MEGATHREAD - Status of all Telltale Games - Who owns the publishing rights after liquidation?

edited June 2019 in General Chat

SAFE
The Walking Dead Series - Currently 100% Owned by Skybound Games
Tales From The Borderlands - 2K Working To Secure Publishing Rights "as soon as possible"
Guardians of the Galaxy - Marvel Working To Secure Publishing Rights
IN LIMBO
Batman Series - Still up for sale, no official word
The Wolf Among Us - Still up for sale, no official word
DELISTED
Minecraft: Story Mode Series - Episodes past episode 1 will be impossible to download after June 25th as stated in blog post from mojang
Game Of Thrones - No official word
All pre-TWD Telltale Games

Comments

• The Pre-Walking Dead games are gone for good.

Wolf and Batman will probs stay up as DC and Warner Bros are involved with video games, I doubt they'd basically just let free money pass by just keeping it up.

Im guessing Minecraft will probably come back at some point. Game of Thrones aint coming back, shows over now, wasnt selling well to start with, and its pretty obvious HBO wasnt a fan of the product seeing as GoT 2 was def canned before Telltale even shut down.

• Updated the thread with MCSM details since the recent Mojang blog post

Will update again once I get more details on GOTG, since I'm looking into that really undocumented claim now.

• edited June 2019

"MCSM Season 1 and 2 will no longer be supported on June 25th, 2019. If you have purchased these seasons, please download all remaining episodes prior to the service being discontinued in June."

Jeez, really? I get that they won't be avaliable for purchase anymore, but we won't even be able to download them? That's a bummer.
    (in the PS3/4's case, Usually if games get delisted from stores or their licenses expire, you can't purchase them anymore, but the game remains on their store servers for any current purchasers to download whenever they want. But it's just going to be removed from the servers, period...? That just doesn't really feel fair.)

EDIT: At least in terms of MCSM S1, we should have the edited Netflix version for the time being... That being Episodes 1-5...

• Game of Thrones ain't coming back

I swear, A Song of Ice and Fire is Viserys II, the Telltale game is Daeron and the HBO series is Baelor.

"While TellTale spent and D&D dicked around; George R.R. ruled."

Poogers555 posted: »

The Pre-Walking Dead games are gone for good. Wolf and Batman will probs stay up as DC and Warner Bros are involved with video games, I d

• Probably all of them is going to be Epic Exclusive when their license expire... I'm just glad Telltale died because all of their future games would be Epig Shit Store exclusive

• Still wondering if there's going to be anything similar to this kind of games anymore, like TT I mean ik there's lis and another one I'm talking about TT style here.

• I doubt that there'll ever be a full on Telltale inspired game, because at this point its considered outdated. But people may be inspired by certain elements. I mean despite how people meme the "this person will remember that", there are games like LiS that do use it but in a more subtle way in order to inform the player that their choices being recorded.

Still wondering if there's going to be anything similar to this kind of games anymore, like TT I mean ik there's lis and another one I'm talking about TT style here.

• Hmmmm….. maybe?
    There's a really bizarre genre of choose your own adventure apps out there that work like really watered down post-TWD TellTale Games. They're almost entirely text based with just character and background art, but have the same kind of emphasis on dialogue, decisions and QTEs. They're extremely tropey and mostly bubblegum romance crap, but honestly picking out the tropes and watching for tonal nosedives from the bubblegum is extremely fun. A lot of the bad or even mediocre stuff is enjoyably bad depending on how you play.

It's a really fascinating niche corner that I kinda wanna talk about this more in its own thread since I'm retiring from Road to Survival and have been getting back into them. They're free with the usual premium currency hitches most apps have, so I do recommend giving at least one of them a try if it sounds your speed.
    Choices (link to their wiki. Yes, they have one of those.) is my go-to app until I exhaust its library then I'm probably gonna jump to Chapters (which seems to be largely low grade smut. I expect none of it to be good but I hope for entertainingly bad), but for individual books: If you want surprisingly good quality horror with strong consequences It Lives In The Woods off of Choices, if you want a mostly bubblegum romance The Freshman Series off of Choices, if you want laughably bad fantasy/Discount Game of Thrones The Crown And The Flame off of Choices, if you want hilariously bad (like, real bad).... everything Kidnapping The Princess off of Chapters, and if you want infuriatingly bad (seriously, this is the only piece of media that's made me actively angrily yell at the writing) Starstruck from Chapters.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to work on my conspiracy board of the Choices shared universe.

Still wondering if there's going to be anything similar to this kind of games anymore, like TT I mean ik there's lis and another one I'm talking about TT style here.

• Thx for sharing this, I'll consider trying them out soon :)

Joe_Momma posted: »

Hmmmm….. maybe? There's a really bizarre genre of choose your own adventure apps out there that work like really watered down post-TWD Tell

• If you like Choices, there's also Episode which works kind of the same way. I don't like those kinds of games myself, because they seem to focus on "gem" monetization. (They want you to pay more to access certain parts of the story, and the characters try to make you feel bad if you don't pay, which is annoying.)

Joe_Momma posted: »

Hmmmm….. maybe? There's a really bizarre genre of choose your own adventure apps out there that work like really watered down post-TWD Tell

• Episodes has been on my radar as one of the 4 I've come across (Choices, Chapters, Episodes and MyShelf) but I haven't tried it yet.
    A quick look at the site you linked seems to suggest there's a community creator function to make your own, which definitely has my attention to say the least. I might jump into Episodes ahead or alongside of Chapters since I need to take it in small doses or risk a stroke.
    Anyways, I'll rant about this stuff more in its own thread sometime later this week, sorry to derail this one for a bit (pls no ban, I luv u Blind bby <3 ).

WarpSpeed posted: »

If you like Choices, there's also Episode which works kind of the same way. I don't like those kinds of games myself, because they seem to

• Well, there is no hope for Game of Thrones game to be renewed since GOT Season 8 was a huge letdown to the audience.

• I doubt they'd do anything even if the last season ended up being beloved.

AronDracula posted: »

Well, there is no hope for Game of Thrones game to be renewed since GOT Season 8 was a huge letdown to the audience.

• I never said they would. But GoT in general just overstayed its welcome along with The Walking Dead.

Pipas posted: »

I doubt they'd do anything even if the last season ended up being beloved.

• Not really, GoT could've easily gone up to 13 great seasons had they cared about remaining faithful to the books and cared about the show's quality. Sadly Dumb and Dumber were two dipshits who decided to ditch the show for Star Wars, which is why the show started to go downhill with S7.

AronDracula posted: »

I never said they would. But GoT in general just overstayed its welcome along with The Walking Dead.

• Guardians of the Galaaxy got delisted yesterday 23/06/2019
    Now the only good Telltale games avaliable are Batman Season 1/2 and The Wolf Among Us

• edited June 2019

GOTG may have been delisted, but I can still find the game on the PSN store (all the episodes except for Episode 1). Heck, while all the Episodes show up as "Unavailable for Purchase" if you don't own it, the Free Demo doesn't. It still says "Try for Free"
    I can still download the episodes, too, it just requires a bit of searching back through my purchase history to get to Episode 1. This should mean that -- at least on consoles -- MCSM should be fine for anyone who already owns it.

Guardians of the Galaaxy got delisted yesterday 23/06/2019 Now the only good Telltale games avaliable are Batman Season 1/2 and The Wolf Among Us

• tfw all the shitty Telltale games that killed Telltale are the ones that get unlisted forever as if their sole existence was to kill Telltale

Guardians of the Galaaxy got delisted yesterday 23/06/2019 Now the only good Telltale games avaliable are Batman Season 1/2 and The Wolf Among Us

• I remember reading several articles about the removal of Telltales everywhere and on one of the articles the writer contacted 5 telltale employees and they said they didn't know why it was happening (obviously because the servers auren't supported, systems and infrastructure surrounding the game will eventually break down so it was inevitable, but still), and one of the employees said that it was another massive gut-punch to know that all these games that you poured your blood, sweat and tears into were just being removed indefinitely from the market and no-one will every buy them again.

Also, I swear because of some problems with people who bought MCSM not being able to redownload it, the folks who manage the Minecraft properties said they managed to bring them back to stores, but each episode would be $100? Is that still going on?

• Can't imagine, that must completely suck

Ghetsis posted: »

I remember reading several articles about the removal of Telltales everywhere and on one of the articles the writer contacted 5 telltale emp

• So no news on Batman yet?

• What about Batman?

So no news on Batman yet?

• I was curious as to if another gaming company had picked it up. I know it’s highly unlikely to get a third season, but I’m just curious.

mn9dude posted: »

What about Batman?

• Don't think any other developer has picked it development, but I could be wrong.

I was curious as to if another gaming company had picked it up. I know it’s highly unlikely to get a third season, but I’m just curious.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.