Would like to get better at writing. What (educational) books do you recommended?

edited June 2019 in General Chat

So I would like to get better at writing. Obviously I ain't the best writer, never wrote a (full) book, but I wrote some short stories. Now obviously these are shit and I would like to get better.

So I go surf on the internet for tips to get better at writing, because I want to improve. But it's always the cliche and basic stuff that comes like, if you want to get better at writing just write alot... THAT IS NOT HELPING. - and other basic stuff that is just really obvious even for a amateur.

So, to all the people who are familiar with writing or are writers themselves:

Do you know any good books or other media like a specific youtube channel to help get better at writing? And that really goes in depth with themes, world building, characters, conflict etc.
Just not the basic stuff.

Thanks!

Comments

• This article has some pretty good tips.

But I think just reading novels in general can help you improve on your writing. If you enjoyed a book, think about why you liked it, why the characters worked for you, what about the story and dialogue did you enjoy, etc. If not, think about why you didn't particularly enjoy these things and what you would change or improve on. Doing this should help you pick up some things about writing stories and characters and potentially avoid certain problems.

Of course it would also be good to get other people to look at your work so you're not just trapped in a bubble either thinking your story's really good or really bad.

• edited June 2019

The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. is pretty good for improving your writing. Stephen King recommended it too. You can buy the book, but it's also free to read on archive.org. Also, just like lupinb0y said, just read more. Reading can teach you a lot too.

• Here's a few books:

• The Anatomy of Story by John Turby
    • Creating Character Arcs by K M Weiland
    • Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting by Syn Field
    • Story by Robery McCee
Sign in to comment in this discussion.