(After The Wolf Among Us S2) Should New Telltale cash crab Minecraft now that it's popular again?

edited September 2019 in General Chat

Telltale is back and I'll be damm if the company goes down again. So are people fine with cash crabing Minecraft story mode for the sake of the company? The first season saved the company...for a time... when Game of Thrones and Guardians of the galaxy failed finasualy. Honestly, I WISH sooo badly for another season of Batman series and Borderlands above everything else but both hade poor sales. I don't want to live in a world with out Telltale and It's community....that world did suck the little time it existed.

Edit: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/22/telltale-closure-the-walking-dead-minecraft-batman/
Report: Only Minecraft And The Walking Dead Season 1 Were Profitable For Telltale, Batman Was A Huge Flop

Comments

• If they want to bankrupt again, why not? Making a new season of a game that barely sold 50k on Steam, what could go wrong?

• The player base are on PS4 and Xbox, mobile. MCSM S2 has 1 000 000+ downloads on mobile while Batman the enemy within has 500 000+. It's the strongest IP telltale has. That is why it got milked in the first place.

Box Tv posted: »

If they want to bankrupt again, why not? Making a new season of a game that barely sold 50k on Steam, what could go wrong?

• It wouldnt be wise seeing how Season 2 sold like ass.

Also I'd just like to note most of the games Telltale said were "financial failures" arnt actually "financial failures." They consider them failures because they couldnt expand the company because they had unrealistic goals, but their games were still selling well enough to keep the company going steady. Their real financial failures would be GOTG Minecraft 2 and Batman 2 as all 3 of those games truly did not make a profit or break even in anyway and were clearly just wasting money.

• Are we just gonna ignore that Season 2 of Minecraft sold like shit? Not only it was released NOT one year after the last episode of the original game but it also announced right after one of the worst disappointments of all time that was A New Frontier. The game didn't justify anything and there is no deny about it.

All they need to do to is make a good game and do a HUGE marketing for it.

• That's why I think they're going to go with TWAU. It has a big cult following and critical acclaim, they wouldn't have to work that hard to market it when the desire already exists, but if they were aggressive about it, the anticipation would skyrocket. I don't know where it ranks compared to something like Life Is Strange in terms of popularity, but it would definitely cause a big wave in the community all the same. They could gain a lot from it.

AronDracula posted: »

Are we just gonna ignore that Season 2 of Minecraft sold like shit? Not only it was released NOT one year after the last episode of the orig

• They still need to market it pretty hard. Telltale was so dumb with Wolf 2, it should have released a year or 2 later, many people who played Wolf remember and only played Telltale games like Walking Dead 1 and then stopped. They need to try gaining those people back because by the time it was announced most people thought it wasnt gonna happen and even after announcement many didnt know it even was announced.

A big issue with Telltale was marketing and they need to get their shit together big time for this come back. Wolf 2 will already be big news, but they need to advertise more after that. Too many Telltale games were just "announcement" and then episode 1 release and then marketing pretty much died.

booper posted: »

That's why I think they're going to go with TWAU. It has a big cult following and critical acclaim, they wouldn't have to work that hard to

• edited September 2019

Should New Telltale cash crab Minecraft

are you trying to put them into bankrupcy again

• Just think if Telltale was only 100 employees and not 400, maybe then it wouldn't be a financial failure.

Poogers555 posted: »

It wouldnt be wise seeing how Season 2 sold like ass. Also I'd just like to note most of the games Telltale said were "financial failures

• I have no idea why people think Season 2 did poorly when it was THE ONLY thing keeping the company alive since it's first season back in 2014/2015. Yea season 2 diden't sell as good as season 1 but it sure as hell diden't floop. Report: Only Minecraft And The Walking Dead Season 1 Were Profitable For Telltale, Batman Was A Huge Flop

Link: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/22/telltale-closure-the-walking-dead-minecraft-batman/

• Steam database also has Minecraft at selling 50 - 100k and before the exact number went down on steam db it was around 60k

I have no idea why people think Season 2 did poorly when it was THE ONLY thing keeping the company alive since it's first season back in 201

• edited September 2019

This list is outdated though, for example now Steam says BTEW is between 200k and 500k. During this list MCSM wasn't complete.

Steam database also has Minecraft at selling 50 - 100k and before the exact number went down on steam db it was around 60k

• Neither was Batman 2, but they also reported Batman 2 was their best performing game out of the 3. Seeing how GOTG and Minecraft 2 both seem to be stuck at around 75k it wouldnt be wise to try and continue that series.

If I had to guess where Batman 2 is I would say on Steam its probably about 250k-300k which is a lot better but still aint really cutting it. However thats probably why they wanted to buy the Telltale Batman rights as it clearly does have a potential to sell.

This list is outdated though, for example now Steam says BTEW is between 200k and 500k. During this list MCSM wasn't complete.

• Why the hell do you think I made this post? Why do you think the series was getting milked in the first place? Why ou do you say "they also reported Batman 2 was their best performing game out of the 3" and then show no article about it yet my article, directly from the developers are stating the opposite. That MCSM was selling.

Neither was Batman 2, but they also reported Batman 2 was their best performing game out of the 3. Seeing how GOTG and Minecraft 2 both seem

• Literally no one fucking cares about Minecraft anymore enough about it.

The First season was fun and the second season had a damn good soundtrack for some reason but they really shouldn't have made more than one season,they should just make wolf 2 and then either start with a new ip from there or make batman 3.

Either way,no more Minecraft please thanks.

• The First season was fun and the second season had a damn good soundtrack for some reason

This is honestly the best description of MC:SM i've ever read. Straight to the point.

iFoRias posted: »

Literally no one fucking cares about Minecraft anymore enough about it. The First season was fun and the second season had a damn good so

• Because I was pointing out that even though it sold better it still didnt sell well and why if they were going to make another Telltale series game, it makes more sense to do Batman not Minecraft.

Also that original post isnt accurate , Batman wasnt a "huge failure" when sales figures show season 1 was doing as good as any Telltale game at the time and a Season 2 was made because obviously it made enough money to be able to make another not to mention season 2 had already out sold Minecraft 2 and GOTG by the time telltale shutdown. If anything should be considered "a major flop" its very clearly GOTG.

Id give you a link but it was directly from Pete Howley's twitter which is now deleted when he said Batman 2 was their best performing game of 2017. Hopefully other people here can back me up on that.

Why the hell do you think I made this post? Why do you think the series was getting milked in the first place? Why ou do you say "they also

• He might took it down because it was inaccurate? :D

Because I was pointing out that even though it sold better it still didnt sell well and why if they were going to make another Telltale seri

• Nope he deleted his twitter after Telltale collapsed because everyone was blaming him for the shut down.

He might took it down because it was inaccurate?

• should've stormed Kevin Bruner's twitter account instead...

goddamn goatee bearded prick Bruner

Nope he deleted his twitter after Telltale collapsed because everyone was blaming him for the shut down.

• Wasen't he 10x better then Kevin Bruner?

Nope he deleted his twitter after Telltale collapsed because everyone was blaming him for the shut down.

• He was.

Wasen't he 10x better then Kevin Bruner?

• edited September 2019

Basically every possible human being would be 10x better than him

• Spittin' truth.

Basically every possible human being would be 10x better than him

• Yes but people are stupid and think that just because he was CEO when it happened it meant he was the problem when in reality he was given a sinking ship from Bruner and was trying his best to save it but it was too late.

• Pete Howley was the best thing to happen to Telltale at that point.
    He really wanted Telltale to do well. More quality, less quantity he said.

I still hope that comes true with the new owners.

Yes but people are stupid and think that just because he was CEO when it happened it meant he was the problem when in reality he was given a sinking ship from Bruner and was trying his best to save it but it was too late.

• This just reminds me how people are blaming the actors for the movies they hated.

Cough Cough Star Wars Cough Cough

Yes but people are stupid and think that just because he was CEO when it happened it meant he was the problem when in reality he was given a sinking ship from Bruner and was trying his best to save it but it was too late.

• I don't see why not. You gotta make money to have money to spend.

Of course, I don't know the first Minecraft and can't say I'd be interested personally, but I'm also not one of those "scorn this thing because it's really popular and/or not what I want" people.
    The only issue I can say there'd be is if this allegedly resurgence in popularity would still be there by the time Telltale gets to it..

• as I stated in another thread I think new telltale games after twau season 2 and possibly tftbl 2 they should dive into original IP instead of building a library of licenced IPs

• Sadly Telltale doesnt own the rights to Borderlands.

Even more sad is Borderlands 3 lead writer wants to make a season 2 and I dont want to think about Tales being bastardized that badly.

donmike84 posted: »

as I stated in another thread I think new telltale games after twau season 2 and possibly tftbl 2 they should dive into original IP instead of building a library of licenced IPs

• Wasn't Tales from the Borderlands written with help/supervision from Gearbox as well?

Sadly Telltale doesnt own the rights to Borderlands. Even more sad is Borderlands 3 lead writer wants to make a season 2 and I dont want to think about Tales being bastardized that badly.

• edited September 2019

Good thing for you then that Tales 2 will never happen anyway!

Sadly Telltale doesnt own the rights to Borderlands. Even more sad is Borderlands 3 lead writer wants to make a season 2 and I dont want to think about Tales being bastardized that badly.

• Episode 3 had some "help" but Telltale had the most control

BigBadPaul posted: »

Wasn't Tales from the Borderlands written with help/supervision from Gearbox as well?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.