Unpopular Opinion: I think Life is Strange is legimately bad

edited February 2020 in General Chat

This game seems to have a lot of hype, but I just think it is not that good. The dialogue is cringe, the villain of the first game is just terrible and so is the end. People complain about Telltale but at least their best games have great writing, the writing in LIS is extremely hit or miss. And Besides Max and Chloe the characters don't get much development, and I hated Chloe anyway.

The second is even worse, the characters there are lacking and the story is uninteresting and dull.

Comments

• I used to enjoy the first game, by watching it on youtube until @MetallicaRules pointed out its major flaws which made me realize how stupid I was for ignoring them. I don't even know what was the whole point of the first game. Was it about a murder case, a lesbian relationship or the superpowers that were never explained where they came from? The endings were easily the worst part and I could never stand Chloe's character.

I couldn't even finish watching the whole story for LIS2. The only time I've seen the whole concept of it was when I watched Dartigan's sin video for it. Its low sales are no surprises to anybody.

• That's not even an unpopular opinion lol.

I liked the "gameplay" personally,i always thought Telltale could've learned a thing or two from them on that,all the interaction you have in game with the world and the characters that stuff was great.

For me the biggest problem the first game had was the endings,the whole game you're reminded that choices matters but really the only choice that matters is the one you make at the end. It was such a huge fucking waste of time.
    The second game had way better endings i didn't feel like i wasted my time playing the game for nothing making all these decisions as Sean.

• I've always liked the vibes that Life is Strange gives off, the big problem for the series has always been its writing, which can range from decently good to abysmally bad, most of the time staying in a mediocre middleground. It's a bit of a shame, probably the best/most consistent writing in the series would be The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit, which kind of made it a shame with how season 2 turned out. The road trip of season 2 really sunk that game, it could have been pulled off well, but I feel like the writers were out of their depth, since this series seems to do better with focusing on one location instead of going to new places every episode without having many recurring characters.

• That's not an unpopular opinion.

• I thought LiS 1 had some good ideas and is pretty decent overall, could've been amazing. LiS 2 on the other hand...

AronDracula posted: »

I used to enjoy the first game, by watching it on youtube until @MetallicaRules pointed out its major flaws which made me realize how stupid

• I would admit that it's MUCH better than The Walking Dead A New Frontier. I will never forgive that game which ruined everything for me.

Ghetsis posted: »

I thought LiS 1 had some good ideas and is pretty decent overall, could've been amazing. LiS 2 on the other hand...

• I could not give a single fuck about that game, i dont get it how it ruined everything for you.

AronDracula posted: »

I would admit that it's MUCH better than The Walking Dead A New Frontier. I will never forgive that game which ruined everything for me.

• The Walking Dead Season 1 changed my life forever, since then I have played every single future game until ANF which was the point where Telltale lost themselves. All the content mentioned before the release of the first 2 episodes were nothing but a bunch of lies.

• 42 versions of Clementine: Screw You!!!!
    • The first episode was split in 2 parts because it was too big: ScrewYou!!!
    • Clementine is going to be a major second playable character: Screw You!! Being playable in flashback doesn't make her a second PC. She doesn't even have hub sections!!
    • Season 2 endings will have a big impact on Season 3: SCREW YOU!!!

The story was short, it had unoriginal ideas, the villains sucked and the characters, except Javi and Clem, are ALL fucking garbage!!! Everything about A New Frontier is a sin. I made the right choice to stop supporting them. Even though I'm excited for Wolf Among Us Season 2, I think I'll just move on to a better place after that.

Bruno113 posted: »

I could not give a single fuck about that game, i dont get it how it ruined everything for you.

• Actually, the best thing I can say about LiS is that it's honestly a pretty good thing to look at for writing. It's got a lot of examples of things to avoid but also the occasional pretty good/interesting writing technique. And hey, I was so incredibly disappointed by a plot point in Before the Storm, that I've been mapping out an original story in my head based on that missed opportunity of a story beat, so that's nice.

• I never got round to playing episode five of the first season, but I guess at the time I found it okay. It will never be the same standards as Telltale or Supermassive Games' Until Dawn.

• Life is Strange bad, Telltale good. That is all.

• I still havent played LIS2 yet but I do plan on playing it at some point.

Looking back, LIS1 is overall really good. I think its biggest problem is like many said, sometimes the writing and dialogue feels really unnatural and I dont think the lip sync helps at all when it comes to moments like this.

I think the best part about LIS is the location. The school location and atmosphere actually works really well, episode 3 was easily my favorite with the whole sneaking around the campus at night for atmosphere alone.

That being said, I do prefer Telltale games much more simply because the dialogue is better, but personally I wouldnt say Life is Strange is a bad game at all and would say its overall a very good game.

However, LIS had much better "gameplay" segments and hubs. The Final Season started to head down the life is strange path and I do really hope Wolf Among Us 2 fully adopts this style of gameplay for exploration. Imagine being able to walk all around the Woodlands in Wolf 2 and just take the elevator to which ever floor, or take the stairs, for no real reason other than exploring.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited February 2020

Yeah, exploration hub sections have always been really good in LiS, even allowing nice small choices, which is neat. Telltale hubs were always pretty lacking, and I was glad to see them moving towards it before their time was up, so I do hope Wolf 2 picks back off in the direction they were heading in in regards to that.

Poogers555 posted: »

I still havent played LIS2 yet but I do plan on playing it at some point. Looking back, LIS1 is overall really good. I think its biggest

• edited February 2020

I do agree that the location is good, but maybe it is just not my cup of tea because it looks like a YA story and I usually don't love them.

I can't say LIS is good even with this some positive aspects because E5 is really bad. The reason why everything is happening is not explained at all (everything feels pointless, the power and the storm basically came out of no where and you have to accept it) and the endings are terrible, you either destroy the town and let everyone dies (really? Let babies and families die just because you like Chloe?...) or you erase most decisions you made in the game.

I still havent played LIS2 yet but I do plan on playing it at some point. Looking back, LIS1 is overall really good. I think its biggest

• I think the overall message to take away from LiS is "How far are you willing to go for friendship?" Max reconnecting with Chloe and rebuilding their shattered friendship over the course of the season supports this message. There's also the suicide subplot. Kate's bullying begins as soon as the game starts and has Kate receiving verbal abuse and shame from her friends and family. No one on their first play through predicted Kate would take her life. Most just looker past Kate; not paying her much attention until it was too late. This really hits home for me since I knew someone from my school that committed suicide. I never talked to him or really taken an interest in his life. But when I heard he killed himself at home because of excessive bullying; I couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor kid.
    The missing/murder case is the drive for the whole season. It was interesting and enjoyable collecting all the clues and uncovering the a simple mystery that turned to something much more sinister. No one predicted the Killer's true identity. It shocked every player that HE was even capable of committing so many terrible crimes.
    I like the concept of an ordinary girl going through ordinary life with ordinary problems. Only for all 3 to spiral into something much more exciting and dangerous.
    I would've like more endings but the final choice facinates me. Chloe has already gone through so much pain in her life. Max, her best friend is the only thing she has left to care about. The final choice says a lot about the person YOU are. Do you save the only person who's always had your back in life? Or do you save a town of bad people that hates and shuns you? Max doesn't owe the town anything. She owes Chloe everything. It's an incredibly drastic choice for Max to make.

Box Tv posted: »

I do agree that the location is good, but maybe it is just not my cup of tea because it looks like a YA story and I usually don't love them.

• I also agree episode 5 isnt that good, wasnt a fan on how it turned into the weird nightmare thing without any real deeper meaning.

Box Tv posted: »

• I think that nightmare sequence was supposed to be some sort of Twin Peaks type of thing. Twin Peaks was referenced quite a few times in the game afterall.
    But yeah, they're no David Lynch. Not even close.
    I wasn't a fan of episode 5 either. I'm still a big fan of season 1 overall and BTS though.

I also agree episode 5 isnt that good, wasnt a fan on how it turned into the weird nightmare thing without any real deeper meaning.

• My problem with Season 1 was that they promised that choices would matter by affecting the past, present, and future. Yet none of that really matters seeing as how the ending was. But it turns out that they had a low budget/problem for episode 5 at the time. So yeah...

• The basic problem with Life is Strange is that you have to like Chloe for the story to work, at all. And I hated Chloe from the moment she opened her mouth. There were quite a few side characters I like, but I just wanted Chloe to die from the start.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.