Is this game a scam?

I bought the game, quite excited to be honest, played for 1 HOUR an amazing premise and then, credits starts to roll? what happens? when i try episode two it redirects my browser to buy the game again!!!
Epic store page description clearly mentions that 5 episodes are included, then how is it that we can only play the first one?
Im sorry but i had to refund the game as soon as it is not possible to play the full game which is what I payed for. If the game is not complete, dont sell it nor charge full price, otherwise is a scam as people are buying a complete game.

Comments

• Episode 2 will be release on Aug 10th as far as I know. But they could have made that clear on the shop pages.

• Thanks for the info @Birs84. I guess i will have to wait until everything is released but i completely agree they should clearly state we are getting only the first episode (1 hour and a half of gameplay).

• I'm not even getting the first episode cause the game doesn't launch

• edited July 2023

I am pretty frustrated about this. Usually I see Telltale games selling by the chapter. I go onto the Playstation store and it says The Expanse game gives you chapters 1-5 plus bonus content for $44.99. I love the Expanse so I pass on Remnant 2 to buy this game, only to find out the Expanse game is not even really released. Why hide that only episode 1 is available? The Developer will not even respond to requests to talk with their support.

I just cannot grasp why you would piss off new customers? This is a new title for them. If I wasn't so mad I would be inclined to buy past games they have created. I am a big fan of Walking Dead. As it stands, I wouldn't buy another game from them.

What kind of developer sells a game as released that is not released? I have never heard of that. I get they release in episodes. If that is the case why not say, "Hey only episode 1 is available right now?" Why hide from your players that only 1 episode is available?

I tried to return it only to find out Playstation does not do returns and telltale doest respond to support.

• I got a response inside 15 mins, presumably by mentioning the word "refund". They asked if I tried reinstalling. Quality stuff. Separate issue from yours, but apparently support threads aren't allowed. They don't want other people seeing them. Am assuming this thread will be locked and hidden too.

Javasack posted: »

I am pretty frustrated about this. Usually I see Telltale games selling by the chapter. I go onto the Playstation store and it says The Expa

• If you did the littlest of research you would have been able to find the abundance of tweets and news articles talking about this being a biweekly episodic release.

• Why would I research it? PlayStation store said pay $44.99 and get episodes 1 - 5 plus bonus episode. Why wouldn’t it say that episodes would be released over time when you are purchasing it? Why wouldn’t it say episode 1 is available now and other episodes will be released sometime in the future? When you buy something that is delivered over time usually it says that when you are buying it.

The developer putting information about releasing content over time on their website does not excuse packaging their product to appear as if you are getting an actual game you can play. The demos of new games on the PlayStation store are often longer than the first episode of the expanse.

What’s worse is I have sent three different messages to the support team and have heard nothing from them. I mean what can they say? That I should have done external research outside of the PlayStation store so I would know that when telltales says you can play episodes 1 - 5 that they really mean you can play them as they release over the next couple of months?

I have bought hundreds of games over the years. This is the first time I have bought a game that says it’s released when it isn’t.

I really dont get it. The first episode was great. If they simply would have said episodes would be released over a few months I would have still bought it. I just would have waited until they all released.

All the other telltale games on PlayStation store state what you are getting. Typically, if one episode is available they sell that one episode. At least that is how they’re walking dead games look on the PlayStation store.

If you did the littlest of research you would have been able to find the abundance of tweets and news articles talking about this being a biweekly episodic release.

• From the playstation store description

Includes:
    Episode 1: Archer's Paradox (Available July 27, 2023)
    Episode 2: Hunting Grounds (Available August 10, 2023)
    Episode 3: First Ones (Available August 24, 2023)
    Episode 4: Impossible Objects (Available September 7, 2023)
    Episode 5: Europa's Folly (Available September 21, 2023)

Why would I research it? PlayStation store said pay $44.99 and get episodes 1 - 5 plus bonus episode. Why wouldn’t it say that episodes woul

• Lol, I see that was added to the very bottom of the legal section. Literally, it is under the legal terms at the very bottom. What a joke. Moving forward I guess I should read the legal section under, “any likeness of characters in the game to people is purely coincidental.” Oh and by the way, the released game you are buying is not actually available to play.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

Telltale have always released their games episodically, if you purchased and had access to all episodes before it would have been after all the episodes already released.

Also if you think a bi-weekly wait is bad there where often months between episodes on their previous games which was't that fun.

Please note moderators are not telltale staff

I am pretty frustrated about this. Usually I see Telltale games selling by the chapter. I go onto the Playstation store and it says The Expa

• Regardless owning a tweet account or doing any kind of research, the point is that we pay full price for an incomplete product. These dates has been updated recently. Its fine if you agree to pay full price for one HOUR of gameplay but i do not.
    Im glad that i was able to refund the game but at least i know now that i have to wait until September 21 to repurchase the game. Thanks for all the comments, its good to let them know this is pissing many people.

• I get that. This is the first Telltale game I have purchased. I see their games on the Playstation store all the time and they are always listed something like, " Walking Dead Episode 4 - $5.99." When I saw "Expanse Episodes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - $44.99" I figured they were packing and releasing them all. Why not just sell the chapter that was available?

I think it is unprofessional of Telltale to not respond to any of my three support requests over the past three days. I get they are probably getting flooded with refund requests. It seems Telltale's core community understood that The Expanse would be released over a few months. I also think Expanse fans like myself are perplexed how I just spend $44 to play one hour of a video game.

OzzyUK posted: »

Telltale have always released their games episodically, if you purchased and had access to all episodes before it would have been after all

• edited August 2023

I guess if you're new to this type of game it can be a bit confusing. You will get all the episodes but they release episodically. If you don't like that then you should wait until they released all the episodes which would be 21 September. If you would buy it on that date you would instantly have access to all 5 episodes.

• That’s the point. New players to this developer had no idea, because the description of the game would make you think the game is playable.

I can almost guarantee other new telltale players who bought the game were like, “wtf is happening..”

Hypnosis posted: »

I guess if you're new to this type of game it can be a bit confusing. You will get all the episodes but they release episodically. If you do

• Yeah I think it is a fair point. There could be a bigger disclaimer, especially since Telltale has been inactive for a while and there are probably new players who are not familiar with this style of releasing a game.

That’s the point. New players to this developer had no idea, because the description of the game would make you think the game is playable. I can almost guarantee other new telltale players who bought the game were like, “wtf is happening..”

• Imagine if this guy played Tales episode 1 when it released, he'd definitely lose his mind lol

OzzyUK posted: »

Telltale have always released their games episodically, if you purchased and had access to all episodes before it would have been after all

Sign in to comment in this discussion.