Episode One is scandalous!

edited November 2006 in Sam & Max
Hi there,

I just wanted to post this first to tell you that I’m so glad to see Sam & Max again in a so bloody good game (okay, I just played the demo but… It’s Sam! And Max! And Talent!). But you don’t really care, do you?

No really, your game is scandalous! I’m Swiss (that excuses my pity English, I hope) and just let me tell you… SWISS CHEESE DOESN’T HAVE HOLES! What you, in America, name Swiss Cheese is actually named Gruyère, like the little village it comes from. It’s very common to say “Hahaha this golf course has as many holes as Gruyère!” (especially frog-eaters say that), and that’s seriously getting on my nerves. So your riddle with Sam’s big gun is totally wrong and illogical. Therefore, if you don’t want me to say it to the press (and it’s surely worth a first page of The National Inquirer), you can buy my silence with a .45 in the neck an activation code for the game. And I can become your Official Swiss Stereotypes Advisor too, so if you want to (and you will) use chocolate, bank or yodel humor, I’ll be there to help you to do things right and slowly (I’m Swiss, did you forget?).

PS : I love what you’re doing :D

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Just as well the rat was an American rat, not a Swiss one, huh?
  • edited November 2006
    My god! I'm so disillusioned! Telltale, how could you deceive us all in such a manner - are you part of the cheese conspiracy?

-emo tear- :'(
  • edited November 2006
    Espèce de Petit Suisse!
  • edited November 2006
    Wow. If you had know how many times I had to hear this joke! :p
  • edited November 2006
    Well that depends...

If you're talking in the generic sense, 'swiss cheese' DOES have holes (or 'eyes'), and generally refers in many areas of the world to Emmental, from Emme, in Berne.

Gruyère of course doesn't, and in (many? most?) parts of Europe, 'swiss cheese' in the generic sense isn't used, as the cheeses are identified individually. Definitely most Swiss cheeses don't have eyes, like Raclette, Sbrinz, Schabziger, or Vacherin. Some have cracks or tiny holes though, like Appenzeller and Tilsit, but no way are they like the generic holey swiss cheeses you see in popular imagery.

As far as the US is concerned, 'swiss cheese' is perfectly common, acceptable, and correct when referring to that 'class', for lack of a better word, of cheese (though the depiction of swiss cheese is most like Emmental).

Similar I guess to the US use of 'Kleenex' as a generic name for tissues, or 'Xeroxing' for photocopying, etc. Now THAT's brand infiltration :-)

Only on a Sam and Max board could I be talking about the intricacies of cheese... I love cheese (can you tell? hee hee)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    All this time, I've thought Gruyère was goat cheese? :confused:
  • edited November 2006
    Dear me... perhaps we need a cheese discussion forum too?
  • edited November 2006
    Emily wrote: »

Tsk tsk. For shame.
  • edited November 2006
    Emily wrote: »
    tabacco wrote: »
    Tsk tsk. For shame.

Hehe newp, good ol' moo-cows...

I want cheese.

Dammit...

:p
  • edited November 2006
    Ugh, cheese. It's fine during breakfast, but I don't like cheese that's gotten all moist and stinky after you open your lunchbox at work, for lunch.

--Erwin
  • edited November 2006
    LOL... open your lunchbox...
  • edited November 2006
    I'm lactose intolerant... and even though cheese is processed up the wazoo, it still makes me sick...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.