telltale got me involved in the forums by drawing in their many art threads, their art contests, and lots of other interactions with the staff. Like one April Fool's day, a user joked two staff members were getting married and the staff played along, or the April Fools prank where the staff changed a bunch of users' avatars to bunnies.

Over time, things changed, as they always do. I was happy for their success with "Walking Dead", but never really got into their newer games after that. The threads I participated in here became less and less active, and other users migrated to other forums. I haven't been active here in a long time, though I'd browse the forums occasionally. With the news of Telltale's shut down, I've been going through some of the old stuff, reminiscing about those days. I'm disappointed not only about the shut-down, but about HOW it shut down. It's a shame things had to play out the way they did; the developers and company deserved better. I hope the old staff members are continuing to create great games. But I still hearken back to the idea of Telltale like it was back when I first joined.

I know this is just a silly video game forum, but it created a lot of fun times and fond memories. So, to everyone who ever worked at Telltale, anyone who ever played a Telltale game, everyone who participated in these forums, I just wanted to say:

Thank You

Thank you for the laughs, the joys, the sorrows, the emotions, the stories, the games. Keep the Adventure alive.

• Hey, @Klatuu, if you want the user avatars and your games list back, visit the following URLs, which will give you certificate errors. Override them and save the certificates. That will fix the site. No guarantees it won't be gone tomorrow anyway, of course.

https://api.telltale.com
    https://cdn.telltalegames.com

I miss the old days, too. They were fun while they lasted.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.