Resident Evil 8 Discussion

edited August 2022 in General Chat

Comments

• I'm excited. I loved RE7, althought I would ask why they are continuing Ethan Winters' story? Cause I thought he was just a regular civilian and his story ended perfectly at the end of RE7, saving his wife who was thought to be dead for 4 years. I hope this time, they will make him a likable character because in RE7, he lacked emotions, mostly due to the first person cliche in which the PCs don't talk because players are the characters' face. They need to make me care about his character, just like how they did with Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire etc.

It looks like the setting is going to take place in Romania. In case you didn't know, I am romanian myself and we all have history of vampires, dracula (You can tell by my account name) and I think someone told me, there is this word "Lei" featured in this trailer. Lei is our money brand (Correct me if it's the wrong word). We have lei, not euros. I highly hope they have characters speak romanian. It would make me so happy because Romania is the most underused country in video games. The only game that takes place in my country is a xbox kinect game called "Rise of Nightmare". I would translate that language if the game doesn't when I'll play it on my channel.

As for the setting itself, it looks amazing. It gives me Bloodborne vibes due to the atmosphere. I think it was a good decision to take inspiration from RE4, although I wasn't a huge fan of it because it was too linear and felt dated.

I'm kind of scared what they are gonna do with Chris in this game. First, they changed his model to how he looked like in RE6. If Capcom could do that, then why didn't they do it in the first place? They made him look like a different person in RE7 and it just screws people's mind by the fact that he went from a boulder punching steroid to a regular soldier to steroid again. It sounds doubtful but Capcom should update RE7 to change his model with his RE8 one to respect the continuity.
    Second, the tag of this game is "His story comes to a close". It can't be Ethan because his arc has just begun or y know, has aleady ended in RE7 with a happy conclusion. I think it's gonna be Chris because he has been through a lot. If this is gonna be last time we see Chris Redfield chronologically, then they need to bring back Jill, Leon and Claire for some cameo roles cause these guys were important to him.
    It looks like he is going to be the main antagonist of the game. I hope they don't force us to kill him like a BOW boss type. He deserves a proper conclusion, after doing everything he could to destroy viruses.

• I'm very excited. I'm really really hoping it sticks very very close to RE7's gameplay and design. I know they said its a bit more action focused, but I feel thats probably more so the fact that the enemies like the werewolves are much faster. Really hoping our only form of real defense is blocking and ducking again. Luckily it does seem more focused on horror as leaks have said your flashlight battery can die and needs to be recharged which is something I'd expect if the game is more focused on horror again. I just want it to be scary. RE2 and RE3 really dont have the same fear factor RE7 had. (I do hope the currency system is not like RE4. It should be scavenged, not dropped by enemies.)

The trailer looked super cool and the locations also look sick. Really excited for the castle/manor and the village itself. I kinda wonder if theres going to be a day and night mechanic where enemies become more violent. The dev update seems like they are very passionate about the game so Im really excited for August for the next update where Im assuming we will see true game play and possibly a release date (January 2021 seems very likely.)

Also Im happy Ethan is returning. I know he is considered kinda bland which I guess for the most part he is, but I feel having the game focus more on an average Joe works a lot better for RE essentially for one thats meant to be more scary. Characters like Leon have straight up dealt with bio-wars and drop kick zombies, its kinda weird to now play as a character like that who is suddenly not an action star seeing how RE7 and now 8 are going for a more "grounded" approach. Also I like Ethan a lot. Sure he isn't the most compelling and its kinda funny how he doesnt seem to care about dead bodies and his arm being cut off, but after replaying RE7 so many times for some reason he just gives this aura that I really like about him. Making him more involved with Chris and the larger RE universe is the correct direction to go for sure and Im glad its making more people appreciate him. Apparently he is also going to be a bit like Ash Williams in this game so thats a big ol plus.

Basically all Im saying is Ethan is the most Chad character in all of RE and Chris has realized this, thus removing Mia from the equation. He is has moved on from Leon- its time for Ethan to continue the bloodline. Chris is done asking nicely.

• The Redfield lineage is the best expanded universe story line, but I'm confused. I looked it up, and it said Chris married Jill after RE5. Jill retired from working the field, but still works to fight bio-terrosim. So she's pretty much the new Clive O'Brian. On a real note, I love how Chris is wearing all black just like his best friend - Wesker

Poogers555 posted: »

I'm very excited. I'm really really hoping it sticks very very close to RE7's gameplay and design. I know they said its a bit more action fo

• RE7 was one of the best games in the series, I hope that Mia and Ethan are in RE8

• Have you seen the trailers? If not, then I would say it's better for you to not watch them because for some reason, Capcom decided to spoil an important plot point at the end for the first trailer, which involves Ethan and Mia. If you're wondering, yes, Ethan is the main protagonist of RE8.

RE7 was one of the best games in the series, I hope that Mia and Ethan are in RE8

• who was the old guy tho?! I only recognized Ethan's hands but I never saw Mia...

AronDracula posted: »

Have you seen the trailers? If not, then I would say it's better for you to not watch them because for some reason, Capcom decided to spoil

• You mean the guy at the end of the second trailer? I don't remember cause I do not watch those RE trailers multiple times.

who was the old guy tho?! I only recognized Ethan's hands but I never saw Mia...

• I gotta ask. Is it worth playing Resident Evil Revelations 1? That is the last RE spin off game that I never played. I did play Revelations 2 but it was pretty forgettable and didn't have any intentions of replaying it.

• Revelations 1 was a fucking chore in a lot of areas. I recommend watching a playthrough. Trust me

I gotta ask. Is it worth playing Resident Evil Revelations 1? That is the last RE spin off game that I never played. I did play Revelations 2 but it was pretty forgettable and didn't have any intentions of replaying it.

• edited April 2021

Bringing back this thread cuz release is pretty soon and IGN uploaded first true gameplay. Pretty well presented to, I am glad it jumps around to not spoil where everything is located.

Looks really cool, surprised it looks and runs so well on a PS4 (Granted pro version, but apparently they were having a bit of trouble on last gen and seems they really fixed that up.)

Only real worry I have is the money system from RE4 returning. I was really hoping killing enemies wouldn't just drop pouches of money as it is a bit immersion breaking. At the very least, I wish the range of pick up was lowered, Ethan is crazy far away from the money and the game is telling him to pick it up, which I feel makes it the most distracting. If money is gonna fall from dead enemies, at least make it more like you need to loot the enemy, rather than you killed them 4 feet away and you get a prompt to grab the money from 4 feet away.

Also you can finally skip cut scenes unlike RE7 thank god. Also theres a photomode which is crazy I was not expecting that. I am sure it will be used very maturely.

also big lady

• And I still cannot get my hands on a PS5. I am already tired of this restock situation. I just hope the PS4 version isn't as glitchy and buggy as Miles Morales.

Bringing back this thread cuz release is pretty soon and IGN uploaded first true gameplay. Pretty well presented to, I am glad it jumps arou

• I mean completely different devs so I dont think that'd be the best comparison. Seeing how smooth it was running PS4 Pro was already pretty surprising and Capcom is super good with optimization so I think it will be fine, but your PS4 will sound like a plane as always. (Plus there is a free next-gen upgrade so whenever you get a PS5 you wont be locked out from next gen at least.)

And I still cannot get my hands on a PS5. I am already tired of this restock situation. I just hope the PS4 version isn't as glitchy and buggy as Miles Morales.

• edited April 2021

Gameplay's lookin' mighty good. Hoping there's a good amount of enemy variety and not just a bunch of those mutants and werewolves. Small detail, but I really like that for the reload animation for the handgun he doesn't just toss away the magazines. Makes Ethan seem more experienced.

also big lady

Goddamn, they really gave her the whole bakery. People are gonna have fun with that photo mode lmao.

Bringing back this thread cuz release is pretty soon and IGN uploaded first true gameplay. Pretty well presented to, I am glad it jumps arou

• edited April 2021

Yeah the reload animation stuff is pretty cool. Guess someone was sick of how in games throwing away entire magazines would reload without "losing" ammo lol. Also love the fact that it seems to imply Ethan has basically just been training since 2017. Really liked the subtle details like how he no longer holds the gun up towards his head anymore when walking and instead holds it safer, and I really like how weapon swapping he takes out one gun as he is putting the other away with his other hand.

"RE fans (and Im like totally 100% not one of them haha) when big lady turns into an eldritch horror and must kill her"

lupinb0y posted: »

Gameplay's lookin' mighty good. Hoping there's a good amount of enemy variety and not just a bunch of those mutants and werewolves. Small de

• "RE fans (and Im like totally 100% not one of them haha) when big lady turns into an eldritch horror and must kill her"

Yeah the reload animation stuff is pretty cool. Guess someone was sick of how in games throwing away entire magazines would reload without "

• Also, IGN did mention that apparently April is their Resident Evil month where they will have exclusive coverage, so I am assuming we can probably expect even more footage soon. Really hoping that demo thats suppose to be more complex and for everyone comes out within the next 2 weeks. (kinda hoping its more like the RE7 demo where it was its own little thing like what maiden is, but its probably going to be like RE2&3R where its just a section of the game, which kinda sucks cuz it spoils an area. Would be awesome if its own thing but I sorta doubt it because how close launch is now.)

• A new Japanese ad with a new secret character it seems

• I am not really sure about Capcom considering this game to be the best in the series. I love what I have seen so far but Capcom wasn't always honest about what they say during promotions. They said Resident Evil 3 Remake was a finished product, thus no need for post release content and that was never the case.

• Capcom makes 7 high quality, above average games within 4 years and no one bats an eye. Capcom releases one average game within 4 years and everyone loses their mind!

• Da Joker, Baby.

I am not really sure about Capcom considering this game to be the best in the series. I love what I have seen so far but Capcom wasn't alway

• Also just so people know to be on the look out- theres some more RE8 story leaks going around that's starting to get traction on youtube so it may come up in your recommendations. So just beware, got a bit spoiled because I thought it was some fan made thing, but there are multiple videos and some are undoubtable the same voice actors performing heavy spoiler scenes. Now that it is starting to get more notice it is probably only a matter of time until Capcom strikes it down, but just be aware.

Without actually spoiling it based on the spoilers I have heard, RE8 is probably going to have a really interesting story, probably the most complex and developed RE story tbh

• Without actually spoiling it based on the spoilers I have heard, RE8 is probably going to have a really interesting story, probably the most complex and developed RE story tbh

At least it doesn't seem to be another TLOU2 situation. So far, at least.

Also just so people know to be on the look out- theres some more RE8 story leaks going around that's starting to get traction on youtube so

Without actually spoiling it based on the spoilers I have heard, RE8 is probably going to have a really interesting story, probably the most

• Hopefully the everyone demo is announced as well

• ...Lady Dimitrescu kisses/licks Ethan's hand?

...WHY IS CAPCOM ENCOURAGING THESE PEOPLE!

Hopefully the everyone demo is announced as well

• Real ones remember that scene from trailer 1 :(

...Lady Dimitrescu kisses/licks Ethan's hand? ...WHY IS CAPCOM ENCOURAGING THESE PEOPLE!

• edited April 2021

Thanks for the spoiler which doesn't upset me for some reason

...Lady Dimitrescu kisses/licks Ethan's hand? ...WHY IS CAPCOM ENCOURAGING THESE PEOPLE!

• That underground facility looks nuts.

Hopefully the everyone demo is announced as well

• It's Heisenberg's Factory

That underground facility looks nuts.

• edited April 2021

I just got done playing the original Resident Evil 2 on PS3 for the very first time and I played the Leon A - Claire B scenario. Gotta say, it isn't as better than remake as many people make it out to be.

Chief Irons wasn't as intimidating as he was in the remake. He is still a creepy bastard who ran the whole RPD and secretly killed the Mayor's daughter but he is just...there. Give Claire some exposition, hide in his secret room and then get killed by Mr. X. He doesn't do anything with Sherry at all.

Speaking of Mr X, he is a complete joke in this version. I mean he still scared me at some parts but overall, his appearances in the game are pretty much scripted.

The B scenario in the original ALSO has so many inconsistencies. You get to solve some of the same puzzles and you go through some of the same routes as whoever you played as in A scenario.

There weren't as many interactions between Leon and Claire as I expected. In the remake, they interacted only once and in the original, only twice if I remember correctly.

Spiders and Crows are pretty much useless and there is no point in wasting bullets on them. I think that's why they weren't in the remake.

Marvin Branagh is just...a nobody. He only speaks with Leon/Claire once and just dies when you go back to the room he was in.

With that being said, there are some things which the original did better. You do not fight the same bosses, especially the Birkin ones. Only once I think. On the railroad platform.

The OG features a zapping system. You get a choice that actually affects the B scenario. In the storage room, in a locker room, you have three choices to either pick up a machine gun or the more storage on your inventory or pick both. Whatever you leave behind, it will be left for Claire/Leon to use in the certain scenario.

Last but not least, Annette's death is soooo much more consistent than the one from remake. She dies by the injuries received from the laboratory debris REGARDLESS of the scenarios (If I'm not wrong). In the remake, I don't think anyone knows how she dies in the remake. After saving her daughter from the infection or after she stops Ada from stealing the G-virus? That's the worst change in the remake in my opinion.

I still got to play the Claire A - Leon B scenario but after that, I don't think I'll ever replay the original RE2 because the remake is just more fun to play. Still think remake should have been much better by fixing the original's mistakes.

• edited April 2021

A look at the new upgrade system for RE8, also a look at the werewolves in the game!

There are animals in the game which you can kill to get meat from, which you can then use to cook different meals with which will have different permanent effects on Ethan, such as decreasing the amount of damage you take when blocking. You can also upgrade your gun to increase damage, rate of fire, reload speed and ammo capacity which seems to have a cosmetic effect on your weaponry. You'll also be able to find treasure and sell it to the merchant for money similar to RE4.

• I'm still not super sure how I feel about a money system in this game as I feel it may take away that exploration survival feel in your character upgrades. Like how RE7 had 2 different shotguns and how exactly you replace the shotgun or fix the shotgun was based on how well you paid attention in the world. RE8 seems to have it so you can buy every gun and every upgrade at the Duke's shop which I am not sure if I like. I mean dude has 300k bucks in this video, meaning it looks like he can buy 10 new weapons or 300 first aids in what appears to be the early game. So hopefully this is specifically just a Capcom provided demo and not an early finished copy of the full game gameinformer has already completed.

A look at the new upgrade system for RE8, also a look at the werewolves in the game! There are animals in the game which you can kill

• edited April 2021

Yeah, I always preferred to just explore areas for weapon accessories instead of spending in-game money to upgrade those. They are trying way too hard to make this a successor to RE4.

I'm still not super sure how I feel about a money system in this game as I feel it may take away that exploration survival feel in your char

• So looks like there is a (not very clear how long you actually play the game) demo with early access to PS. Sadly, the demo is one of the "X amount of time" demos rather than something like the RE7 demos. Seeing how I aint got room on PS4 to play it, and the Steam version comes out a week before it launches, I think I am just going to skip it for spoilers. (Also I have no idea how the RE8 8 hour demo thing works, they said like you have 30 minutes an area but 8 hours? So can people play the Castle Area and the Village area for 30 minutes each up til 8 hours? idk really didnt understand that part.)

Also Mercenaries is back which is super cool, although weird its called "The Mercenaries" when it seems only Ethan is playable lol.

• edited April 2021

POV: You said no to continuing the Redfield lineage

• Sorry if this isn't welcomed, but I thought I'd share the trailer for the Resident Evil animated series. I'll spoiler tag it to save space, sorry if I'm spamming discussions and causing any irritation, just want to be informative

• edited April 2021

Hot damn, that shot of the White House looks real.

If I had a nickel for every time the White House was attacked by zombies in Resident Evil, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1382817974139035657 Sorry if this isn't welcomed, but I thought I'd share the trailer for the Residen

• No need to apologize, even though this is a RE8 thread in the title, its not like it makes much sense to not talk about anything Resident Evil (especially RE content announced at the same place :P)

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1382817974139035657 Sorry if this isn't welcomed, but I thought I'd share the trailer for the Residen

• Just finished Claire A - Leon B as well in the original Resident Evil 2. I changed my mind about some things I said about the game earlier. It was way much better and more consistent (Although still inconsistent in terms of puzzles) than the opposite campaign and Leon and Claire do interact with each other more than they do in remake. I think Leon A - Claire B had more continuity errors because Capcom wanted Claire A - Leon B to be the canon campaign (Confirmed in RE6 where Sherry has the healing ability from the G virus). In my opinion, the og RE2 is a much better made game than its remake, which isn't on the same level as the remake for the first RE, same with RE3 remake.

With all that being said, I think I prefer RE2 remake. Not because it had better graphics and better controls, I just find it more entertaining to play and Mr.X is still making my skin crawl. Not to mention, the boss fight with him in the remake is just better designed and fairly challenging because the one from the original is stupid, cheap, unfair and just not fun at all. I hated it.

• (Also I have no idea how the RE8 8 hour demo thing works, they said like you have 30 minutes an area but 8 hours? So can people play the Castle Area and the Village area for 30 minutes each up til 8 hours? idk really didnt understand that part.)

According to This Article, here's how it works.

There are 3 demos incoming for RE8. Two of them are exclusive to Playstation, the other will be available for all platforms. They will each offer a small glimpse into an area of RE8.

• The first demo is called "Village" and will offer a 30-minute time limit to complete. Also, weirdly, the demo will only be available for an 8-hour period of time. So get downloading that ASAP.
      (The times are: North America - 5 PM PDT on April 17 to 1 AM on April 18
      Europe - 7 PM CEST on April 18 to 3 AM on April 19
      Asia - 5 PM HKT on April 18 to 1 AM on April 19)

• The second demo focuses on the "Castle" and will also be played in 30 minutes for an 8-hour period. It will use the same Demo program as the Village one.
      (The times are: North America - 5 PM PDT on April 24 to 1 AM on April 25
      Europe - 7 PM CEST on April 25 to 3 AM on April 26
      Asia - 5 PM HKT on April 25 to 1 AM on April 26

• The final and multiplatform demo will just be an update to the Playstation versions. It will offer a 60-minute time limit and combine the Village and Castle areas to give players more choice in where to explore. It will be playable in a 24-hour period on these times:
      North America - 5 PM PDT on May 1 to 5 PM on May 2
      Europe - 2 AM CEST on May 2 to 2 AM on May 3
      Asia - 8 AM HKT on May 2 to 8 AM on May 3

So looks like there is a (not very clear how long you actually play the game) demo with early access to PS. Sadly, the demo is one of the "X

Sign in to comment in this discussion.