Sam & Max - Sales Numbers?

edited December 2006 in Sam & Max
I'd like to hear how well, or not well, Sam & Max is doing.

It's of interest to me, in that I hope to see this as a continuing endeavor.

Is it paying off, financially, yet? Is it enough to keep Telltale games doing business?

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    It's doing well. :)

We can't give out numbers, of course, but we're all very happy with the sales so far!
  • edited November 2006
    Great news :)
  • edited November 2006
    Emily wrote: »

We can't give out numbers, of course, but we're all very happy with the sales so far!

Awesome!
    Keep em comin and I'll keep payin! :D
  • edited November 2006
    I won't be asking for numbers--but I'm wondering if Gametap gives you guys figures on how many users have downloaded/played the game, which would be helpful for you guys to gauge whether or not the deal you made with them was worth it or not, since I'd assume many (though not necessarily all) of the people playing on Gametap would have potentially paid you guys instead. Moot point right now, but maybe useful down the road, say for asking Gametap for more money the next season or taking your chances at going it alone without them.
  • edited November 2006
    I was wondering about this as well - because it seems that the quality of this first episode is outstanding and I can only see you guys getting better and better. If you have already managed to recieve a reasonable sales figure, it will only get better when word of mouth spreads and future installments brings the series to new heights.

At this point I hate to think of a time when there won't be a Sam & Max episode waiting for me at the end of a month - I hope there are many more more series to come after this and there wont be too much of a wait between them (although I can imagine the burnout after each six :P ). But simply - more sales = more Sam & Max. And so its great to hear things are already going well :p
  • edited November 2006
    They made 6 trillion bucks for CULTURE SHOCK.

Source: FBI. I just called 'em and they told me when I said my name was April O'Neal, reporter for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle news.
  • edited November 2006
    I guess the numbers of copies sold are between 100 and 10000000.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    numble wrote: »
    I won't be asking for numbers--but I'm wondering if Gametap gives you guys figures on how many users have downloaded/played the game

I haven't heard anything like this, but we do know that Sam & Max continues to be the most played game on GameTap. It's been at the top of the list since it debuted there on Oct 17.
  • edited November 2006
    Ah well, maybe they will. I think one of the hidden benefits of Gametap is all the information they can surreptitiously gather on their users. It really looks like the mechanisms are in place for them to figure out how long a user plays a certain game. Though inexact--(you don't know if they're playing it multiple times, still going through their first pass, or are letting their friends or family members play it), combined with demographic profiles and data on their habits with other games (are they users that play Tetris and Pac-Man, or Space Quest and Last Express)--and boom, instant market research!

But 3 weeks on the top of the list, even after their release of Contra and Silent Hill 2, is sure to bold well for you guys.
  • edited November 2006
    I was just wondering: what is the reason behind Telltale's (and other companies) policy not to release sales numbers? A recent example is a well known company stating that its most recent game has already garnered a million sales (I would use names, but I fear that could be considered advertisement for the other company). Or will Telltale be releasing figures later, and just isn't wanting to release figures early?

Ooh, another example. Movie revenues are always reported by the week. I guess I am just interested in seeing the number of sales to see how big the fan base currently is. But if the numbers can't, and wont ever be released, I will be happy to hear "It is doing well" or, even better, "It is exceeding expectations." Yeah, that would be good to hear.
  • LGHLGH
    edited November 2006
    Emily wrote: »

;)
  • edited November 2006
    They have sold exactly 12.3 billion copies as of yesterday.
  • edited November 2006
    That's a shame. I was hopin' for 12.4. *kicks the dirt*
  • edited November 2006
    mikdog wrote: »
    They have sold exactly 12.3 billion copies as of yesterday.

Nice, they really reached an off-planet audience with this one then :D
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, we shoud be careful. If Telltale discontinues the Sam and Max series, we might have an alien invasion on our hands.

--Erwin
  • edited November 2006
    Derwin wrote: »
    I was just wondering: what is the reason behind Telltale's (and other companies) policy not to release sales numbers? A recent example is a well known company stating that its most recent game has already garnered a million sales (I would use names, but I fear that could be considered advertisement for the other company). Or will Telltale be releasing figures later, and just isn't wanting to release figures early?

Ooh, another example. Movie revenues are always reported by the week. I guess I am just interested in seeing the number of sales to see how big the fan base currently is. But if the numbers can't, and wont ever be released, I will be happy to hear "It is doing well" or, even better, "It is exceeding expectations." Yeah, that would be good to hear.

Well, as a publicly traded company they would have to make the information available to all of their share holders, usually through press releases, etc.

As a private company they are not required to do this. The main reason for hiding sales #'s is to keep the information from the competition. If they are having good sales, they wouldn't want the competition to go after their market by making games in a similar form/fashion. If they are having bad sales, they don't want their customers to know/lose confidence in the company's ability to deliver future games as it could hurt preorder sales for the entire season of whatever game they are working on, thus making the situation worse.

Privately held companies have certain advantages over publicly held companies in this regard. However publicly held companies usually GO public because they are looking for an infusion of additional money via people buying their stock.
  • edited November 2006
    Erwin wrote: »
    Yeah, we shoud be careful. If Telltale discontinues the Sam and Max series, we might have an alien invasion on our hands.

--Erwin

I like to imagine that if they did see Sam and Max they would probably blacklist our planet just in case it's anything like the game.
  • edited November 2006
    Hey, if they stop developing Sam & Max, they will not only lose the gamers money, but they will be cut from Gametap's funding as well.

So the chances are 1:1000000 that they'll stop developing Sam & Max. So stop worrying ;)
  • edited November 2006
    Jokieman wrote: »
    Well, as a publicly traded company they would have to make the information available to all of their share holders, usually through press releases, etc.

As a private company they are not required to do this. The main reason for hiding sales #'s is to keep the information from the competition. If they are having good sales, they wouldn't want the competition to go after their market by making games in a similar form/fashion. If they are having bad sales, they don't want their customers to know/lose confidence in the company's ability to deliver future games as it could hurt preorder sales for the entire season of whatever game they are working on, thus making the situation worse.

Privately held companies have certain advantages over publicly held companies in this regard. However publicly held companies usually GO public because they are looking for an infusion of additional money via people buying their stock.

Thank you very much, that helps alot. I should have realized that Telltale was not a publicly traded company.
  • edited November 2006
    Lucas arts could attack and buy them out if they went public....

NAAAYT!
  • edited November 2006
    I can imagine LucasArts like: "Hey, graphic adventures still really DO SELL! Let's start doing'em again... Oooops, every talented worker left the company. Too bad, let's make Traxion 2"
  • edited November 2006
    Hey at this point I'd be happy if Lucas offered them their franchises. Ron Gilbert wants to do a final Monkey Island game, and I doubt LA is willing to finance. Monkey Island is perfect for episodic play anyway, it was always "chapter" based

I'd love another Maniac Mansion, and Les Nessman isn't getting any younger :)
  • edited November 2006
    Wickywoo wrote: »
    Hey at this point I'd be happy if Lucas offered them their franchises. Ron Gilbert wants to do a final Monkey Island game, and I doubt LA is willing to finance. Monkey Island is perfect for episodic play anyway, it was always "chapter" based

I'd love another Maniac Mansion, and Les Nessman isn't getting any younger :)

Yeah! There's an entire thread about this: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909 :)
  • edited November 2006
    dunkpork wrote: »
    I'd like to hear how well, or not well, Sam & Max is doing.

It's of interest to me, in that I hope to see this as a continuing endeavor.

Is it paying off, financially, yet? Is it enough to keep Telltale games doing business?

I bought one - So that's at least one copy they've sold!
  • edited November 2013
Sign in to comment in this discussion.