The Expanse: A Telltale Series - Full Season Discussion Thread

Comments

• If this does imply no more exploring areas I hope episode 4 and 5 don't end up like True Colors, LIS spoilers

I really did not like episode 4 of True Colors. Making a whole episode a gimmick was not fun at all and made an already super slow story even slower. I also did not like episode 5 all with the incredibly strange reveal our completely irrelevant father had died in the mines and suddenly this whole game was about Alex's dad and how he died. So I am really hoping Deck Nine doesn't repeat with Expanse by having episode 4 end up feeling like filler and have episode 5 introduce something that felt like it had no importance.

dojo32161 posted: »

(Spoiler)

• I think you're confusing episode 3 with 4. Episode 3 was the RPG.

Poogers555 posted: »

If this does imply no more exploring areas I hope episode 4 and 5 don't end up like True Colors, LIS spoilers (Spoiler)

• Forgets an entire episode moment

(Spoiler)

• ep 2's final choice isn't what determines whether or not Maya lives. I slept with her and she still survived. I'm not sure which one of these choices did it, but I'm pretty sure it was one of them that saved her: Defended Rayen when Arlen was bullying him, saved Rayen's leg, got the medicine for Arlen, slept w/ maya, trusted Rayen
    I think Rayen's the key to Maya's survival, not your relationship with her.

• Misinformation it is ! I reckon it definitely is about Raylen though moreso than Maya.

(Spoiler)

• So Maya died because I didn't pixel hunt well enough? Can we not make morality decisions based around Sierra adventure games next time please???

Thirium posted: »

(Spoiler)

• As someone who pixel hunted everything, no, that did not save her in my playthrough, I have to think it's due to a variety of choices in the relationship with Rayen or Maya, or at least, the leg has to be a big thing.

(Spoiler)

• Who wants to find out what causes Maya to die?

Who wants to actually go back and find out?

• Tbf, easy short replay.

(Spoiler)

• Drummer and khan have some of the goofiest voices I've ever heard.

• Our skateboard rating wasn't high enough :(

(Spoiler)

• Another short episode. Also I feel we don't actually interact with the crew that much. Feels like drummer is always alone.

• I really hope the outcome whenever it is found isn't one of those "accumulation choices" where it is just a bunch of random choices with nothing to do with each other somehow deciding something that has nothing to do with any of those choices.

No idea how so many choice games can't figure out how to do this correctly. Chose what select choices need to be compared, decide which accumulation makes logical sense from those choices you selected and decide an outcome based on that. That way you can have some kind of logical outlook instead of "Well you didn't say hello last week so now they died in a plane crash" kind of outcomes like New Tales has. It seems it is either accumulation of choices leads to an outcome that had nothing to do with it or there is 0 attempt to have more than 1 choice lead to a different outcome. This isn't even Expanse related anymore I think this is just general annoyance with the choose your own adventure genre lol

(Spoiler)

• Yup, I think Maya this episode was the first time it actually felt like a crew member was with you as they gave her a place to be that you leave her from and then when you rejoin she doesn't vanish again. Previously you might as well been alone until a random crew member shows up once you reach a scene. But even then there are only 2 times in the episode you can freely move with Maya.

zeke10 posted: »

Another short episode. Also I feel we don't actually interact with the crew that much. Feels like drummer is always alone.

• So far this game was quite disappointing, I'm still not sure about Maya's decision, this game is boring to the point that no one wants to replay to find out how to save her...

This is the Deck Nine experience, Life Is Strange: True Colors was one of the worst games I've ever played in this style of choices, until today I have haunts from that entire RPG episode and it seems that episode 4 of The Expanse will follow the same vibe with the isolated protagonist, surviving alone until she reaches her crew and the episode ends.

And I prefer not to comment on the length of the episode, I finished it in less than 50min, probably the shortest episode in Telltale history and I explored everything possible.

• edited August 2023

Well finally some actual decent QTE's at the end of the episode

I got the best ending here's what i did and also my thoughts/rambling on the episode

So basically i dont think any choices you made prior to episode 3 mattered for Maya to be kept alive the reason why im almost a 100% sure is that i managed before episode 3 came out to delete my save somehow so i had to replay episode 1 and 2 I rushed through barely talked to the crew except getting the crystal the mushrooms and cigar for the pilot. I saved the vault gave Rayan medicine and i slept with maya though so that perhaps could have an impact. In ep3 i didnt talk to her about sleeping together,no prank convo i said she'd be lucky to have her help so maybe its about her loyalty and the confidence you put in her ?

I said i was horrified by the mausoleum or whatever and that Belters prepare for the worst then i kicked Arlen's ass in a surprisingly fast and decent QTE action sequence for once it's like the game suddenly improved for some reason on that aspect anyway Maya stayed alive for me instead of dying if you trust Rayen because he's a bitch boy and can't make his own decisions.

So yeah it started off as kind of well i dont want to be mean and say boring but while i like the lore even if im not super familiar with the universe there wasnt much going on until like the last 20 minutes or so.

Once again i have to agree its way too short im really not seeing the justification to have this game be like 40-45 bucks which is much higher than usual for a telltale game

(Also fun fact i bought the deluxe edition and got madly fucked by the PS store or something because i don't have it anyways and i cant be bothered to call support or whoever the fuck you have to call to sort these kind of things out just all around i have to say the way they've handled that as well as having complications to release the episodes at the right time hell even for the people who have the deluxe edition it seems has been a massive disaster

I certainly hope this won't happen when wolf 2 is out because i guarantee that there will be way more complaints if it does)

Anyways depending on what they do with what we found in this episode the game might have a chance to end on an interesting and strong? Well let's say decent note instead of a wet fart because let's be honest the plot was going nowhere until now.

Also one final thing/personal complaint for the last 10 minutes of the episode

where the fuck are virgil and the pilot did they just drop off the face of the earth ? You dont even see them in any shape or form at the end even with gunshots fired on the ship how come the episode suddenly started to focus after the beginning on just drummer maya and then the brothers who betray us (speaking of that i played the other path at first and trusted the brother and that had to be the biggest bait in history that little shitbird doesnt even help me and just goes like "yeah trust me actually im not gonna do anything you go in there heres a helmet to stay alive cause i kinda like you fuck your girlfriend tho" this is the weakest man i've ever seen lmao

So yeah that's episode 3 i expected way worse seeing people's opinions here but the game surprised me near the end with the whole

Ancient superweapon shit ok its kind of a cliche and super re-used trope especially in sci-fi IP's (Mass effect/star wars just off the top of my head just really recycling this trope a billion of times lol)

But hey there's actual stakes now so let's goooo lmao hopefully the next one can be a bit longer than this though.

• Shortest episode by far in just under 50 minutes for me, but honestly it was probably my favourite of the season lmao.

Much more linear exploration but there was a still a ton of stuff to interact with and I didn't suffer horrible motion sickness, having a crew member stick beside you the whole episode was a great choice and makes you feel more connected to them, the environmental storytelling was excellent with some really wonderfully morbid visuals (loved the look of the mausoleum) the last 10 minutes was pretty nuts with a great performance by Cara Gee, and the cliffhanger has me VERY interested in what happens next.

Probably an unpopular opinion on here but honestly the game has been getting better and better for me lol. I have some issues like the important items way too hidden and placed in pretty nonsensical locations, and the actions scenes being slow and flaccid. But I've been really enjoying the characters and the world of The Expanse. It's making me pretty interested in actually watching the show.

Also not really sure why people are suddenly bringing up the DnD episode of True Colours but I also really liked that episode lol. I've actually played DnD so that's probably why I enjoyed it so much.

Spoilers

• The space station looked GREAT! Loved the look of the mausoleum and really enjoyed exploring it with Maya!
    • Lots of stuff to look at and I thought it was pretty cool to learn about the people who lived in space before the Belters.
    • I've missed exactly one item in every episode so far. Goddammit.
    • I had an inkling that Maya was gonna double cross me at the end or something. Glad I was wrong but sad she died. People are saying you can save her even if you pursue a relationship with her which is pretty cool.
    • I wonder what happens if you go ahead and fight the brothers?
  • Yeah,this episode was very strange in terms of crew interactions its like one step forward with episode 2 with things like being able to give a gift to your companions and being rewarded for exploring with extra content/backstory to two steps backwards in this episode with barely any interaction with the rest of the crew and then focusing on characters that the writers prefer and using them to advance the plot at least that's how it seemed to me.

Another short episode. Also I feel we don't actually interact with the crew that much. Feels like drummer is always alone.

• Huh, didn't expect this game to tie into plot stuff from the main series, but cool to see.

That's pretty interesting. I assume it's the virus or the cult that ties into the main series?

(Spoiler)

• edited August 2023

Regarding the fighting against the brothers i mentioned it in my post but you get a QTE fight thats pretty intense and much faster shoot Arlen in both shoulders then put Rayen in the brig (with Cox if he survived that was a certified Nick moment my man had a 10 second cameo lmao)

Drummer gets her guard down and Arlen somehow managed with both shoulders shot to get the upper hand to kidnapp Maya she throws you the helmet but doesnt get spaced and live.
    Once again this just makes me wonder what the hell are Virgil and Khan doing and what is going to happen to Maya like i imagine Arlen is just going to help release his brother from the brig with potentially Cox so that whole scene in my game was worthless anyways technically but yeah thats pretty much it.

lupinb0y posted: »

Shortest episode by far in just under 50 minutes for me, but honestly it was probably my favourite of the season lmao. Much more linear e

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

There actually IS a path where Rayen helps, believe it or not. Not sure what triggers it, but there's a version of that scene where instead of letting Arlen shove him aside, he directly intervenes and punches him, which leads to the two of them having a fight and prevents Maya from getting thrown in the airlock.

iFoRias posted: »

Well finally some actual decent QTE's at the end of the episode I got the best ending here's what i did and also my thoughts/rambling on

• Wow,that is pretty cool then glad to know there is cause that kinda disappointed me considering i still gave him medicine despite cutting his leg so i figured it was just the devs making Rayen someone who isnt willing to stand up to his brother just so we can all end up on the same paths of having to be ejected from the ship

Like i get that i cut his leg so understandably we're not big buddies but it definitely felt odd to have him be like "trust me" only for you to regret trusting him lmao so it's pretty interesting that there's a third different version of that scene not sure what could trigger it either though.

Deltino posted: »

(Spoiler)

• So Maya won't die if you decide to just go ahead and fight the brothers even if you decide to pursue a relationship with her?

(Spoiler)

• Yeah, it's the "virus", it's kind of a huge setting changing thing in the series.

(Spoiler)

• Yeah,in my game i slept with her and still kept her alive im not sure if there are other things that this choice takes into account but i fought them and Maya helped me escape but didnt get spaced she just gets captured by Arlen instead.

(Spoiler)

• You still have the deluxe edition even if it says you dont. Everyone got fucked like that.

Well finally some actual decent QTE's at the end of the episode I got the best ending here's what i did and also my thoughts/rambling on

• It seems it comes down to ep1 choices above all if I have to guess.

Has anyone here broken up the fight between the twins, not cut Rayens leg off and then (maybe) given medicine. I saw people say that those first 2 are the big ones that will make Rayen save Maya vs letting her get spaced. Maybe If any of yall done all 3 of those things could debunk me once again :D I think it very much doesnt have to do with Maya at all though, just being nice and considerate of Rayen and possibly Arlen at all times.

• edited August 2023

I got the Scavenger Star achievement, so no more scavenging from now on, I guess?

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Turns out that QTE when you fight Arlen also changes the ending. If you only managed to shoot Arlen once, he still has enough strength to throw Maya in the airlock after she attacks him. If you shot him both times though, he's too weak to do so and just keeps her hostage with him. Combined with Rayen actually helping when you trust him, that means there's two outcomes for both choices. Neat.

• I'm honestly with ya man. Its not an amazing episode by any means, especially compared to most telltale episodes but it was pretty good! Felt like we were actually accomplishing something and making progress in the story finally.

Shortest episode by far in just under 50 minutes for me, but honestly it was probably my favourite of the season lmao. Much more linear e

• edited August 2023

So, I helped Rayen and Arlen throughout the entire season so far (beside getting the medicine), I slept with Maya, but I guess tried to be more empathetic rather than a stern captain, but that doesn't explain why Rayen didn't help me. AAAGH can someone figure this out already >:(

• Could very well just be the medicine

(Spoiler)

• Literally saved rayens leg and gave Arlen his meds and he still betrayed me >!

• Did you break up their fight too? Or slap Arlen

(Spoiler)

• edited August 2023

Wow this was probably the shortest episode of anything Telltale, clocked in at essentially 60 minutes for me -- and I made sure to explore everything I could..

First off, I liked this episode a lot plot-wise.
    It was cool seeing a new environment for once that wasn't the Ship or a debris field.

The mystery of delving deeper and deeper into the colony and how morbid the backstory of the people were was really interesting to me. Actually had a hook to it.

It being a super killer virus-thing was a surprise. I wish there were some choice of keeping/destroying it, but I understand, it's seemingly too powerful to even consider that.
    Literally kills humans within hours... I think?

Even so, can someone give me a briefing on who those random chucklehead pirates were? Were they in search of MK too? Did they have it, stash it, and were just waiting for the Urshanabi that never came? I think it's the latter, but honestly that episode was so quick and that moment was so fast that it was hard to figure out all at once. Man, this series really was intended to be all out at once...

I'm confused about Drummer's sudden use of the Data Drive from the first episode. Pulling up files of "The First Ones" and being like "yeah I saw this before"
    Either I missed something, or I forgot, but I don't ever remember looking at the data drive since Cox did his mutiny, so the fact this place tied into that original drive surprised me.

I thought we just stumbled upon the colony while on the run in the last episode? 🤔

The ending was SUPER intense though, for real.

I'd give this one a 7/10. Good, but I wish there was more.

Spoiler talk time!
    First up, HOW TF DO YOU SAVE MAYA??
    OMG this had me so heartbroken. Both in the fact that there seemed to be a really clear way she can live.
    Also there's a trophy for keeping the whole crew alive that I've been gunning for. This save file won't do it now, my alt file won't either since I'm doing all opposite choices -- so Cox is spaced. Dang. Third time's the charm then.

I see some people say it's related to Rayen/Arlen relationship. Hmm.
    I broke up their fight, cut off Rayen's leg, got the bros their medicine, and slept with Maya(? Does that really count?)
    I then trusted Rayen, but... I guess that wasn't enough..

Second, that betrayal seemed to have come out of nowhere.
    I'm assuming they must have listened in on the radio channels to know what the MKCore was, but still, it felt a little unearned when we still haven't spend all that much time with the crew so far :(

Also, uh, more bugs -- I can't look at my Episode 1 choices. Anyone else?

• Arlen be like

Arlen the next day be like

• Rayen explaining how venting you into space on an abandoned and nonfunctioning space station is actually helping and not killing you.

• Also just to add the Maya confusion she can still die if you don't do the romance either. (If this wasnt already said)

• Even so, can someone give me a briefing on who those random chucklehead pirates were?

I'm assuming they will probably end up being the ones who find Drummer and be her way out.

AChicken posted: »

Wow this was probably the shortest episode of anything Telltale, clocked in at essentially 60 minutes for me -- and I made sure to explore e

• No, no, not the ones from the last episode, not Toussaint's...

I mean the one person you murder in this episode, and his buddy that you find already dead?
    They originally found the MK Core, hid out in this old cult place, and were simply waiting for help (but their equipment failed on them)?

I just want a little clarification on it since it felt like a pretty quick scene in a quick episode.
    How long were they there for, how do people know about this MK Core thing?

Maybe I'm asking questions that'll be answered later, but I'm a little confused on how this episode finally picks up the plot on Cox's "Big Treasure" thing, when I don't remember that being in the cards for a few weeks now...

(Spoiler)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.