Give your opinion why Telltale died?

I think it was because Telltale stuck up two fingers at their loyal fan base by selling their soul to the devil, I mean make franchise games based on popular films/TV instead of focusing on games that people wanted like Sam & Max, Strong Bad, Monkey Island, Hector, Puzzle Agent and the like.

I haven't bought a new game from Telltale since 2011 because there was nothing I was interested in buying.

What is your opinion?

Comments

• edited March 2019

They took on too many projects,they used that shitty telltale tool/engine for years instead of switching to a new one,choices didn't matter,there was no gameplay in their games anymore and the writing in their games went downhill.

So more and more people probably realized that they could just watch their games on Youtube and pretty much get the same experience and that's what they did.

Their games sold less and less after TWD S1 but i really think ANF (TWD Season 3) was the last straw,that game was a big middle finger to all the fans and all the games they made after that sold like complete shit.
    Even after Kevin Bruner left and Pete Hawley joined the company and things were starting to get a little better it was already too late people didn't care about Telltale anymore and all the bad decisions they made finally caught up to them and they died.

So yeah that's what i think i gave you the short version there's a lot more i could talk about like the toxic environment,their games going through massive rewrites,the shitty upper management but i think that's enough already.

• edited March 2019

I don’t think many people wanted any of those games other than Sam and max ? maybe back then, but they tried something new instead of becoming stale, a mistake Activision has made with the COD franchise and look where they are now. Sure, telltale actually shut down, but that was because of budget reasons due to ONLY doing story/puzzle based games, same as they pretty much have always done

• Telltale reached its closure because they bought too many licenses no one asked for, they still used that shitty Telltale Tool engine and used too many terrible excuses to say that the choices mattered, none of their games is even close to being impactful as Until Dawn and Detroit Become Human.

Game of Thrones didn't do anything to appeal the fans of the show. It has its moments but the story was so unfinished, there will never be a Season 2 and HBO has zero interest in continuing it in the show, it's even impossible to do that.

Minecraft exists because it was an obvious cash grab. They ended Season 1 in 2016 and they immediately jumped into making Season 2 not one year later. They never even considered The Wolf Among Us 2 until they realized, years later, that it has tons of fans.

The Walking Dead Michonne, just like Survival Instinct, was nothing but another failed solo game for a fan-favorite Walking Dead character. Less story, more action.

Guardians of the Galaxy. They thought they would make a lot of muneh by adapting it into a video game, because the movies were so good. No wonder it sold like shit, it's forgettable and they failed right when they killed Thanos, one of the most OP Marvel villains, in Episode 1.

Batman. While those games are pretty great, they only existed because Arkham franchise was finished in 2015 and instead of making a solo story for another DC character, they still considered Batman to be the best choice because of its toxic community.

The Walking Dead A New Frontier. I REFUSE TO CALL WHAT THEY WANT ME TO CALL!!! IT'S A NEW FUCKING FRONTIER!!! This is obviously the spot where people realized Telltale lost their mojo and ran out of ideas. They actually thought fans would have no problem continuing Clementine's story by adding her in someone else's story. Characters are shit, plot holes everywhere, short episodes, choices don't mean jack shit, lies intended, forced romance, this game is named after a group which is the main villain of the season and has one of the worst villain leaders that did zero justice. There is NOTHING good about this season. Everything about it is because Kevin Dickhea-I mean Bruner. All of this situation is because of that motherfucker. Suing Telltale for getting back on track and thinking he was sorry that it was shut down. I have EVERY right to criticize this cocksucker. He never admitted his mistakes. He should never touch the gaming industry ever again. It's HIS fault for where we are right now.

Tales from the Borderlands is, without a doubt, the last masterpiece Telltale has ever done and I was never a fan of Borderlands before. Everything after this game went downhill.

Stranger Things. Who knows if it was going to be good or bad but still felt like they announced it too early. Should we blame Telltale or Netflix? Your guess is as good as mine. It even looks like they started working on it just before The Wolf Among Us 2 (Which has no concepts or gameplay prototype revealed on the internet if I'm not wrong).

Even after Telltale improving themselves with Batman Enemy Within and The Walking Dead The Final Season, it was still too late for them because of the sales were decreasing. That's where they went bankrupt. Thanks a fucking lot, Kevin Dickhead.

• Need I say more?

• I mean he's not the only reason why the company closed.

Need I say more?

• edited March 2019

He is the main reason. You know why?

EpiSodE 1 WaS sPLit iN 2 PArtS beCaUse It wAs tOo BIg!!!

Ghetsis posted: »

I mean he's not the only reason why the company closed.

• Kevin Bruner: TFS Episode 1 should've been written in such a way that it could be structured to be 2 episodes , therefore making a total of 5 therefore making the price £25 therefore giving us more moneys therefore allowing us to stay afloat for one more month therefore saving Skybound some money therefore helping out the economy

AronDracula posted: »

He is the main reason. You know why? EpiSodE 1 WaS sPLit iN 2 PArtS beCaUse It wAs tOo BIg!!!

• It was his leadership and decision making as CEO that served as the primary driver for Telltale's closure. He brought on a toxic work environment, he took on too many projects, abandoned other ones (GOT 2, Supershow, original IP), he meddled in the creative decisions of every team, forced rewrites when they didn't fit with his vision, refused to innovate and deviate from the Telltale formula, openly lied, brought on new people and expanded the company, despite the fact that sales were down, the company was losing money, and couldn't maintain such high operating costs, and only cared about satisfying his ginormous ego. Are there other factors, yes, but most of them stem from Mr. Bruner.

Ghetsis posted: »

I mean he's not the only reason why the company closed.

• Everything went to shit when Kevin Bruner took over as the CEO of Telltale Games. I will never forgive him. He is the Micah Bell of the gaming industry.

• That spark makes me sick.

AronDracula posted: »

He is the main reason. You know why? EpiSodE 1 WaS sPLit iN 2 PArtS beCaUse It wAs tOo BIg!!!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.