Would like to make an choose your own adventure game similar to Telltale. Anyone interested?

edited June 2019 in General Chat

So, uh, I would like to make a game similar to telltale. Well, not exactly like telltale cuz that'd be too hard. But like an interactive choose your own adventure game with episodes. (Or without episodes) And instead of 3D we could make it 2D. Anyone interested?

Comments

• What engine? What would it be about?

• I have literally no idea. This was just an idea I came up with today, don't really have it thought out much.

Ghetsis posted: »

What engine? What would it be about?

• Perhaps it's best to make it a small project... That's the only thing I know so far :D

What engine? What would it be about?

• well darn. Bit early right now then. Very very few around here have the expertise to do such things.

Perhaps it's best to make it a small project... That's the only thing I know so far

• OK, some comments.

Text adventures are the easiest (Press 1 to do this, Press 2 to do that), but they're also not very impressive these days.

2D graphics are actually harder than 3D graphics with today's toolkits.

Choose-your-own-adventure-type games work pretty well on mobile devices, as you only have to press one button or another.

You may want to consider just writing a story or outline first and run it by some friends. Having a good story is the most important part.

• Rip idea... :D

well darn. Bit early right now then. Very very few around here have the expertise to do such things.

• Wait how is 2d harder?

WarpSpeed posted: »

OK, some comments. Text adventures are the easiest (Press 1 to do this, Press 2 to do that), but they're also not very impressive these d

• Here's a pretty good article on the concepts, but it's also a bit technical, so if it's hard to understand, just read the last paragraph.

https://blog.mecheye.net/2019/05/why-is-2d-graphics-is-harder-than-3d-graphics/

While looking for that, I saw that there's a lot of people on both sides arguing whether 2-D or 3-D is harder in games, and it all really depends on how "good" you want it to be. 2-D drawings typically have a lot of detail, unless you're playing stick figure adventure man. 3-D drawings could have a lot of detail, but most animators don't put as much detail into a 3-D figure as they would a 2-D figure, because they want the game out before the 2030s.

Wait how is 2d harder?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.