do you think tell tale could reborn from his ashes?

Hi guys, this is a bad period… but I won't leave my hope down… so if you don't know tell tale was founded by three of people who worked for LucasArts (Kevin Bruner, Dan Connors and Troy Molander) so maybe they could do the same thing. Idk guys it seems a little bit an utopic dream but I really want that this company will continue to live.

Comments

• Not really. Problem is Telltale doesnt own any IPs and the only way Telltale would stay "alive" would be if they were bought, but the thing is no one would want to buy them because all the talent is gone and they wouldnt gain access to the IPs Telltale was working on. All they'd get is a shitty engine. All we can really hope is that they get help finishing the Final Season and some other company picks up Wolf 2.

• You accidentally brought up something I completely forgot about... wasn't TTG supposed to work on their own IP at some point? Or did Bruner dropped it all in favor of milking big IP's? (hey, always one more reason to get pissed at him)

Poogers555 posted: »

Not really. Problem is Telltale doesnt own any IPs and the only way Telltale would stay "alive" would be if they were bought, but the thing

• Who knows what was happening with the "Super Show."

I always personally thought it would never happen or ever even be expanded on. Whatever it was clearly its not worth buying considering Lionsgate who partnered with Telltale because of it pulled out, so clearly they decided forget it.

Jacol posted: »

You accidentally brought up something I completely forgot about... wasn't TTG supposed to work on their own IP at some point? Or did Bruner dropped it all in favor of milking big IP's? (hey, always one more reason to get pissed at him)

• edited September 2018

Video explaining why there likely won't be anyone buying Telltale:

• In regards to the Super Show, all we know is that Telltale's investors pulled out of funding for the company this year. The known investors were IDG Ventures, Granite Ventures, and Lionsgate. All we knew about the Super Show (besides the fact it was supposed to be original IP as both a game and television show) is that the partner involved in its production wasn't Lionsgate. But, it's safe to say that whatever partner was working with them on that project pulled out of funding in Telltale as well.

However, Telltale has a few intellectual properties of their own. Telltale Texas Hold'em is completely their own IP, from the brand to the characters. The also own much of the Puzzle Agent property, including the brand and most of the characters. However, they don't own this completely, as it was based on Graham Annable's Grickle shorts and some of the game's most important characters came from those shorts (such as the Hidden People). The Inventory/Poker Night (Poker Night at the Inventory and Poker Night 2) is another IP they own outright, but of course, the only character they own in this IP is Reginald Van Winslow.

And that latter bit is probably the most relevant for Telltale remaining in business beyond the massive downsizing. The fact that Van Winslow (from Tales of Monkey Island) was used in a Telltale game after LucasArts ended their relationship with Telltale seems to point towards them owning their original characters outright. Another thing that would seem to point towards this is that every time that Lee or Clementine was used in another company's project, they had to license them from Telltale.

So, since they own their original characters, it's possible they can remain solvent with a staff of 25 simply by becoming a licensing company, licensing out characters like Lee, Clementine, Rhys, Fiona, Grendel, Bloody Mary, etc.

• Yeah I hope Wolf 2 is one of the discussions Telltale is having with these external partners who approached them. Maybe Deck Nine would be willing to do it they don't have many big games under their belt apart from Ratchet & Clank with Life Is Strange Before The Storm being their first game under their new name. Wolf Among Us 2 might be a good fit for them.

Poogers555 posted: »

Not really. Problem is Telltale doesnt own any IPs and the only way Telltale would stay "alive" would be if they were bought, but the thing

• Not really. But ex-devs could in theory form a completely new studio and continue on making games in the style of Telltale's games.

In practice, however, it probably won't happen since opening up a new studio is pretty expensive and it takes years for that studio to make any money.

• telltale was a shit tier company anyway. who cares at this point. the way they handled lilly gave me the rest. good riddance.

• Honestly, I feel like it already has been. Telltale might have been the first(?) to do episodic choose-your-own adventure games, but even before its closure there were companies springing up left and right to build on its formula. Mostly with original IPs.

Whether or not larger companies will still want to license out their stuff to Telltale-like studios in the future remains to be seen, but... hopefully the genre will stabilize enough so they can.

• The Final Season should be finished, that's all I want from them, then they can move on to a better place.

• The final season is a product that wasn't pulled off the shelves during this announcement. You paid for a product that eventually came out to be a non finished one. If they don't finish the product that has been sold it would look awful for both them and these types of episodic games that can suddenly end like this. If they decide to actually finish it in some form they will again have an issue because they could be crossing into a problem bigger than just the unfinished game(s). There are already reports of a former employee suing them for breaking the working law and if they don't have the money to pay them shit for their amazing work we are looking at a company that didn't stop even if it knew it was going down hill. In the end this to me seems stupid, idiotic and horrible practice that only EA could of done. If a company is in the shitter you don't do it like this.

• Damn, all of the sudden, I just forgot about the Super Show project nobody cares about. So much for that though.

Jennifer posted: »

In regards to the Super Show, all we know is that Telltale's investors pulled out of funding for the company this year. The known investors

• Get out.

WalkerHH93 posted: »

telltale was a shit tier company anyway. who cares at this point. the way they handled lilly gave me the rest. good riddance.

• jmmjmm
    edited October 2018

Very doubtful. You need funds.... and I don't believe that is something that can be easily obtained by Telltale right now.. That means it needs a buyer or deep-pocket investors.

Regardless if it is a buyer or investors, interested parties need something that tells them "it is a good idea to invest/buy". However for what we know Telltale has too many bad stuff attached to it to make it something worthy to consider.

1. Telltale has little to no IP. So probably little to no value for potential interested parties.
    2. The Telltale brand is damaged goods. For investors it is probably a no-go from the start considering all the bad news and events surrounding the brand (Massive downsize, pending lawsuits, uncertain future, creditors)
    3. As a game brand it has a lot of badly associated issues. It is associated with poor quality "pseudo" games, badly constructed products (lots of bugs, mostly goes unfixed, poorly optimized products). Poorly executed plans (missing schedules, poor scheduling) Controversies galore
    4. Most of the portfolio uses outdated tech. Competitors produce comparable products with better tech
    5. . Most of the portfolio requires negotiating IP and 3rd party licensing agreements meaning you have to probably pay a lot of dough and probably receive a lot less money at the end (gee, I wonder why we are here....)
    6. Most of the recognizable talent left the company (by choice or not)
    7. Debt and No money = Creditors
    8. Lawsuits (And the potential for additional financial obligations)

The only stuff I think it is worthwhile
    1. The Telltale Tool. Even if outdated it is a working multi-platform engine that is still usable today.
    2. As a company, it has contacts with interesting IP holders and most of the online distribution companies and game platforms (eg: console and mobile markets)
    3. The company has experience releasing multi-platform games (unfortunately that knowledge is probably lost...)
    4. Fantastic loyal fans....("You, yes you")
    5. The Blades of Stenchtar IP franchise (True telltale fans do not need to use google/bing/whatever to know about that wonderful franchise)

So the TL;DR is even if someone has a lot of money to burn it doesn't make any sense to spend money in a failed company with little value to offer.

• Did you just assume telltale’s gender?

• I came here to make the exact same comment but you beat me to it...... Damn

Melton23 posted: »

Did you just assume telltale’s gender?

• So you two are going to the same kindergarten, I assume?

• I 100% believe that they could.

• i think tell tale reborn from his ashes

• edited September 2019

As long as they don't make garbage like The Walking Dead A New Frontier, they are good.

• Can I just say that it feeeeeeeeeeeellllss so good right now?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.