Season Pass redemption included with disc versions of TellTale Games, still functional?

edited November 2020 in General Chat

Guardians of the Galaxy is no longer for sale on the PSN Store. if I buy a new disc copy, will it still let me download episodes 2-5 using the included redemption code even though the episodes are no longer for sale on PSN?

If the games are no longer 'purchasable' on the store is that a red flag for potential issues when I redeem the code included with the game? The episodes ARE listed on the store, but they're not purchasable. Even in the demo's main menu when you try to unlock the full game, nothing comes up as an option..

Comments

• I don't know for certain (I'm just a community volunteer Moderator), but I would assume probably not. I believe Marvel reacquired the game rights after (the original) Telltale went bankrupt, but I wouldn't be able to comfortably say if the downloads would be available or not.

• I would be surprised if Sony did not honor download codes included with new games despite the company going under. You should have access to things you purchased irrespective of the company's status. Like Scott Pilgrim was removed off PSN years ago but if you bought it while it was being sold they could not deny you the ability to re-download the game you bought. They still hosted the game on their server for that reason.

I don't know for certain (I'm just a community volunteer Moderator), but I would assume probably not. I believe Marvel reacquired the game r

• edited November 2020

I don't know. If there's an expiry date and the date has passed, then it will absolutely not work.
    If not, then probably? You can't buy the game and its episodes off the store anymore, but I'm sure that if you redeem a code for it, it would have to grant you the license for that software, since it's still all in Sony's database, available to be re-installed at any time (as I did with GOTG just a few days ago).

I've heard that many of Telltale's newer titles just have a "Season Pass Disc" to get around the hassle of re-sold copies having already used/missing season pass codes.
    In that case, simply inserting the disc should automatically grant you the license for the season pass and let you also download the whole season, though it'll all only be playable with the disc inside.
    Haven't seen this for myself, since I've only bought Digital from Telltale, but I vaguely remember seeing a thread some 6 months ago about Minecraft Story Mode Season 2, and someone confirming their Disc grants the person the full season pass -- even from a used copy (this was on Xbox).

I'm sure Guardians is also a part of Telltale's "Season Pass Disc" rollout, so it should work fine.

EDIT: According to this reddit thread yes, buying a used disc will work. Telltale no longer seems to have included a code in their later physical releases, and the license for the season is included on the disc. You will have to download episodes 2-5 through the game's menu itself, but yes, the whole season should be included.

This one also confirms the same thing
    The more you know... Cool.

Hey look I was right. Someone did ask about this 6 months ago.
    Double Cool! :grin:

• You rock thank you so much!

AChicken posted: »

I don't know. If there's an expiry date and the date has passed, then it will absolutely not work. If not, then probably? You can't buy the

Sign in to comment in this discussion.